Oil for 900 RTV

Boxcarman

Time to change oil in my new to me 900 RTV 2006. Isn't there a letter code on oil that tells you if it's diesel approved? I think it's the letter "C" for diesels. Would running a 10w-30 diesel synthetic oil be fine. Does Mobil 1 make a 10w-30 diesel approved synthetic oil? BCM

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know diddly about synthetics for the engine, good old Shell Rotella 10-40 has done pretty good service for me. Now you have started the oil thread so stand by for the experts knowing all and then just some of the plain folk's opinion as to what has brought them good service........Welcome aboard. Good luck...........Dennis

ovrszd

Yes, "C" oil is generally for heavy use such as diesel engines. Most manufacturers warn against using Synthetic oil in "new" engines. Since yours is 11 years old that rule doesn't apply. It's a personal decision regarding synthetic. I use synthetic in the wife's SUV gasser engine. She puts on a lot of miles. I run dino oil in my truck and tractors. I believe a reliable change program is more important than what oil you use.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I don't know diddly about synthetics for the engine, good old Shell Rotella 10-40 has done pretty good service for me. Now you have started the oil thread so stand by for the experts knowing all and then just some of the plain folk's opinion as to what has brought them good service........Welcome aboard. Good luck...........Dennis

+1 for rotella I dump that in every diesel I own.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

+1 for rotella I dump that in every diesel I own.

Same here, Rotella.

hondajoe

rtv oil

I have been using Syn oil rotella 5w40 t6 good luck so far.Keep it changed at 100 hours should be fine maybe 200 hours also could be fine.Joe.PS seems older users don't like syn oil I have changed my ways seems to knock down oil temp about 10 degrees witch I like.JOE