2008 RTV 900 starts then dies

Prcn

My 2008 RTV 900 is giving me problems.
It started about a month ago.
It will initially crank and then within 10-20 seconds it will slowly die. MAYBE like it is not getting fuel?? Starter and battery are strong. It will turnover fine but not crank. Wait 10-30 minutes, come back and it will start and run all day and then do the same thing again intermittently.

I replaced the fuel filter and put a can of sea foam in.

Drove it around the farm most of the day Saturday and then Sunday morning I cranked it, went 10feet and it died. Now it will not crank at all...nothing. It still turns over strong but no sign of life. Pulled the air filter it looks fine.

Thoughts??

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Fuel pump

You don't need to read the whole thing:

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16912

But it surely sounds to me exactly what my unit did for a year or so before I finally bit the bullet and got an el cheapo electric fuel pump to try and see if it solved the problem..............2 years later and the thing has never hesitated, had to depress the pedal slightly to start, loose poser, nor died........Worked for me.....God bless.....Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It sounds like Dennis 's problem I'd also change the fuel filter as part of your maintenance and make sure fuel hose is good and not sucking air ,clamps are good and tight . A few members have also had dirty tanks. As Aurthuritis said, a stopped up vent can also cause similar problems. I have seen that on mowers . bordercollie

ovrszd

It sounds like Dennis 's problem I'd also change the fuel filter as part of your maintenance and make sure fuel hose is good and not sucking air ,clamps are good and tight . A few members have also had dirty tanks. As Aurthuritis said, a stopped up vent can also cause similar problems. I have seen that on mowers . bordercollie

Were you the member that had problems with the electronic fuel shutoff solenoid? Were the symptoms similar to this?

Lee1935

My 2008 RTV 900 is giving me problems.
It started about a month ago.
It will initially crank and then within 10-20 seconds it will slowly die. MAYBE like it is not getting fuel?? Starter and battery are strong. It will turnover fine but not crank. Wait 10-30 minutes, come back and it will start and run all day and then do the same thing again intermittently.

I replaced the fuel filter and put a can of sea foam in.

Drove it around the farm most of the day Saturday and then Sunday morning I cranked it, went 10feet and it died. Now it will not crank at all...nothing. It still turns over strong but no sign of life. Pulled the air filter it looks fine.

Thoughts??

Many much better products than sea foam, check your local farm store or tractor dealer:wink:

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Many much better products than sea foam, check your local farm store or tractor dealer:wink:

Agree with this.

Diesels are pretty straight forward so I'd start with checking fuel pressure. Generally if it's in spec they run unless there is an electrical gremlin like a bad solenoid, as previously mentioned.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie already mentioned it but the first thing that did come to my mind was air getting into the fuel line. I'd check for cracks, loose connections...

Since mentioned, what do you all use for diesel treatment? I use Sea Foam for my bulk gas tank and Power Service for my diesel. What are y'all using?

ovrszd

Sorry for the distraction, I use Power Service white bottle. If I watch for the sale at the local Farm Supply store I can buy it for $12 per bottle. Bottle treats 250 gallons of fuel. My main reason for usage is Winter protection from gelling.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie already mentioned it but the first thing that did come to my mind was air getting into the fuel line. I'd check for cracks, loose connections...

Since mentioned, what do you all use for diesel treatment? I use Sea Foam for my bulk gas tank and Power Service for my diesel. What are y'all using?

Same here, sea foam for gas, Power Service for diesel.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use Sta-Bil. I think I'll try Power Service this year.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
In my fuel pump situation, I had used everything above over a year or so and still the intermittent problem continued.......tank, fuel line, fuel cleaners, electronics.......as stated above, since the el cheapo fuel pump........I think less than $30; but after spending easily $100 and more for solvents, filters, cleaners, labor....The fuel pump is like the Everready Battery Bunny....Keeps on thumpin.....It is what it is........God bless

aarkie

Disconnect the hose at the filter (either side) and see if you are getting good flow. If you don't you may have a stopped up hose. You can blow it out with air but you will need to drain and clean the tank.

Prcn

Got the new fuel pump in off of amazon and it fired right up

There is an electric connection on the frame that matches the fuel pump but it doesn’t work.
What is the best way to hook into the ignition?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, I used a blank connector on top of the engine that is hot on the wrong terminal of the connector. Took it apart, reversed the terminals and wha lah it matched the connector on the fuel pump. Who knows you might have to run a connector/wiring out of the fuse box or wherever............JUST GLAD YOU GOT IT WORKING.......

Prcn

Did just as he said.
Used the extra wire on top of engine.
Changed the wires around and it works perfect
Thanks!