New X1100 Hour Meter Revision

doublejack

We've got a 2014 X1100 and would like to revise the wiring on the hour meter to show actual run time instead of "switch-on" time. Had a snow plow installed by the dealer he put 5 hours on the hourmeter with the key switch on. The new X1100 series has an instrument cluster in the "dash". I assume one would need to get behind that instrument cluster in order to rewire the hourmeter. Question is: has anyone taken the dash apart on the new X1100 series? Do we have to remove the whole "dash" to get at the cluster? I began to explore what's involved in getting into the "dash" and gave up after realizing the steering wheel would have to come off and that looks like a challenge without chewing up the plastic steering wheel. Anybody got any ideas or advice?

King

It might be easier to by a new hour meter and mount it under or on top of the dash or by the dump bed handle and run a wire back to the engine to show engine hrs actually running.

doublejack

Spudhauler: Thanks for the heads-up on existing solution. I think the new "X" models are a whole different can of worms. As I said, there is a "console/cluster" that looks mostly electronic and even if a person could get at the backside of it, I don't know if there would be a solution to the issue. Thanks for your consideration

Mark.Sibole

My personal opinion an hour meter is only a reference for things.A lot of machines may show high hours but the question now id high hours from a heavy work load?Fron a lot of ideling?Key left on?
Mine shows a few hours on it but i know myself a ton of them are from just idleing during warm up in the cold winter or from leaving it run while im walking to a bait pile or weed wacking around the property.So for me an hour meter is just a reference meter that can tell a thousand lies.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
My lightly-used '15 X900 hour meter does not run when the key is switched "on" without the engine running. I tested it by turning the key "on" and coming back 15 minutes later to see it has not changed indication. (Each 1/10th would be 6 minutes... so it should have advanced .2 if it ran with the key on without the engine running.)