RTV X900 Starting Problem Help

bscov

I have a 2015 x900 that has a intermittent starting problem, the problem is when the key is turned to start all it does is click, after several tries it will finally fire then will be fine for a while then will do it again, checked all connections, replaced starter, replaced start relay, I am at a loss any help would be great

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Have you checked the starter solenoid ? There are several threads on here about the older models and problems with the starter solenoid. Usually it would just click once when turning the key . (when mine gave trouble) . In a properly functioning one , you would hear a "tink" type noise a few seconds after cutting the engine off. .
Also check the key switch. I have that be a problem on my tractor. I put a shote os silicone spray lube into the key switch with a stray sprayer and it started working fine. bordercollie
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14088&highlight=solenoid

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
In that thread link I listed, there are a couple of pictures of it. It's a 12 v mechanical "plunger arm" on my 2011 model and my 2005 that I took the picture on. Check out the picture at that link.. dated 09-09-2011, 11:27 PM There is description of symptoms and a picture I took years ago. Not sure though if that is the problem for you. Also check your ground and battery connections. good luck , bordercollie

ovrszd

Yes the starter solenoid is on the starter. A clicking sound indicates power to the solenoid and confirms the ignition switch is properly sending voltage to the solenoid when the key is in the start position. Failure to engage the starter would indicate solenoid failure.

Repeated activation of the start sequence with the key will usually overcome the problem. But solenoid replacement is coming. Might as well do it now rather than have the machine stalled in an unhandy location.

Messick's is a great source for online parts. If you are parts savvy you can do it all online. If not, a phone call would be best. If you have strong local dealer support I would give them the business.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm talking about the stop solenoid and mis called it, which acts like I mentioned when trying to start. I would be sure to check the key switch- My tractor acted such and.. I also bought a starter and put it on but to no avail, battery check good, then I lubed the heck out of the innards of the key slot with the spray grease and a shot of wd 40 and it cranked like a champ and still does. The wd won't last so I concentrated on the spray grease. bordercollie

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Perhaps the neutral safety switch is not fully activated? Have you tried moving the shift lever when it does the click only symptom?

ovrszd

A voltage check at the solenoid would verify the key switch is doing it's job.

Sure sounds like starter solenoid but with a new starter and solenoid you'd not think that's possible.

Just as a matter of elimination have you checked the battery cable connections? That problem usually gets worse very quickly as in with a few starts.

So this problem hasn't changed at all after everything you've replaced and/or cleaned? So that indicates that none of those things had anything to do with the problem?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
A voltage check at the solenoid would verify the key switch is doing it's job.

Sure sounds like starter solenoid but with a new starter and solenoid you'd not think that's possible.

Just as a matter of elimination have you checked the battery cable connections? That problem usually gets worse very quickly as in with a few starts.

So this problem hasn't changed at all after everything you've replaced and/or cleaned? So that indicates that none of those things had anything to do with the problem?

I was thinking cables and connections. Yours seems pretty new yet but I have had similar problems with a bad ground cable on tractor battery, it looked ok but it was completely green and corroded under the sheeting. Also the clicking could be other relays and not the solenoid. Always with electrical problems I'm on the look out for those furry little :Mickey: ! They will chew a wire in a second!

bscov

Checked all connections again everything is good, I have 12v at the solenoid when key is turned also have 12v from the cable from starter to its ground, battery is good as is battery connections, stop solenoid is working properly, I don’t know like I said it does not happen all the time but is happening more than I am comfortable with

ovrszd

Yeah, that would bug me. I'd always be expecting it to fail.

Was the starter and solenoid replaced in an attempt to fix this problem?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Perhaps the neutral safety switch is not fully activated? Have you tried moving the shift lever when it does the click only symptom?

Yes i have tried moving the shifter and it does not help

I think there is an interlock on the parking brake too. Next time it happens try that. I don't have a hydraulic dump bed but in my foggy brain it seems that has an interlock too. Might be mechanical rather than electrical though.

I've had several Kubota tractors and mowers and an rtv900 over the years and have had more safety switch problems than anything else.

Fitch

The only time I've ever had trouble starting my 2004 RTV 900W was when the battery was going bad. I'd suggest testing it.

My 2004 ZD21, on the other hand, had a starter solenoid that was getting cooked by the exhaust manifold. I bought a heat shield that comes on the newer incarnation of that mower, drilled some holes to install it, and we've had zero starting problems since.

Fitch

ovrszd

Adding to Fitch's comment concerning the battery. A simple voltage test won't identify a defective battery. Has to be a load test to truly know.

Kanook

Probably nothing to do with it but....I have had issues in the past on a Kubota tractor and a JD mower that was caused by poorly conducting safety switches that resulted in only 7 or 8 volts getting to the starter relay and being insufficient to 'pick' the relay sufficiently to allow 12vdc to the starter motor. JD even came out with and engineering change that supplied a low voltage relay that was added to the starting circuit because the problem was so common.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As mentioned, I too would get the battery load tested.

Checked all connections again everything is good, I have 12v at the solenoid when key is turned also have 12v from the cable from starter to its ground, battery is good as is battery connections, stop solenoid is working properly, I don’t know like I said it does not happen all the time but is happening more than I am comfortable with

For the battery cables, you'll get 12v but an interior corroded cable can't carry the amps needed. I'd suggest running a good jumper cable from the battery to starter and see what happens. I've seen the issue you're having more than a few times on my tractor as well as the neighbors. You turn the key on, all the lights come on but when you go to start it... nothing. I temporarily replace the battery cables with jumper cables to do a test and sure enough, it fires right up.