New to RTV Questions

Jaynen

Hello
I just bought a 2010 RTV900 and I have a couple of questions. The first is with the accelerator pedal. I bought and installed a coast valve but i noticed the gas pedals stills returns slowly due to a damper. Do i need to keep this damper on still even with the coast valve? I dont want any cavitation.

Next how well do these machines handle on ice? My main concern is slowing down at a stop sign. Thanks.

Mark.Sibole

Nothing handles good on ice.
In time when you get used to the maching the coast situation will not be an issue.
As this is set up like no other machines out there I find it very useful especially when going down steep grades.I cant think of the last time Ive actually had to use the brakes on mine.
JUst remember while letting off of the accelerator is like applying a break.Go nice and easy and always give yourself room.Thats the best advise I can give anyone who owns a Kubota RTV

Jaynen

Ya thats the problem. Im trying to let off the gas easy but the damper adds a variable. Im sometimes confused at where the pedal is and im worried adding ice to the mix will make it very confusing. Does the damper have to stay on to protect the transmission? Ive only driven it for 30mins so I have almost no experience.

Jaynen

The damper attached to the cable by the engine.

Also can i switch gears while moving or do i need to come to a stop then switch. Say im driving down the road and im in low gear, can i just switch to high without stopping?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
unfortunately there is no shifting while moving. When I first bought my 900 I would try to take some of my hills in Medium. The RTV would bog down and I would have to stop on the hill and put it in low and proceed up the hill. Most other areas Low is to slow so I want it in M, but I have to stop to shift into M. Thanks to folks here I learned about the hand throttle that allows you to up the RPM while still going at slower speeds. This lets me climb most of my hills in M rather than having to stop to put it in L.

ovrszd

I meant to look aty '08 900 today concerning the damper but forgot. If mine has one it don't work. Let off throttle, instant idle.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I don't have a 900 mine is an 1100 but after i installed the coast valve i disconnected the dampner that made the peddle return slowly and now i like it much better. my suggestion is to try it and see.if you don't like it you can re connect it

PS my dampner was not on the fuel pump but was on the HST control linkage. anyway it was supposed to prevent you going through the windshield when letting off of the throttle. i like the coast valve much better and i still don't need my brakes.

ovrszd

Sounds like the dampner in later models was Kubota's method of softening the sudden stop issue.

I'd be following Authur's suggestion and unhook it. I also use a coast valve and only use my brakes on steep inclines. Smooth stops.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes that was Kubotas attempt for a short while to address customer complaints about sudden stops. they finally got it right in the X models. the coast valve is a much better fix in my opinion.:starbucks:

Sounds like the dampner in later models was Kubota's method of softening the sudden stop issue.

I'd be following Authur's suggestion and unhook it. I also use a coast valve and only use my brakes on steep inclines. Smooth stops.

Mark.Sibole

OK on my 2004 there is something on the linkage right at the tranny if i remember right kind of looked like a pistion.It was there to reduce how fast the throttle released.It basicaly eased off thje release when you let the pedal off the floor.When mine went out it acted like a car when you release the pedle it coasted.When they put a new one on it went back to the dynamic braking.If one likes the idea of the coast it can be removed I would think. I had it both ways and prefered the dynamic braking .Im so used to it now its a non issue and rarely use the brake unless im holding my self in place from rolling down a hill or rolling backwards on a hill.

Jaynen

Im just worried if i take it off the transmission will cavitate. I dont want to break or wear anything out.

Jaynen

A few more questions. How long does a tank of diesel last? I understand the difference between idling and full rpms but what are some ballpark numbers?

Also will the hydraulic fluid for the dump bed work for the winter? I am using the hydraulics for a plow and dont want things to slow down if it gets really cold.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i actually figured my mileage once but don't remember exactly what it was now. i will take a stab at it and estimate from memory aprox 15 miles per gallon. like i said from memory.

Mark.Sibole

hydro fluid only use the super utv 2 fluids from kubota.I have had no issues in temps at 20 below zero.As forr a tank of fuel all depends.While plowing in the winter a tank will last me 2 days and thats plowing about a mile of driveway with 8 to 10 inches of snow.In the summer while just driving about and having fun ill get about a week and a half.I couldnt tell you milage wise but it seems to last forever.The more you load the machine the more fuel you will use.All in all it gets excellent fuel hours.I couldnt be happier with mine and ive owned it since new in 2004 and its still going strong other than U joints which they all have issues with.It loves the inner joints for some reason but the outer joints last forever it seems as I have never had to change mine and just inspected them and they are still like new but I cant say that for the inner joints as I go through a set every 1 to 2 years depending on how hard I am on them...

Jaynen

Okay good to know. My plow run is 10 to 16 hours so i was hoping a tank and a 20litre diesel can would make it. And thanks for the info on the hydraulic fluid and inner u joints.

As for loading the machine i got a 200 plow or less out front and 400lbs of cargo in the back. I took it for a test drive and noticed my top speed was about 32 to 35kmh. Does the top speed slow down with more weight? Or was my straight away not long enough?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Our 04 will go 10 to 13 hours on a tank. Mostly full throttle going up our hills or more or less coasting down the other side. Seldom sits and idles so it's often pulling a trailer, hauling 20 bags of feed, green wood as high as it will go, or a load of rock/dirt for fill over and over. It's for work and it does that quite well.........