RTV Side Mirrors are important

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Especially to me.

I'm used to them on the RTV 900. Very handy. I bought a center rear view mirror for the RTV 1140 and it works okay, especially for watching passengers and any load in the bed.

But for backing in tight spots side mirrors help me out most. I can see exactly where my rear corner is. Anyway I'm used to that on the 900, and did not have them on the 1140. Last weekend I moved the 1140 to my main garage and was backing it out ...and banged into my Toyota 4Runner. Arrggg

A $450 repair to fix my stew-pid careless wreck into my own vehicle. I was watching the front end making sure I missed the flower bed when I hear the crunch. Crap.

I feel lucky to be getting if fixed for $450. Some shops would have charged 800+.

Here is a pic of the damage.

Attachments

• 4RunnerDent.jpg
    4RunnerDent.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 146

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So I shopped around for side mount mirrors. The ones on the 900 work but are light duty and do not hold in position well.

I settled on ones on Amazon made by Kolpin. They are 4.125 x 7.75. A little bigger than the ones on the 900. The pictures of them appeared to be heavier duty than my current ones and they cost about the same price, $40. They fit perfectly over the RTV's 2" bars, but they have fittings for a 1.75" bar included also.

Link to mirrors:
https://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-UTV-S...eywords=Kolpin+UTV+Side+Mirror+-+Pair+-+98315

Here are some pics of the box they came in, and them installed on the 1140. I'm happy. And I've backed out of the garage twice now without hitting anything. Woo Hoo. LOL

Attachments

• RTVSideMirror.jpg
    RTVSideMirror.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 145
  • RTVSideMirror2.jpg
    RTVSideMirror2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 144

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Especially to me.

A $450 repair to fix my stew-pid careless wreck into my own vehicle. I was watching the front end making sure I missed the flower bed when I hear the crunch. Crap.

I feel lucky to be getting if fixed for $450. Some shops would have charged 800+.
That sucks Doc. I'm surprised you could get it fixed for $450. I know with my truck the rear view mirror is rarely used. I have always used my side mirrors for everything. I just grew up using them

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry about the damage........mine was with the tailgate into the truck......$1200 later..........I do like those mirrors....they fold back nice when you are in the trees??? Both ways, forward and back? Is that $40 each or a pair? NICE Work

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice Collie. I did a search on amazon for UTV side mirrors and did not even see those. They look very similar to what I got. :thumb: :tiphat:

ovrszd

It happens doc your brave enough to post it, but we've all done it.

My Super Duty has a caved in bedside from my bumper hitch trailer. When you walk around the hitched trailer to get in the truck, then throw it in reverse and cramp the wheels to turn around like you aren't hitched to a trailer. How can memory be that short......... :)

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Love the jackknife that's a classic! I got the call on a swarm of bees this spring, ran out to my truck and backed into a 4' diameter popular tree with the corner of my bumper, bent it just into the fender ;-)

ovrszd

I didn't have these problems til I turned 60. Then noticed a slowly progressing change in attentiveness. The alternative sucks though so not complaining. :)

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So Doc........Do the mirrors bend back and forth. LIKE when you are backing up will they bend forward and then when the opposite happens will they fold inward??????????

How good are they for hanging your sound deadening ear muffs on??

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The mirrors will fold inward or outward, no prob. I suppose they could hold ear muffs with no problem.

Amazon also had items often bought with the mirrors. One of them were a pair of hand holds that could come in handy on the RTV. But they only went up to 1.75" bars.
Has anyone seen these for the RTV?

Attachments

• HandHoldsForUTV.jpg
    HandHoldsForUTV.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 100

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doc.........I ask about the ear muffs as we use a lot of machinery that is NOISEY. Like of course chain saws and a 24" wood shredder/chipper......Anyway, right now the hand hold on the right front entry is the only place handy to hang ear muffs for a bit, if they fit through the loop. So, always looking for an extra function with accessories.............Definitely on my Amazon Christmas list......thanks again......God bless...........Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dennis, you won't be sorry. Rear view mirrors save a lot of neck pain too. Like when you turn too quick and that hot pop runs through your neck.. no more of that with good mirrors. :) collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's really good thinking Judy.........THANKS......Part of my 160% VA disability rating is a neck that is pretty well frozen in place. It's not just a POP but for sure an ice pick being swiveled in place and then rocked back and forth. It's even worse when there is a load in back that covers up the filthy plexi-glass window in the rear that I cant see out of anyway. Then I have to lean out the side and try to twist around to see to the rear while I control the RTV. Really fun when I have a trailer type device and backing up.........That really is a perfect gift from the Grand Girlies............God bless.......