Need help with new tires R-4 vs. turf

Like many others on here I am looking for some help in deciding what tires to go with on a new tractor. Next week I will be taking delivery of a new Kubota BX2360 with a FEL and MMM. The dealer suggest I go with turf tires do to mostly using the tractor for mowing. My question is should I upgrade to R-4 industrial tires to help in the snow (I plan on getting a snow plow in the future). I will be plowing a paved driveway and a pretty long path to the wood pile and barn that goes up a good slope. I'm also worried that turf tires will not give me the traction I need when using the FEL. We have mostly sandy soil here. And once in awhile I will be heading into the woods. Will the R-4's destroy the grass or will they work ok after the yard dries up? Will the turfs work better in the snow than R-4's using the fwd?

Any help here would be great, I think I can change the order as far as tires go up until Monday.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use my tractor much like what you've described. I upgraded to R4's and they have worked fine. I don't use it for mowing anymore as we added a ZTR to our stable but I mowed with my Kubota Grand L 3010 pulling a RFM (Rear Finish Mower) and it worked fine. When wet the R4's will leave a mark. In tight spots (lots of maneuvering) it can leave marks even when it's dry. But once I got used to it I was able to mow with minimal damage to my yard.

I also have woods / trails and areas i brush hog, plus have to deal with multiflora thorns and the tougher R4 tires run through that stuff with no issues.

They work well for FEL work too. Tractoring in the snow is good but not great. Much better than my smaller tractor with turf tires though.
When using your tractor for multi use I think R4's are the best option.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I don't have any experience with the R4's, I have turfs. They have performed very well for what I've done with the tractor. I have a gravel driveway, but I use it on my neighbors concrete drive plowing snow. I've never wished I had anything else MOST of the time.

Av8r3400

(Ex-BX2230 owner, here)

Why not get both? The Turfs for yard work and change to the R-4's for dirt work. The 2nd set is not that expensive (couple of hundred). Make sure to foam-fill the front R-4's for FEL work. They puncture very easily.

For what it's worth, the snow blower is a much better option than a blade, on a BX for snow removal. It is worth the money they want for it. It's an extremely high quality unit.

trrjohn

I have changed most of the tractor rear tires to Turf Trax. See the picture for the tread design. Works great for plowing / blowing snow, in the garden, for dirt work and on the lawn.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
John

Attachments

• turftraxtires.jpg
    turftraxtires.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,480

PBinWA

R4's suck in the snow. I would prefer to have turf tires with some chains. Chains don't work well with R4's either as they tend to fall between the lugs.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
R4's suck in the snow. I would prefer to have turf tires with some chains. Chains don't work well with R4's either as they tend to fall between the lugs.

Thanks for the help guys....think maybe I will stick with the turfs for now.

I'm with PB. I had a B2910 with R4's. They filled with snow and if I added chains they didn't do much good either. When I traded for the L3400 I got turf tires. I have chains but I rarely use them. When I do use the chains they ride on top of the tire tread and do a great job.

Jim

shinnlinger

Yep,

Turfs will do you. I am a fan of R-1 ag jobs myself, but go figure, I have a farm. R-4's are great if they only see dry concrete and tar (Ie construction sites) In my opinion, R-4's are overated for non construction use...I have buried a few r-4 jobs where they r-1's walk right through.

In my opinion, Turfs are underated.

Enjoy your machine!!!