Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I'm confused on the Milwaukee battery names and sizes. The only item of the ones on sale that I could justify is the Milwaukee 2498-24 M12 Lithium-Ion 4-Tool Combo Kit

It comes with two batteries and you can get a FREE Milwaukee 4.0ah XC Battery with this item! A $77.90 value.

The tools would use a smaller battery than the pole saw and weed eater I just bought ...I'm guessing. and 4.0ah XC does not sound like the name of the battery that works in the pole saw. Can anyone verify this. I'm not buying unless I get the battery that fits the pole saw and weed eater setup. Thx.

yes it is kind of a trap. i don't have any of the 12 volt or M12 tools and don't need any either so unless i had a friend that needs the tool part of the deal it would be a no go for me. i use only the M18 and M18 Fuel tools but there was some deals where a tool i needed was on sale with a free battery so i purchased the tool and took advantage of the free batt. i also got a couple of good deals on a deal that gave me two battery for the price of one deals.
you just have to wait for something that comes along that fits. when i was tooling up i would check the website daily in the DEAL ZONE for unadvertised deals. i saved quit a bit of money. does that make sense???

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
yes it is kind of a trap. i don't have any of the 12 volt or M12 tools and don't need any either so unless i had a friend that needs the tool part of the deal it would be a no go for me. i use only the M18 and M18 Fuel tools but there was some deals where a tool i needed was on sale with a free battery so i purchased the tool and took advantage of the free batt. i also got a couple of good deals on a deal that gave me two battery for the price of one deals.
you just have to wait for something that comes along that fits. when i was tooling up i would check the website daily in the DEAL ZONE for unadvertised deals. i saved quit a bit of money. does that make sense???
Yep, that makes sense and that was exactly what I suspected. Wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for clarifying.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
another piece of advice is that i under estimated the run time vs charge time on the M18 battery especially when running the FUEL tools. as it turns out i probably could have used a lessor amp hour battery and just run two. charge time on mine is less than the time it takes me to run one down so with the cigarette charger i can work at my pace indefinitely.

remember i said "at my pace". for example>>> with the chainsaw i have found that two 9 amp hour battery are better than one 12 amp hour battery. much lighter and i can always have a full batt. if i had just one 12 amp hour batt i would have to do something else while the batt charged up. but i must say i can usually get everything done with just one 12 amp batt.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good tip. My wife likes to run the weed eater and lighter is always better for her. Thanks.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good new, bad news.

Good news - Yesterday was my last day at work. Back into retirement! YEA! Too many things going on to work a full-time job then take care of everything else so I resigned.

Bad news - Tuesday evening, we got hit with 6" of rain in under 6 hours. In our hilly area, that means all the runoff runs down the hills to the creek at the bottom (which is in my back yard). Well, we got flooded pretty badly. Our normally 15' wide creek expanded out to over 100' wide. All 3 of my buildings got water/mud and there enough water got into our basement that we had to rip out some carpeting. There's a lot of debris I need to clean out of our yard (things that came downstream) including a 30' long steel bridge that's jammed up right behind the house. Too wet to get a tractor to it so I'll just be looking at it for the next several days or weeks.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wow Zoom, That is some king of water to move a bridge. I'm sorry that you had so much damage. If were closer would sure offer to help . Maybe your homeowner's ins will cover some of the costs even if caused by flood. God bless ya'll. judy

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that sounds horrible Brian. We've had to deal with the mess from flood water that gets in the house (not my house but my parents). We had to replace drywall, insulation, carpet etc etc. The water brings a lot of crap with it. No fun at all. Hope you have flood insurance.

I'd suspect someone will come looking for a 30ft bridge. Amazing the water would move it that far.

Have you ever flooded before?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Creek has come over the banks several times before but never this bad. Don't have flood insurance.

Talked to the owner of the bridge. He'll help get it out but not yet sure if it can be reused. Either way, he'll make arrangements for getting it hauled out of my place.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Must've been some powerful current to move the bridge.
Good luck getting things back to normal and congrats on your latest retirement. I have to wonder how long this one will last. LOL :poke:
If the water got to drywall ...we cut the drywall about 36 inches up and put in wainscoting. Much easier than replacing sheets of drywall and it looked good in my parents game room.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Wow, that sounds horrible Brian. We've had to deal with the mess from flood water that gets in the house (not my house but my parents). We had to replace drywall, insulation, carpet etc etc. The water brings a lot of crap with it. No fun at all. Hope you have flood insurance.

I'd suspect someone will come looking for a 30ft bridge. Amazing the water would move it that far.

Have you ever flooded before?

Is that what they call "A Bridge Too Far"..?? :14_6_12:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If that bridge was made out of a railroad car it will sure be heavy. It's awesome to have such a high caliber neighbor to own up to his responsibilities.
That's a great idea Doc ! I did that at my late parents home - used a battery operated dewalt nailer and it went up fast.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
BC, just what you need to fill up those "retirement" days!!!

Gives new meaning to the saying, 'I have a bridge I'll sell you'.

Hope you can soon get your place back like it was before the flooding.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Things are getting a little better. Mowed the lawn yesterday as it was nearly a foot tall. Lots of mud though so it looks like crap.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's good to hear Zoom. I feel for ya'll with the water damage! How did that tile floor fare in the garage? I think it was black and white checkered? .( I remember it being pictured and spoken about on a post many years ago.)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, you have a heck of a memory. That garage is the one attached to the garage and was unaffected. It was all my other buildings that sit lower on the property that got the water.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Haha on the memory- I just remember it because I was amazed that tile could be laid out so perfectly in that pattern. :tiphat: collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Brisket !! Tender too !!

I cooked/ smoked a 14 lb prime brisket ($3.45 LB) a couple of days ago. In the past, I never had much luck with them being tender but a pellet smoker made all the difference this time.
I trimmed off the big hunks of white hard fat and using an injector, pushed in beef broth everywhere it would go deep into the brisket . Next step , I rubbed with spicy brown mustard. Then sprinkled with Morton kosher salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Next, it was time for the smoking to start. I use low ash pellets at night which were a mix of barkless mesquite , cherry and oak I started it at 8:30 pm at 190 degrees - The next morning the layer of pellets in the hopper with the bark included as content were giving out more smoke :) , the meat probe was showing 150 degrees so I turned it up to 225. When it reached the magic "wrap it peach paper temperature of 165 "it was spritzed with beef broth and wrapped up like precious cargo. Finally, at 4 pm, it reached the target temperature of 204 and was ready to put in a cooler to rest for 2 hours or more. I left it in the peach paper till it was time to cut.
Then I cut it about in half as I saw illustrated on a utube video and sliced the flat across the grain. when I finished that, I turned the point cut side to me, and cut it in half and started slicing , making sure I was still going across the grain and it worked out that the top of the point , had a layer of fat and was able to slide that part off and cut it across the grain too. It was very tender all around. It fed over 26 folks and a couple of puppies -with leftovers too. :)
Does anyone have a favorite brand of pellets? I use the Lumberjack brand for the smoke since they use bark, but overnight, I use bbq delight or trager because there's less ash with them-( it seems)

Attachments

• KIMG0130 (2).jpg
    KIMG0130 (2).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 24
  • KIMG0131.jpg
    KIMG0131.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.