Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Please post here if you notice a sale on the batteries. And I'll do the same if I see them on sale. For now I'll be running with just one battery but know I will want a 2nd one before to long.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/deal-zon...pJobID=1502529003&spReportId=MTUwMjUyOTAwMwS2

there are some free battery deals if you buy a tool or qualifying kit. just have to watch the sales. i probably have about 1000 dollars worth of free battery . but i was going to buy a tool anyway.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I switched to electric chain saws 20 years ago because I got tired of messed up carburetors due to ethanol gasoline and the noise.

Electric saws are better because:
1- they are quiet so you can hear warnings from coworkers
2-They don't vibrate you hand to the point of numbness (and ask your doctor about why that is long-term seriously bad for you
3-they always start with the pull of a trigger-finger

The difference I have is I use 110-volt saws powered thru 100-fot extension cords from a small lightweight portable generator. That proved an excellent excuse to also have a small genny in addition to the large one back at the house. Long extension cords are always handy. The 110-volt saws don't get weak when a battery runs down. They don't need recharging. They don't cost an arm and a leg or use proprietary batteries (which are another pizzzzer.)

Finally, my favorite saw is a German one … WORX... sold at Loews for $99... so I bought TWO (thinking at that price if it quits I'll just throw it away)…. but here I am 8 years and several dozen trees later still using the first one on only it's second chain (a common 16" Oregon chain.)

Just offerin' a different way to get the tree down. (and the little lightweight generator accompanies us on our trips in the Airstream so it does extra duty keeping the wife happy.)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes i thought of that avenue also. but since i needed a bandsaw to cut corner posts with i already had a battery.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
since we are talking about saws. look up "The Perfect Tree Saw" on google and watch the videos. i have one mounted to my skid steer and it rocks!!!! it would attach to my front loader on the MX 5100 also but i haven't tried it on the tractor. watch the vids and let me know what you think???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_3-WT8mGLY

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
no i bought one from the company in the vids. each tooth is individually welded in place and hardfaced. it is made of very heavy thick metal and has taken all i can throw at.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Still finding flood damage

A lot of land was washed into the gov't made canal (50 years ago) in April during those severe flash floods and tornadic winds . Many trees were also washed away. worked on a section of fence this afternoon where the trees had pulled more fence down as they fell. and was able to get the roxor there in 4L . Much water still in the pastures! Dixie had her seatbelt on too.

Attachments

• KIMG0029.jpg
    KIMG0029.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 48

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's a picture of the canal but the fallen trees are obscuring the water. Here are a few more.. The electric wire is hanging down in there. I've found more damage than I wanted to.. That T post visiable is actually swinging in the wind by the top wire. Going back over there now and trying to finish up.

Attachments

• KIMG0056.jpg
    KIMG0056.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 40
  • KIMG0057.jpg
    KIMG0057.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 39
  • KIMG0058.jpg
    KIMG0058.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 39

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Welll….. that was a mistake... I didn't mean to post that emoticon here in this thread. Not certain... but I think I was attempting to discover the source for the emoticon and somehow hitting the "back button" posted it and I didn't notice.

Sorry.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
collie
there is a style or unconventional way of building fences in those kind of places where you use a few more wires of High Tensile smooth or barbed and get it very very tight. then only put a post in about every 100 feet or more and then put droppers in about every 5 or 10 feet apart. droppers are wooden or composit/fiberglass posts that are attached to every wire with a cotter pin and only touch the ground to help keep the fence from sagging. the extra droppers also help flood debris flow over the fence as it lays flat during a flood and pops back up when the water stops flowing. there are some cases in Australia where there are miles of this fence.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Arthuritis. That is good to know because we do have several areas where water draining off of pastures makes for big problems. We've never had a flood like this where the canal overfilled and pushed out into the pastures with 4ft high debris even stuck on thistles near there. Much of this land just sloughed off into the canal. . In the picture, you can see some trees just looking like they had been growing there when in fact, the land gave way and slid down yet remaining upright in some cases.
I do appreciate you telling me about the way of constructing a fence in flood areas. There one place where last years corn debris from the cropland next door, actually pushed over a long stretch of fence .. The T posts are all on the ground with a 5 strand fence in disarray. Again, thank you. Also how is that fancy fence machine of yours doing?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
20190321_143617.jpgThanks Collie the fence machine is just wonderful. i will try and get some pics for you. something else i have discovered since i decided to replace all of the miles of fence on the ranch is that Red Brand wire will rust and break in about ten years. now i have to replace that fence to "ARGH" . i have since settled on a new brand of wire called "Tornado Wire" it is High Tensile class 3 galvanized and is great stuff. you can really get it tight and it stays that way. the barbed wire comes in conventional sized rolls or 1 mile long rolls. i will be using 4 point and net wire both. another positive is you can space the posts further apart and save some money. then there is using SS40 galvanised pipe instead of wood posts. i figure my new fences will last 50 years before my children need to replace them.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That looks good ..real good.. but out of our budget . what a time saver though and elimination of manual labor. Bil bought a used Cat dozer and big cat trac hoe so I doubt I could talk him into that. but going to show him the pictures. :)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea it is a one man machine. just walk along beside it or ride on the platform. it carries a full bundle of posts and several rolls of wire. you can tear out drive posts weld new corners and unroll wire all at the same time. then when you get to the other end it will stretch the wire too. real time and labor saver. there is a fella in Indiana that sells the wire, posts and machines if you want one. i suggest strongly you try the tornado wire,it is real real good stuff.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Please post here if you notice a sale on the batteries. And I'll do the same if I see them on sale. For now I'll be running with just one battery but know I will want a 2nd one before to long.

CPO Outlet has a free battery deal going now for Milwaukee tools

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
CPO Outlet has a free battery deal going now for Milwaukee tools
I'm confused on the Milwaukee battery names and sizes. The only item of the ones on sale that I could justify is the Milwaukee 2498-24 M12 Lithium-Ion 4-Tool Combo Kit

It comes with two batteries and you can get a FREE Milwaukee 4.0ah XC Battery with this item! A $77.90 value.

The tools would use a smaller battery than the pole saw and weed eater I just bought ...I'm guessing. and 4.0ah XC does not sound like the name of the battery that works in the pole saw. Can anyone verify this. I'm not buying unless I get the battery that fits the pole saw and weed eater setup. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.