RTV1140CPX lost its head is this all RTV's

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
blow by is coming around the rings. most likely got hot enough to take some temper out of the rings or could be carbon causing a stuck ring. a good measure to take to cure stuck rings is to dilute the engine oil with ATF "don't overfill" about 50%. run at no load until warm and let it cool and repeat a few times then change the oil back to normal. heat is probably because the radiator is restricted or the thermostat has been removed or faulty. could be the fan motor isn't running up to speed of the shroud is allowing re circulation of hot air. there was a recall i think on these also so have a dealer run your serial to see if it applies.

J3SRanch

New thermostat installed. I was kinda thinking radiator needs flushed I'm guessing previous owner probably has put a bunch of Stop Leak through it to try to fix head problems and has caused flow problems with flow restrictions in radiator.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
ya know i kind of remember somewhere i read that if the engines were severely overheated that the impeller on the water pump can become detached . not sure though so do some research.

v10rick

Site Supporter
Climbing a hill to my mail box the gauge registers about 1/3 scale, after replacing the head. Never hear the fan running, I have confirmed that the fan motor is good.

I had some blow by, but replacing the crank case vent valve resolved that. FYI the valve is built into the valve cover. It's an expensive bugger, about $50+

Maybe air in the coolant system? I replaced the radiator, OEM was $500!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the update. I'm hoping it was air in the cooling system too. That happens sometimes when coolant is changed. There are some posts on here about that.
That is some great information you have provided us with - so glad you are part of our RTV family. :tiphat: bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
very very probable there is air in the cooling system. i read somewhere that it helps to jack the front of the machine up and burp the air? look at the thermostat housing for a bleed plug???

shinnery

Here is my experence I bought a 06 RTV900 off eGag out of Phoenix.
My '06 must have ran hot before I got it since the cooling system was not complete. The spigot below the thermostat for the by-pass hose was broken off and missing. The bypass tube was there, I got a 1/8" pipe tap and threaded the housing then screwed in a piece of brass 1/8' pipe to connect up the by-pass hose. Then I discovered the water pump was dripping fluid out the port under the shaft. When the new water pump came in I discovered there were no fins left on the impeller of the old pump so it couldn't have pumped much water. Once I got a system that held coolant I have had no more problems, There was just a lump of pot metal on the shaft of the pump where fins were supposed to be.