Can Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 be used in our RTV 900s

Tact

When Auto Zone ran a sale on Mobil 1 TDT 5w30 synthetic at such a low price by mistake, I stocked up. Normally it's like $26-28/gallon container, and they ran it on sale for $12.99. I'd be embarrassed to admit how many gallons I bought, but I use it in my F250.

Would this not be advisable to use in our RTV 900s, or would this be a good recommended change? Mine is a 2004 model.

Any pros or cons switching to this oil?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Fred, how 'ya been?

I'd use it. It seems a little lighter than the 15W-40 but may be better IMHO in the winter. It's API rated SM which is plenty good enough (RTV is API SG or am I thinking of my tractor?)

Tact

Hey Fred, how 'ya been?

I'd use it. It seems a little lighter than the 15W-40 but may be better IMHO in the winter. It's API rated SM which is plenty good enough (RTV is API SG or am I thinking of my tractor?)

What's up, Brian. Hope you are doing well. Been a while!

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out a hard start issue with the RTV(another thread here) and I noticed that I was due for an oil change. I think I'm going to try this Mobil 1 synthetic and see how she likes it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've used Mobil one in my my equipment for years now. Even in my older Baja w/ a 454 big block. Was warned it might cause leaks in an older engine. Not in this one. It worked great and lowered the operating temp. I believe it extended the life of that engine. As well as my old 93 chevy 350. I sold it a few years ago with 199k on it. And I still see it running the roads around where I live. I used Mobil one in it from 150k on. I have mobil one in my Kubota tractor right now. No issues, but I did read that synthetic can make it harder for a diesel to get warm enough to get to the right operating temp. I've never had an issue with the tractor running mobile one but that article did make me wonder. So when I was having my RTV serviced a few months ago I had them change all fluids while they were at it. So ...I do not have mobile one in my RTV.

Sure wish I could find mobile one for 12.99 a gallon. :eek: What buy!!!! :wow:

Mark.Sibole

5w will work fine in the colder temps i think with no problems.As things warm up id go back to a heavier oil if you run her hard but I think you will be ok.Personally ive never used synthetic oils so i have no expierance with them.