Heavy duty front springs

L16

Howdy group. The last time I posted, it was in the "Prebuy info gathering" string. Well, I got my RTV today and I just don't have the words to express how neat this machine is. The dealer didn't have the soft top or any of the other options I purchased in stock, but he said they'd be in any time. I spoke with the machanic and he said they haven't been putting the heavy duty front springs on any of the late model units they've sold. My question is this, are they really necessary? If so, the dealer said he'd supply them for me to change out if I wanted them. But he wants me to believe they're not necessary. I'm getting the soft cab, not the steel cab. I'm also going to be using the snow blade. Should I press this issue and change the struts? Or are the late model springs strong enough? Thanks. Rog

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rog,

Glad you're enjoying your RTV.

For the front struts, this is my opinion only...
I would not think you would need them for the soft cab.
You "might" need them for the plow.

Here's what I would do. Get the plow and some of the other planned accessories first. Once you have the plow, winch... you've pretty much got an idea of your weight. Mount the plow in the summer and take some measurements, do some driving... and see what happens. If it squats or rubs, you then look into getting the new struts.

If I recall, you got the ATV tires. If so, I doubt you would need to swap for any aftermarket and probably wouldn't want/need the lift kit. I say this because I believe the lift kit could be used instead of the HD struts.

Brian

G

They are $180, if they are offering to give them to you I'd take them. They are right that they are probably not nessesary. I am sure when Kubota engineered that option they had the most extreme situation in mind.

L16

All the accesories came in yesterday afternoon and I picked them up today. I couldn't believe how heavy the snow blade and soft top was. When they put the soft top crate on my truck, it squated. The dealer also gave me the heavy duty struts. I miked the spring diameter on the old and the new and the new heavy duty springs are indeed larger in diameter. Not by much, but bigger. The old ones have a white marker on the springs and the new have a red marker. They may be the same, but I'll feel much better knowing I did all I could to make it right. Now I just have to install all this stuff. My garage looks like a Kubota shop. I didn't know it but the snow blade, cab, and even the heater are made in the states by Curtis Cabs. http://www.curtiscabs.com/ I'm glad Kubota uses American made equipment. I couldn't believe the packing, first rate. And the quality of the extra's is excellent. I'm one happy individual. Thanks to all you guys for answering all the questions I threw at you, made all the decision making very easy. Rog

G

L16;</P>

If you'll post your direct e-mail, I'll send you a couple pictures of the Kubota snao plow assembled that will really help you put it together. It is truely a great plow, and yes heavy. I don't have the heavy duty springs, but with the plow, hard top and window, I think I'll install the heavy springs before fall. One thing I can tell you, put some small side wings on it and it will not stop pushing snow! Great set-up in Alaska.</P>

L16

Thanks for the offer, but I put the heater in the day after I picked up everything. I put the cab on the next day and the plow the next. Everything went well except the bolts they give you to replace the ones you take out of the brush guard were of a thread that was muchtoo coarse. I called the factory and spoke with the engineerwho designed the plow. Very nice gentleman who apologized for the inconvenience and promised to ship the correct ones. Even with the heavy duty struts, the nose lowers noticeably when the blade is raised off the ground. That is a heavy dude. Can you tell me more about these side wings of which you speak? I'm not familiar with them. Thanks. Rog</P>