RTV Daily uses, What did you do today with your RTV?

RickW

I think you had more of a traction issue than a power issue. My X1100 has the industrial tires and it does not take much for it to start having traction problems when it is empty and on wet ground. Even with a load of sand (about 1/2 yard) I can transverse uneven ground in high gear with the A/C on and not need to lock the rear end or put it in 4WD.

I have a 4x8 enclosed utility trailer. I use the X1100 for putting it in its parking space in the pole barn. The trailer is light enough that it can be picked up and moved by hand on pavement with ease. I use the front hitch when parking the trailer as it is easier to see what I am doing. With just the tongue weight of the trailer on the front hitch and nothing in the bed for weight, I have to use 4WD or I will not have enough traction from the rear even if locked. When I pull it out I use the rear hitch. 4WD is not needed. Just that little shift of weight from rear/front makes a huge difference.

Look at this RTV @7:06 in this u-tube video.

Look at the weights added to front and rear. Granted this RTV is moving a lot of weight.

@11:05 the RTV pushes the tractor back in the trailer.

Frankenkubota

Birds Nest

I just discovered, I have a birds nest in the side of my rtv. It's well established and have noticed mom go back and forth.

I' guess I have taken either the eggs or the babies for some exciting rides in the last few days.

I use it every day, my drive is 2600 ft.

Do I gently pull the nest out and relocate it or.

Do I just keep on keeping on, try to limit my use?

Anybody know about how long?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What kind of bird? I'd probably remove the nest. It'll probably be abandoned but if you drive around with it the mom may abandon the nest in the RTV anyway.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I just discovered, I have a birds nest in the side of my rtv. It's well established and have noticed mom go back and forth.

I' guess I have taken either the eggs or the babies for some exciting rides in the last few days.

I use it every day, my drive is 2600 ft.

Do I gently pull the nest out and relocate it or.

Do I just keep on keeping on, try to limit my use?

Anybody know about how long?

you could make "Birds Nest Soup" :yum:

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Robins take about 12-14 days to hatch and that's probably normal for a lot of birds so I'd probably just remove it and set it on something under a protected area close to where the "bota is located and drive on.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's probably a wren . They build little clean nest wound real tight with a deep hole for the nestlings. Sparrows on the other hand have a messy nest.
If you have a small basket, and lf it were me, I'd put the nest in it and hang real close by.
I just had some bluebirds blown out of a nest by the latest tropical storm. I picked them up with the mama chirping at me and placed in a basket hung on a tree limb. She went right to it. I should have put more straw in it though because we've had some low temps and I know that one has passed. You gotta try though. If and when they hatch if left in the rtv, they would probably hop or fall out as the RTV moved about. Thanks for asking and God bless you for caring. collie

Frankenkubota

Hydraulic fluid change

Hello everyone and in general, thx for the advice!

Possibly wrong thread? Not my strong suit! Not sure what is!

I bought a 1140, built in 2015, that has been heavily modified. The basic mechanicals are all there but, new heavy heavy! duty bed with tool boxes, back seat gone, crane! And paint by Walmart rattle can etc etc. Runs like a top but it has been neglected. 300 hours, paid $4900

I just changed the motor oil and filter and now time for the rest. I called 3 dealers with this simple question. In the world of Kubota RTVs, is trans fluid and hydraulic fluid the same. As you know, in many vehicles it’s not!

First 2 dealers said check your manual. Of course I’ve got No manual and difficult to find exact manual for my model. Such a simple question.

The 3rd guy, I could tell by his voice he had grey hair said....yup, same thing, what’s the problem? Then he took a moment and told me what to do, I hope he was right.

Here’s what he said. To do both the trans and hydraulics it would take a little over 7 gallons! That’s fine with me but does that sound accurate? He said there are 2 drains. One in the back and 1 under the front seat. Again, sound right? And of course the 2 filters.

I’m going with all oem stuff, this vehicle needs some love!

