Ammo sale

joe lasky

From the Winston Salem Journal, and I was just on that road early last night to boot!

"Southbound lanes of U.S. 52 in northern Winston-Salem remain closed this morning and are expected to be at least partially closed through the morning commute as a result of a tractor-trailer crash that occurred last night.

The morning commute will be further complicated by a thick layer of fog that is blanketing the Triad this morning, police said. In the area around the accident on U.S. 52, visibility has been reduced to about 200 feet because of the fog, police said this morning.

The wreck occurred between N.C. 66 and the Ziglar Road bridge. The truck, which was carrying 40,000 pounds of ammunition ran off U.S. 52 South last night about 5:30 p.m., police said, spilling the ammunition and diesel fuel near the highway.

The driver, Roger Leppala, 59, of Farmington, Minn., was taken to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center for injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

Police said one lane of the highway may be re-opened around 7 a.m. to help with the commute, but significant delays should still be expected. Southbound traffic is being detoured onto N.C. 66 at exit 117 to University Parkway.

The National Weather Service has issued a dense fog advisory for most of central North Carolina, with visibilities reduced to less than a quarter of a mile in many places. The advisory is in effect until 9 a.m."

My question is how many rounds in 40,000 lbs?:D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And if that diesel fuel ignited. Fireworks for sure. :D
Do you think it was someone taking their personal stash of ammo home? :D

I've seen movies where bullets are put in a fire and they go off ... but I wonder to they actually fire as if the fireing pin were hit or do they simply explode? I've never tried it and don't plan too ....

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Do you think it was someone taking their personal stash of ammo home? :D

It wasn't one of my ammo deliveries.

The last truck load arrived Wednesday and I took the forklift back to the rental place yesterday.

rback33

They just explode. Nothing too exciting. We would throw .22 shells in the campfire to here them explode. First few times we hid behind a log while doing it...:hide:

urednecku

My question is how many rounds in 40,000 lbs?
a BUNCH!!

I read a Firehouse article years ago, the writer did some experiments to see just how much damage "open" ammo would do if set off by heat. He used a bunson burner under a steel plate, with heavy lexan or plexiglass around it. Since the shot weighs much more than the shell casing, the casing is what 'shoots' the most, but is so much lighter, and the 'explosion' is not contained, it has little power. For some reason he had his arm over the plate wearing a firefighter coat, when a 12 ga went off. Said it did not leave a bruise, just a mess in his pants. (Yes, he admitted how stupid THAT was!)

But no, I still don't wanna be too close!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My question is how many rounds in 40,000 lbs?:D

Just weighted a couple of cases (1000 rounds)

55 grain .223 is @32 pounds per 1000, 40,000 pounds = 1250 cases, 1,250,000 rounds

230 grain .45ACP is @56 pounds per 1000, 40,000 pounds - 714 cases, 714,000 rounds

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just weighted a couple of cases (1000 rounds)

55 grain .223 is @32 pounds per 1000, 40,000 pounds = 1250 cases, 1,250,000 rounds

230 grain .45ACP is @56 pounds per 1000, 40,000 pounds - 714 cases, 714,000 rounds

Just for grins, did a little searching around.

750 grain .50BMG is @300 pounds/1000, 134 cases, 13,400 rounds.

Not near as many bangs in 40,000 pounds but the ones you get are VERY LARGE! :tiphat: