Planning bed rails for X1100C

Nevadablue

I started working on a plan for bed rails for the new rig. Looking over the threads here gave me ideas so I started measuring for the metal cutting. I used cardboard and duct tape... what else?
It seems there is more room than I thought. I won't have to bend any tubing to clear the window grill.

image.jpg1_3.jpg

image.jpg2_2.jpg

image.jpg3_2.jpg

image.jpg4_2.jpg

There should be plenty of clearance. I plan to use square tubing, but I haven't picked it up yet. I think there should be a cross piece between the two sides, at the top of the short riser behind the grill. A rubber flap should stop anything from falling between the grill and rack. A removable taller rack can hold ladders and things like that.

I was disappointed to notice (finally!) that there is NO bed liner. The quote showed factory installed liner... grrr... Now to get back to the dealer.

ovrszd

Nice mockup. I use a LOT of cardboard in that manner. Design depends on intended use. I am all about durability. Mine is welded together and added a great amount of strength to the bed. I don't worry about bending the bedsides now.

Anxious to see your progress!!! :)

Nevadablue

So, on a nice morning, before the next storm arrived... I went digging in my junk yard. I found two frames from the folding shelter things. The square ones that you set up on a camping trip or over a grave... sigh... anyway...
The legs are 1" square tubing. NOT heavy wall, but fine for what I need. My wife and I use the RTV as a 'little pickup' and need some bed rails that will carry a few tools and maybe hold a bunch of leaves or firewood or similar.
I didn't get any pics yet, but the legs telescope, using really neat spring loaded pins to hold them in place. I think I can make my bed rails out of this material, and have any number of extensions and additions I want. Ladder rack, here I come! I'll need to polish my TIG skills for the assembly I think. Welded sections that snap together with the hardware from the frames.

ovrszd

Anxious to see your progress. Some of my best ideas have came from the scrap iron pile. I never throw away diminsional steel. :)

Nevadablue

I ventured into the Arctic wind to get a few pics so I can start sketching this contraption. The wind blew all night, not much snow, but WIND was crazy. you can see some snow and bare spots. winter...

Pics of the parts. I will have plenty to choose from. Now to make a good design.

image.jpg1_4.jpg

image.jpg4_3.jpg

image.jpg2_3.jpg

image.jpg6_1.jpg

image.jpg5_3.jpg

image.jpg3_3.jpg

image.jpg7_1.jpg

You can see that I have plenty of material to choose from. I do want to use the pull-pin parts for sure. The rest is still up in the air. Sketching to ensue... :winterrules:

ovrszd

Let your imagination run.

Where in Nevada are you to be so far into Winter already??

When I think of Nevada I think of Las Vegas... :)

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
you remind me of me.lol there is a dump at the end of the road I live on and I go get stuff out of it all the time. my wife tells me I collect junk but to me all the pieces of metal and stuff I get ends up on a project sooner or later.when I go to sell scrap iron it's in pieces less than 3"x3" I use it up til it's too small for anything.i have two fab tables 5'x12' and under both of them is my diggers pile all the cut off pieces get thrown under the tables til I need something then I get on my hands and knees and start digging. can't wait to see what you come up with.

Nevadablue

LOL, I NEVER think of Las Vegas. I'm just about as far as you can get from Vegas and still be in Nevada. North central, just south of the point where Oregon and Idaho touch the Nevada border. We are at 5700 feet in the mouth of a canyon. Just below some high cliffs. The storms roll off the mountains. Fun to watch from inside.
Thanks Peanut, that means a lot to me. Now I'll have to work even harder on this set of rails. Again, they won't be heavy duty, but they will be versatile.

cchaffee

I like the fact that you used CAD in your design work. Or as we call it cardboard aided design. Very nice idea.

Curt

ovrszd

LOL, I NEVER think of Las Vegas. I'm just about as far as you can get from Vegas and still be in Nevada. North central, just south of the point where Oregon and Idaho touch the Nevada border. We are at 5700 feet in the mouth of a canyon. Just below some high cliffs. The storms roll off the mountains. Fun to watch from inside.
Thanks Peanut, that means a lot to me. Now I'll have to work even harder on this set of rails. Again, they won't be heavy duty, but they will be versatile.

I've never been anywhere near that area. Gotta put that on my bucket list. We "Jeep" in the Colorado Rockies every year. Need to add a week to the trip and go further West.

Maybe we need to start a thread of pictures from each other's areas?? Would add perspective to each member's lives.