Not cooking on the RTV manifold

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hey......I grew up with cooking on a wood stove then due to circumstances since then electric ranges. We are gonna try one of these new kind of glass surface cook stoves. Yes, we still heat with wood, though the house has 2 heat pumps. No smart mouths, not gonna cook on the wood heater except maybe a mess of chili from time to time or during a power outage. Anyway, I understand how fragile they can be and how one has to replace the whole high dollar thing if broken. Yes, they scratch by just moving a skillet wrong.

So, that is my question. Do they make any kind of "pad" to sit pans on while they cook? Or, when one is sitting down a cast iron type of pan one does tend to drag it slightly. Why can't a fella just make a round piece of tempered type glass to sit pans on that might scratch or mar the surface?????........God bless......Dennis

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
What I have read suggests you don't slide, twist or drop a cast iron pan on the the glass surface. Otherwise, it works great. You might do a Goggle search for more information and hints on how to use the new cooking surface.

Kanook

We've had 2 of them...the 1st got taken out by a lightning strike and the current one is about 10 years old. I've had to replace 2 of the heating elements so far, likely because our line voltage is quite high. The glass surface has been very durable and other than maybe not being quite as glossy as new is still in good shape. The manufacturer recommends that cast iron pans not be used....but we do.

1HOTDJ

Our house came with one of those glass tops. I took it out and put in a good ole reliable gas cook top. Nothing like instant heat. So now when the power goes out, we can still cook.

urednecku

Our house came with one of those glass tops. I took it out and put in a good ole reliable gas cook top. Nothing like instant heat. So now when the power goes out, we can still cook.

Love the gas!! Never missed a meal because of the electric out. Have had family/neighbors come over to cook Christmas Lunch 'cause they didn't have electric to run their stove!
Turn it on, got heat. Turn it off, heat goes away, the pot stops boiling over without having to get my hands near a pot of sure 2nd or 3rd degree burns to get it off the heat.

Even when hurricane Charlie had electric out for about a week, (and the other 2 hurricanes within the next month or so) I still had hot coffee & hot meals. :starbucks:

Just my opinion.