New Holland TZ24DA advise needed

rsmith4604

Thank you for allowing me in the forum. I just joined. I just moved out to my dream place in the country after retiring. First thing I bought was a used New Holland Compact Tractor TZ24DA. Mainly I was worried about clearing my 450 ft. driveway of the heavy snow that common out here in the hills of western New York State. We got 92 inches in 3 days in November 2014. My question is: I'm thinking of buying a dump trailer and it has a hydraulic dump cylinder on it that is to be hooked up to a $500, optional, pump or the tractor hydraulics. The hydraulics that I wouldn't be using is at the 3-point hitch. So I'm wondering how to use those lines to power the trailer dump.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

A couple questions for reference on that tractor. Is it by chance around a 2006 model, with snowblower, white roof, SMV sign on left rear side of ROPS with possibly a large hook above it for hanging chains? Rearward facing light on right side of ROPS? Possibly stickers on both rear fenders with the name Larry R & Sons as the seller? Bought at Tri-County?

Do you have pics of the rear hydraulic hookups on the back of the tractor?

rsmith4604

IMG_1262.jpgbczoom, I'm picking my jaw off the floor.....How do you know all that about my tractor? The only thing you got wrong is that there is no hook for hanging chains. This is the only picture I currently have on file and I'm not going into the barn today, if I don't have to. But, I will, if you can't see enough. Who are you? You've got to work at Tri-County. Thanks:confused2:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not enough in that pic to see the hydraulic connects at the rear of the tractor.

bczoom, I'm picking my jaw off the floor.....How do you know all that about my tractor? The only thing you got wrong is that there is no hook for hanging chains. This is the only picture I currently have on file and I'm not going into the barn today, if I don't have to. But, I will, if you can't see enough. Who are you? You've got to work at Tri-County. Thanks:confused2:
I figured the hook would be gone. Dealers commonly remove anything that's not OEM from the ROPS.

I do not work at Tri-county. I'm a couple hundred miles away (in Pennsylvania).

The reason I know about your tractor... You bought my Dad's tractor. Small world. I saw the tractor model you listed and where you live and just took a stab that it's a good chance because there isn't a NH dealer in the area.

He traded that one in mainly because he wanted a cab for when he runs the snow blower. At over 75 years old, I don't blame him. He got pretty much the same setup but the Kioti with the cab.

I just called him about the tractor.
He doesn't really recall the rear hydraulic connects but never had a need to use them.
As he recalls about those rear connects (in general, not specific to that tractor), they run off the same control arm that you use for raising and lowering the 3-point hitch. It will lift but for going down, it floats (there is no down pressure). You may have to change the float knob that's under the seat (between your legs) to switch the flow from the 3PH to those hydraulic connects.
He also said that NH sold that tractor setup/build to Kioti so if you don't have a manual, the Kioti setup should be the same so the guys down at Tri-County should be able to help.
For your tractor, he said it has a lot of power. Maybe a bit too much for that size tractor. Just keep an eye on things since the engine may not even bog down before the wheels break traction.

rsmith4604

Thanks for all your help. I'll have to go out and look at the tractor. This idea I have about the trailer and all, just came up this morning. I asked them who owned the tractor, when I was buying it. All that I got out of them was that it was an older gentleman who had a stroke and lived on Carpenter Rd., which is West of me. I'm on Hunters Creek, so, that tractor didn't go far from your dad. I wish it was bigger and I've almost tipped it over a couple of times. But, I got what I could afford. I having fun with it. My folks and my girlfriend are all from PA. I was just in Pittsburgh a week ago. Tell your dad thanks and to come and visit me sometime. I'm at 6860 H/C Rd..

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I asked them who owned the tractor, when I was buying it. All that I got out of them was that it was an older gentleman who had a stroke and lived on Carpenter Rd.
Well, they were very truthful. He's 76, had a stroke and does live on Carpenter. As the crow flies, you're only a little over a mile away from him. If Evil Knievel set up a ramp on Carpenter and jumped eastward from Vermont Hill rd, he'd land at your place.

Back in the '80s, I had a house on Vermont Hill pretty close to where H/C and Vermont Hill meet at the south end.

If you were down in Pittsburgh, you pretty much drove past my place. I'm about 40 miles N of the city, and get off I-79 at the Portersville exit.

Tell us more about the trailer (size and such). Most dump trailers are pretty heavy, even empty. Hunters Creek isn't an area of generally flat land. I'm just thinking of the weight and the potential of it pushing the trailer when doing down hill. What are you going to use it for?

Under what circumstances did you almost tip? Using the loader and lifted the back end or going sideways across a hill or ???

rsmith4604

Yep....I love it out here. Been here for 2 1/2 yrs. now. What I'm experiencing is creek erosion and I want to have about 4 dump truck loads of 12 to 16 inch Limestone brought in here and I want a method of getting it down to the creek. I just want something more than that 4 ft. bucket and, yes, there is a down hill section to get to the creek. Also, there's a lot of firewood down there. The trailer is brand new from 2013 inventory and it weighs 998 lbs.. They want $1800 for it. I would use extreme caution not to overload it.
I grew up in Hamburg and raised a family there also.
This is the website info on trailer...
http://www.gwfab.com/trailers.php?cat=3&pid=517

The ways I almost tipped was with a load in or chained to the bucket and being on even the slightest slope or soft ground. The wheel base is too narrow on that tractor. I would just quickly lower the bucket to the ground. I have no experience with a front loader. I've used many other pieces of equipment (bull dozers, JLG's cherry pickers, portable cranes, etc.). I was a machine repairman at the Ford plant for 37 yrs.. And, by the way, Evil Knievel's dead.