a new noise

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
[&]I just recently {my warranty is now out}have heard a strange noise. It's a power steering type noise that is coming and going. If you let your foot off the pedal,the noisestops instantly.I hope it is something rubbing, but I'm afraid not...any ideas?? I do have a lot of mud under the frame. 715 hrs and counting. Thanks .. Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="bordercollie"]I hope it is something rubbing, but I'm afraid not...any ideas??

I do have a lot of mud under the frame. 715 hrs and counting.[/quote]

I would start by getting rid of the mud... That can make all kinds of things rub (that shouldn't).
I would probably do a visual inspection of the mud before removal to see if you can see where mud has been rubbed smooth (rubbing against something else).

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
[&]I have cleaned the RTV and still hear the noise . I think it may just be getting my attention because the driveshaft is so quiet now. I have had a lot of opportunity to listen as II have been using the heck out of the boomless 60 gallon sprayer we bought. I love it being on a trailer so I can drop and go. I have sprayed and sprayed and sprayed. The RTV just keeps going and going!! 756 hours and counting!! Bordercollie.[:D]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How's the hyd fluid level?
Have you changed it and the filter at recommended interval?

Do you have a safe means to lift the rear end so you can let the tires drive while you look around to isolate the location of the sound? You may need a 2nd person to run the pedal for you.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks BCZOOM, My trans oil is so clean that it is hard to see on the stick. I have changed the trans once at about 400 hrs. I will change it again next week as I am short on UDT and need to buy some. My ears aren't picking up the noise but every now and then. I sure like this machine. Bordercollie Belle is now my #1 riding partner. She cries to go when she hears Hoss crank. What a great combo. I stop at the ponds and let her take a quick dip. ahh.. [&]a little reward for such good company. Thanks, Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I changed my trans filters and oils last week and am glad to report that I have no odd noises!! Thanks for the suggestion BC. There was some metallic stuff on the magnetic plug. I guess the filters were probably trying to tell me that it was time to change them.I will change more often now. I just turned over on 822 hours and still love this baby! Thanks again, Bordercollie[&][:D]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear all is well again.

I would stick to the regular service interval for changing the hyd fluid/filters unless you have an issue.