New Kubota RTV-XG850 Sidekick

ovrszd

I grew up riding belt driven cvt snow machines... they still use them, whats everyones beef with belt drive?

I've had several CVT setups on ATVs and now on a Rhino UTV. They don't like to creep, especially with any kind of load against them. Can pretty much "smoke" a belt on demand. For a workhorse like an RTV I'd be reluctant. But also understand, that's how they are getting their groundspeed.

ItBmine

I've plowed this whole area with my belt driven CVT Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. for the first 8 years of it's life. And I'm still trail riding on the original belt. I've never seen it slip or smoke. Even pulling my trailer full of firewood up and down my hills.
Makes me laugh every time I read that a CVT is no good.

Attachments

• 002 (Large).jpg
    002 (Large).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 66
  • 006 (Large).jpg
    006 (Large).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 011 (Large).jpg
    011 (Large).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 67

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I have to agree on the point that Richard made. If we had over loaded a trailer behind a snomachine, you had to push it to get going or it would burn the belt.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It B Mine...........I was just about ready to thank you for your comments and opinion, muchly needed. Then I looked at the pics.......Sure do look like they are taken from the seat of that tractor shown in the second pic that are actually doing the plowing.......lol.....looks just like my little B 7610.....

ovrszd

And, understand, I am not saying CVT is no good. I'm just saying it has limitations that the operator needs to fully understand and operate accordingly. Failing to do so will result in a smoked belt. And beyond that, the next thing that happens is wear grooves in the sheaves. When that occurs the repair gets a bit expensive.

I had to replace both sheaves on my Yamaha Rhino. 4 years of Grandkids learning how to drive did that.

With a CVT, if you want the vehicle to move jab the gas hard enough to lock up the belt and cause movement. If you want to stop quickly take your foot off the gas and stop. Creeping starts and stops will cause sheaves grooves and shorten belt life.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I took a long drive with the grandkids to our son's and daughter in laws house yesterday. Beautiful day for a drive, we saw 4 deer and lots of beautiful scenery as the fall season is in full bloom here.

I was very disappointed in the RTV 1140 on the hills. I got up to 25mph on downhill and semi level ground but going up long grades, semi steep hills it bogged down to 5mph. So I shift to M. I could get up to 20 in M drive but on the long grades I was down to 9mph. We were left way behind by our son and daughter in law. I sure don't need a speed demon but it seems reasonable to be able to take a hill at 15mph minimum, especially with a light load.

Long way of saying I do see the need for something like this in the Kubota RTV line. I love my RTV for working on my property and running my trails. On those I only go 15mph tops, mostly 10mph or less. But on open road .... the current RTV lineup is lacking.

Attachments

• RTVrideWithChaseAndOlivia.jpg
    RTVrideWithChaseAndOlivia.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 55

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I agree - right tool for the right job. I feel the need for more speed sometimes. But if you work within the capabilities of the machine, should be no problems.

I would love to have both!!!

Last edited:

ItBmine

It B Mine...........I was just about ready to thank you for your comments and opinion, muchly needed. Then I looked at the pics.......Sure do look like they are taken from the seat of that tractor shown in the second pic that are actually doing the plowing.......lol.....looks just like my little B 7610.....

You are correct. For 8 years I relied solely on my 2004.5 Sportsman 500 H.O. to do all my work. But then I finally bought my B2620 and now the Polaris gets to retire to a life of play riding.

Just wanted to illustrate the area I plowed (and now blow) since I need to be able to turn the dump truck and tractor trailer. And think about how many forward/reverse shifts back and forth for 8 plus years doing all this with a 60 inch wide blade. It wasn't an angle and go deal. I had to put my banks in specific spots.

I don't know....maybe Polaris just has a better CVT than everybody else because I have never slipped any of my three. Nor have I ever changed a belt.

Last edited:

ItBmine

I'm sure Kubota could have made a fast hydro too. I run a Komatsu wheel loader that has a hydro trans and it is very quick and has a good road speed. A pure pleasure to run.

But maybe it was a price point thing for them to decide on gas and CVT for the new RTV.

ovrszd

There are some small variations but generally they are all alike.

Glad yours has served you well!!!

ItBmine

I know what you mean though ovrszd. Everyone has their own personally preferences.

That's why we have so many different machines to choose from.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I took a long drive with the grandkids to our son's and daughter in laws house yesterday. Beautiful day for a drive, we saw 4 deer and lots of beautiful scenery as the fall season is in full bloom here.

Long way of saying I do see the need for something like this in the Kubota RTV line. I love my RTV for working on my property and running my trails. On those I only go 15mph tops, mostly 10mph or less. But on open road .... the current RTV lineup is lacking.

Doc, for me, and I KNOW YOU, when hauling that precious cargo, slow, easy, and smooth is just what I need..........God bless those Babies

ItBmine

I haven't seen any detailed specs yet. Are these all Kubota made and who makes the engines?

I know one thing. I love my 2004.5 and 2009 Polaris Sportsmen, but I just bought a brand new Sportsman 570 power steering and am pretty disappointed in the build quality and quality of the plastic body panels.

That's why I have been thinking of buying an RTV1100 cab.

ovrszd

I haven't seen any detailed specs yet. Are these all Kubota made and who makes the engines?

I know one thing. I love my 2004.5 and 2009 Polaris Sportsmen, but I just bought a brand new Sportsman 570 power steering and am pretty disappointed in the build quality and quality of the plastic body panels.

That's why I have been thinking of buying an RTV1100 cab.

I haven't saw any details yet either.

Having never thought about it before, I don't know if Kubota builds a gas powered engine or not? I don't recall ever seeing one.

Sorry about your disappointment in the new Polaris. Over the years they have built some very good ATVs and UTVs. Their entrance into the market expanded it wide open. Forced other manufacturers to step up their game if they wanted to stay competitive. Left Honda in the dust. Slowly Honda is catching up now. I hear good things about their Pioneer.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Having never thought about it before, I don't know if Kubota builds a gas powered engine or not? I don't recall ever seeing one.
I don't think they do. I'm pretty sure they use Kawasaki engines in their ZTR's and mowers (that aren't diesel). I don't recall what they use in their gas generators.