I got baby birds now in my rtv. Time to hook up the batt charger

Thx in advance, summers here

Frankenkubota

Today, rear view mirror

2 thumbs up

I post this to let folks know the rear view mirror I bought on amazon fits my rtv, 1140, about 2014. I was worried the circular clamp would be too small, it’s fine.

There have been many mods to my “Frank the tank” but im pretty sure it still has the original front half of the oem roll bar.

The mirror was about $22, all it says is, sold by Maverick Advantage. Again, Amazon.

Should have taken 5 minutes but, I refused to take the top or windshield off so I wasted 20 minutes, then loosened the top.

I thought I posted 3 photos but, maybe not?, I don’t interface well with technology.

Attachments

• EFE7AB5A-73DF-4A6D-AD8E-C6CD2F343C50.jpg
    EFE7AB5A-73DF-4A6D-AD8E-C6CD2F343C50.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 4D8C7F5E-FB9D-4FAF-93AD-1219E8C4E72B.jpg
    4D8C7F5E-FB9D-4FAF-93AD-1219E8C4E72B.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 96
  • E8AE4AE1-3C11-4F80-A7C4-8110E41676C0.jpg
    E8AE4AE1-3C11-4F80-A7C4-8110E41676C0.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 96

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Frankenkubota, Congrats on your find !! Our sponsor Messicks has a great website when you can look around. They have a maintenance chart with the fluid capacities and how often to change etc . They also have diagrams of the parts - like in the shop parts manual.
The sudt2 is superior hydraulic oil in the transmission and although expensive the sudt2 is synthetic (or was when I bought mine last) and doesn't foam like some aftermarket hyd oils.
The Messicks site will ask you to enter an email but that is just for the requirements Kubota headquarters has. Put in your model and enjoy looking around. https://www.messicks.com/vendor/kubota bordercollie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome aboard.....SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT A GREAT MACHINE AT A GOOD PRICE.....Border Collie is right on by advising to use SUD2 FOR THE TRANS AND HYDRO NEEDS OF THE MACHINE.....Some folks have tried to go cheap and used hydro fluid for like TSC and then report on it doesn't run correctly or even damage happening...…………..So, do what you do; but it's good advice almost always that is given here....Good luck and God blesss…….Dennis

Frankenkubota

Weedy trees

Not sure if this is the right place but....

Break time.

I have a pine tree farm, been a tree farm for 100 years, replanted 30 years ago and thinned but, never been burned. Search...Why we burn pine forests?

The forestry service suggests a prescribed burn every 7 years or so. Just did it but it’s gonna take a lot more fire! They said a tree farm is really an unnatural environment, the weedy trees are taking all the good stuff from the dirt and....you absolutely can not walk through it.

It’s a jungle, the pines tower but the rest are weedy trees, probably 10 types, nasty. I’m taking 5 acres for myself, the ticks can have the rest. I’m going at the weedy trees with a pruner, lopper , small chain saw, large chain saw, pile them with trunks pointing the same direction and tie a rope around and pull them to a massive burn pile.

Side benefit is, all that tree dragging cleans up the old logging trails.

Breaks over

Attachments

• FC1EEAD5-B8D1-4CAF-AE40-3D3AD9845666.jpg
    FC1EEAD5-B8D1-4CAF-AE40-3D3AD9845666.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 82

Frankenkubota

Oil filters?

Did 50 hr on tractor and 400 hr on rtv.

Headed to recycling tomorrow

Supposed to be a picture.....it’s me.

Attachments

• EF52825F-B84F-4BC5-867D-A44AFAD2F4C3.jpg
    EF52825F-B84F-4BC5-867D-A44AFAD2F4C3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 55

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Moved 30ton of #4 stone Saturday using the RTV and BX tractor. First time I used the loader to fill the RTV and I worked slowly to make sure I did not damage the RTV. It took us about three hours including time to float out the finished job. Two years ago, that same job took five people almost a full day to move with shovels and wheel barrows. The RTV did not squat but you could tell it had a good load on. My Wife and I thank the good Lord for these machines. Our backs are getting too old to move gravel and stuff like we used to.