Sheared some bolts

olcowhand

Not yet. I didn't make it to the dealership until Friday. They had to order the part in - not really a surprise as that probably isn't something that needs replaced all that often. I'll have the in-laws pick it up tomorrow and I should be able to get it Wednesday.

So what part/parts did you order? Did you check on flipping the gears in the housing?

jwstewar

Staff member
Well, F-I-L went to pick the part up yesterday. It is on back-order through New Holland.:pat: So I went out to the garage looking for the tab that had broken off as the old bracket was still in the car from where I went to order the new one. I can't find the tab that broke off.:pat::eek::hide: I just did a quick look around so I guess I'll have to try looking harder tonight.

jwstewar

Staff member
Good news. The M-I-L just called. The dealership dropped the part off at their house today. They are coming to Chillicothe Wedneday so they will bring it to me then. At least the part is in. That is a major step.

jwstewar

Staff member
SHE'S ALIVE!!!! SHE'S ALIVE!!!!:yum:

Everything went back together pretty good. In order to use the 1 1/2" bolt in the broken corner, I had to use 2 lock washers. Other than that it went back together OK. The new bracket worked fine. I even managed to get the deck installed on the tractor and mowed a couple of swipes and nothing came out at me. I forgot to recheck the bolts after testing, but I will before I mow this weekend. I was concentrating on getting the loader off at that point.

Attachments

• 101_3541.jpg
    101_3541.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 101_3542.jpg
    101_3542.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 70

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Glad You got it goin Jim , :tiphat: . I would have spread some Mud on the new shiny bracket though , Where most Guys I know would have cleaned & repainted the whole deck to match the bracket :hide: . Bob

jwstewar

Staff member
LOL at Cowboy. I figure by the time I mow with it in the next couple of days it'll look like the rest of the deck. Then hopefully I can get everything washed for winter. I need to do some painting of it this year. Now as to if that happens or not, that is another story.:hide:

jwstewar

Staff member
Well, I'm back to working on this. I noticed this when I took it apart to put the new belt and tensioner spring on it. Believe it or not, the corner with the broken ear is still holding fine, but the threads stripped out on the back whole on the same side. Wasn't much holding that side of the gear box again. I'm working on taking olcowhand's suggestion and trying to flip the gear box over. I tried to take it apart last night. NH (or more approriately Superior Gearbox) used 9 bolts to hold the gearbox together. You have to use a hex bit driver on them. I could only get 7 of them broke loose. I couldn't get the 2 on the bottom out. I'm going to get ready to call a friend at a machine shop and see if they have any ideas. Then I'll probably go by a NH dealer a pick up a couple of new grease seals before I put it back together.

BTW, I did try rethreading the hole, but it wasn't do too well and then the area starting getting too thin and I'm afraid it will also break like the front one did.

jwstewar

Staff member
Talked to my buddy a little while ago. He has an idea how to get the 2 stubborn bolts out. He is going to stop by tonight and give his thoughts a try.

jwstewar

Staff member
No luck last night on getting the last 2 bolts out. After the torrential rains went through we wadded to the barn and worked on it for probably another hour or so. Finally we gave up and he took it to work with him today. Then we just stood around and talked and watched the fantastic lightening display.

jwstewar

Staff member
He took it to work yesterday and had the machinist work on it. He tried for awhile to remove the bolts using "normal" methods. When that failed, he drilled down through the center of the bolts and backed them out that way. Brad then brought the gear box and some new bolts home to me last night and we proceeded to finish taking it apart. Once it was apart we cleaned everything up good. Checked the bearings and cups. They were all nice and smooth yet. Though we could see a little bit of wear on the shaft where the PTO shafts connects. We then replaced the oil seals and proceeded to put the gears back in the now inverted housing. Then using the Copper RTV gasket maker, we put it back together. Then took it to the deck and using new hardware put the new belt and tensioner spring on and the reassembled gear box. Once all of that was done, we filled it with oil. And that was as far as we made it as that was 10:00.

One thing that is kind of bugging me. Take a look at the attached picture. I see how all of the other bearings are lubed. But what lubricates the top set of bearings? The gear box is only filled halfway up. So how do they get lubed?:confused2: I circled the set I'm talking about.

Attachments

• 914A Gearbox 2.jpg
    914A Gearbox 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 29

jwstewar

Staff member
Got it all back together on Friday. Greased the deck, tractor, and FEL. Put the deck on the tractor and all was good. I mowed the front yard, but that is about as much as I could get done as everything was just way too wet. With rain again Saturday & Sunday and called for through Thursday, not sure when I'll be able to mow again.