Just Lurking, Very interested in the Hill climbing Ability.

Topcat

Hello to all, I'm interested in the RTV900 and have been lurking on this web site and trying to decide if this is the machine for me. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains in Northern California (elev. 2000). I've got lots of steep canyons on and around my property and I want to haul firewood out of the woods (we burn about seven cords a year) Reading some of these threads talking about hill climbing, some of you are complaining about the 900 being underpowered. Will this rig handle steep hills with a full load of firewood? I'm not too concerned with speed but I want the machine to work. Apart from firewood duties my wife will use the machine for a wheelbarrow around her garden. I would also like the machine for recreation, we enjoy running the fire trails. Is the hill climbing a real issue? Thanks for your input! Topcat.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Topcat,

Welcome to the forum.

I was expecting hills to be an issue as well. I asked the dealer to bring out a demo and if it could climb my hills, I'd buy it.

Well. It does climb hills alright. Although my firewood processing has me bringing it down the hill, I carry stumps (big ones) to the top of the hill.

I would propose you try to get a demo unit brought to your place so you can drive it under your terms.

Brian

Topcat

Hey Brian, that's a great idea. I'm thinking mabey the dealer will rent me one for a week, month or whatever. I will check on that, thanks for your reply! Topcat

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know if they'll rent you one but most dealers would be happy to bring a demo unit out. The salesman came out with it and we went for a 30-45 minute ride. That was all I needed to be convinced. I ordered one on the spot (as he didn't have a worksite version with him).

PS. I just thought of something. Give me an idea where you are in the mountains (near what town). I'm hoping it'll only take me a day to remember who it is but thought I recall someone in the same area that has a RTV and he could give you an idea how it works in your terrain. If I can remember who it is, I may be able to get the 2 of you in touch with each other.

Brian

Topcat

Brian, I live just off our "famed" Hwy. 17 just south of Los Gatos (San Jose) at the summit of the pass in the Santa Cruz mountains. I'm also about 15 miles north of Santa Cruz in northern CA.
I called one of the local dealers yesterday after getting your message and he said they rented the machine for $75.00 per day. I was going to call another dealer and see if they would rent me one and apply the rental to the price if I bought it. Stay tuned! Topcat