Advice please help

td4man

Having never owned or operated a tractor before but now finding myself in need of or hiring someone seversl times a year, I have found a 2001 Mahindra C4005DI with FEL and 350 hours , just went and tested and it runs better than it looks and it looks good.There are no attachments and I know I will need shredder-box blade-grader of some type and maybe a disc/plow of some type to make food plots. Is this a good buy or should I wait to find a tractor deal with needed attachments, your help and advice will be gratefully accepted,thanks in advance.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

A tractor/loader combo is the "meat" of getting a tractor. Implements can be added any time through a variety of sources (e.g. Tractor Supply, Craigslist...). Implements are also a personal preference on what you need so to find a tractor setup with exactly what you need can drag the process out longer then you would like. If the tractor is a decent deal, I'd get that then buy implements when you need them.

Another possible option for implements is to check with others in your area. If you have a blade and they have some disks, see if you can swap for a period.

td4man

Thanks

The price he is asking is $7800 for the 2001 Mahindra C4005DI it's a 2wd and 40 hp with a real nice FEL, I think it's a decent deal after spending weeks on the internet searching Craigslist and several sites like Tractornet, one of my neighbors whose owned several tractors has advised that he would never buy a Mahindra and suggest that I only look at Kubota-JD-Ford New Holland. This neighbor is the 2nd person I've heard say not to buy Mahindra because of parts available and being hard to do self repairs. I went today and operated this tractor drove around his property for about 15 minutes, no smoke, no leaks and every thing gauges and lights included works it even has a spring loaded seat that is very comfy. If anybody has a reason not to buy a used Mahindra please let me know as of this time I'm fairly impressed with what I experienced but again I know nothing about Tractors yet,hope to learn a lot from folks on this and other sites,,.. Thanks

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi td, welcome to our internet tractor forum.
I don't see a price in your post so it is hard to tell if it is a good deal. I started out with a 2wd tractor and now have a 4wd. 4wd has lots of advantages, mainly keeps you from getting stuck.
Like BC said you can add your impliments as you have the need for them. You will not find a good used tractor with all the right implements you want. That would be highly unlikely. Finding a fairly new used tractor at a good price is itself a challenge. Sounds like you found a good possibility, but before buying I would suggest you visit a few tractor dealers, in particular a Mahindra and check out how much a new one is. Very often 0% financing on a new tractor can equate to a lessor payment for you the buyer. Plus the more seats you sit in the more you will be sure of what fits you best. Very important to know that you have a dealer close by who can take care of whatever issues you have with your tractor. Minor issues turn major if there is no dealer around to help. Don't underestimate dealer importance.
Good luck and have fun.

I would highly recommend a FEL with whatever tractor you buy. Like BC said, that is the 'meat' of any tractor purchase. you won't know how you ever got by without the loader.

edit to add:
You posted the price info while I was typing this up. That price for a 2wd sounds fair, but I would check the price of a new one in 2wd and also 4wd. Depending on your terrain 4wd might be a must. I have hilly terrain and will never go back to 2wd. I can do so much more, mucho easier with 4wd. Resale value is also much better with 4wd in my area.

td4man

Thanks

I would love to buy new but that doesn't fit my budget so we do a cash deal, I would rather have a 4wd as I've read that a 4wd will do most of the work a 2wd with more hp can do,I'll keep looking but must be honest I've already missed several good deals by continuing to look, I will put this man with the Mahindra off for another few days maybe a week in hopes if I don''t find a better deal that he will still have it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would love to buy new but that doesn't fit my budget so we do a cash deal, I would rather have a 4wd as I've read that a 4wd will do most of the work a 2wd with more hp can do,I'll keep looking but must be honest I've already missed several good deals by continuing to look, I will put this man with the Mahindra off for another few days maybe a week in hopes if I don''t find a better deal that he will still have it.

The bolded part is exactly right. Sit in some seats and drive a few. In this economy the deals are out there. Good luck.

elkhound

Site Supporter
I agree whole heartedly about checking out different dealerships. That way you can get a feel for who will treat you right even if you buy used from someone else, like family. Come September it will be 2 years since i bought a 2001 Kubota L3000DT from a fella who is married to one of my first cousins. The local Kubota/NH dealership could not have treated me any better and more fairly when i've asked questions or sought advise than if i had bought from them.

Dealerships also have used equipment.

urednecku

If it has a FEL I feel the 4wd is a necessity. Weight in the bucket takes weight off the rear tires. No weight on the rear tires means NO control of the tractor.

(Just my 2 cents worth, and something else to think about.)

td4man

Okay thanks for all comments ,I've waited and waited looking for a better deal and today I found a 02 JD 790 4wd w/R4 tires FEL and 5ft shredder 9 forward gear 550 hrs $10k
also a 01 Mahindra 2810 4wd w/r4 almost new tires FEL 5ft shredder 12 gear trans with shuddle shift and indepent pto 1020 hrs $7500
Please give some advice as both look great the JD has better resale I'm sure but I don't plan to sell the 2k difference is a big difference for me having never owned or operated a tractor before

urednecku

What kind of dealers are in your area? How are they with 'customer service?' I hope you never need a dealer for repairs or parts. But waiting until you are in a bind, in the middle of a job with limited time before a rain, etc. to find out your parts are 6 weeks away, can eat that $2500 up real quick.
I think 'dealer support' should be one of the first considerations.

That said, if they are pretty equal dealer support and machines, operate them both, then flip a coin for which one to buy. The instant the coin leaves your thumb, you'll have your answer.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great points red. Dealer support cannot be underestimated. Neither can the ergonomics of each tractor. Sit in each seat and operate for a spell. See which fits you best. And again, like red said, if both are equal in all other areas, flip a coin or go for the cheaper one and save a few bucks. But at this point be sure all is equal before you make a decision primarily on price. You plan to keep it for a long while, you want one you know you will be happy with 10 years from now.
Good luck and keep us posted please.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Okay thanks for all comments ,I've waited and waited looking for a better deal and today I found a 02 JD 790 4wd w/R4 tires FEL and 5ft shredder 9 forward gear 550 hrs $10k
also a 01 Mahindra 2810 4wd w/r4 almost new tires FEL 5ft shredder 12 gear trans with shuddle shift and indepent pto 1020 hrs $7500
Please give some advice as both look great the JD has better resale I'm sure but I don't plan to sell the 2k difference is a big difference for me having never owned or operated a tractor before

Do you like the R4 tires? Those rims are only for R4 tires from what I understand but I could be wrong. Best wishes on your decision. bordercollie

td4man

Thanks urednecku,Doc,and bordercollie, it may be a couple weeks before I can get away from work and honey do's to drive both more than I have at this time I like the price of the 2810 but the JD has half the hours and has been better taken care of. However the JD doesn't have the suffle shift and has a double clutch type pto while the 2810 has the independant pto. I am very gratful for your words of advice and encouragement, rest assured I'll be checking Craigs List and all other avenues in search of even a better deal. I will be sure to share any questions that arise here on the forum and when a decision is made I will post photos of my new to me first tractor.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
TD4 - That JD790 is for all effective purposes a re-badged Yanmar. That said, it's still a bulletproof tractor. It's a hard worker and won't (shouldn't) let you down. I bought its little brother, the 770, 16 years ago. It's never been in the shop.