Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

herman48

I am looking forward to having my 2013 F 150 paid off. Unfortunately it's not going to happen any time soon. I still owe almost seven grand and am paying 400 dollars a month.
Yes, hard times are coming. With You-Know-Who in the White House we can all look forward to a repeat of the Carter years--only much worse because of the tsunami of illegals and jihadists that will overwhelm us. Anyhow, congratulations, BC!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Finally , I got the paperwork ! My Kubota RTV is now, officially, paid in full .She drove even better and the air felt so good hitting me in the face- free and clear. ) I'm going to hold on tight to the former payment and not go into debt with what I feel is coming in the economy.
No more payments....:dancing: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !! (double Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) !!
bordercollie

Congrats. That is awesome. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

By coincidence I paid off my RTV 900 Oct 26th. It does feel good to own it finally. Wish I could now put the payment into savings but ....instead I took out a car loan which was the reason I paid off my RTV loan a few months early. Such is life.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations Judy!!!

Be thankful the RTV isn't built like a 1970's car. :) If it were, it would be time to scrap it and buy a new one. Many of those old cars only lasted as long as the payment book.

ovrszd

Congratulations Judy!!!

Be thankful the RTV isn't built like a 1970's car. :) If it were, it would be time to scrap it and buy a new one. Many of those old cars only lasted as long as the payment book.

Yep. I bought my first licensed car in 1967. It was a 1963 Ford Fairlane. Bought it off a dealer's lot used with 56K miles. Paid $500. Clearly remember the salesman telling me it might have a couple more years of good service left in it. :)

herman48

Congratulations Judy!!!

Maybe. But we used to have a 69 Pontiac Le Mans (3.5 L) that my wife bought used before we got married, and we sold it in 1981 when it had 178,000 miles and was still going. Only one major repair: the timing chain slipped and had to be replaced, at about 100,000 miles. I drove that car through many a blizzard and in -30 to -40 temperatures in the winter and 90-100 degree weather in the summer in Northern Montana. In 1981 we bought a brand-new Jeep CJ7 that didn't even last half as long as the Pontiac before starting to fall apart. Then in 1992 we bought a brand-new Ford Ranger that was a lemon. First the starter died. Then the front U-Joints died. Then the fuel pump died. Then the second starter died... As soon as the warranty was about to expire we traded this in for another Ranger that lasted quite a few years without problems and that we sold before leaving Alaska in 2013. My wife instead had bought first a Jimmy that was nickel-and-diming us to death with lots of minor problems. She traded it in for a Blazer, and that was OK until the gas tank got rusted and began to leak. These were all vehicles of the 80's and 90's. We sold the Blazer (after changing the tank) and bought a Ford Escape in 1998. We still have that and it runs great but only with ethanol-free gas.
Oh, I forgot. When we were in Montana I bought also "Old Yeller," a 1948 Jeep pickup, for $300. After getting new tires, a new timing chain cover (the old one was cracked and leaked and sprayed oil) and a new front driveshaft I used this oldie hard for several years to go hunting and fishing and eventually traded it in for the new 81 Jeep. After a very long haggling session the salesman got tired of me and offered me $800 trade-in credit for this pickup. Too bad I forgot to remove the fish stringer that I was using to hold up the muffler and exhaust pipe before turning it in. I had to buy another fish stringer! Anyhow, I am not too sure that the year has too much to do with the quality of a car. I think there are too many exceptions to generalize. This is my humble opinion, of course.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Agreed that my statement was a huge generalization. I do seem to recall the Ford's of that era were the ones that rusted out quickly.

I bought a new truck a month or 2 ago ('16 Silverado). I'm a bit disappointed in the body panels. When you knock on them, they sound paper thin. The bumpers don't seem very robust either. I hope they used a good paint as I'd think bare metal that thin would rust through quickly. With a curb weight of 5300#, I wonder why it's so heavy with as thin as the metal is getting.

seery

The body steel on our RAM 3500 Cummins Mega cab [curb weight 8500#] doesn't at all seem thin [compared to the other 8 trucks we've bought new since 1990].

Even at that weight, we average 23+ MPG on the highway [at ~1450rpm].

Attachments

• RAM3500.jpg
    RAM3500.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 64

herman48

I like my 2013 Ford F150, but I would not buy the new Ford pickups made out of recycled Coke cans... If they get dinged, first of all it will be hard to find body shops able to work on aluminum. Furthermore, I saw somewhere (TV? Net?) that body repairs are going to be extremely expensive. But I am an old curmudgeon and tend to shy away from newfangled stuff...

Mark.Sibole

I am looking forward to having my 2013 F 150 paid off. Unfortunately it's not going to happen any time soon. I still owe almost seven grand and am paying 400 dollars a month.
Yes, hard times are coming. With You-Know-Who in the White House we can all look forward to a repeat of the Carter years--only much worse because of the tsunami of illegals and jihadists that will overwhelm us. Anyhow, congratulations, BC!

I go to bed nightly and pray to god that Killery isnt elected.If she is this country will fall fast and possibly into a cival war from what I have been reading. God Bless and keep safe

ovrszd

Disclaimer::::::: No flame intended......

A Civil War would require two elements of our society willing to bleed for what they believe. Not happening...... :(

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There is some very heavy stuff going on out there......and" it" is all about to hit the fan. If the fellow I like gets into office, then we may have a chance. 2 Chronicles 7:14 Be ready. It's in the Book . judy

Mark.Sibole

Well seeing everything I own is breaking ,might as well throw in a flat tire from dry rot.But this time I cant afford to replace it but found a perfact fix for the poor man out there.Remove tire.Patch hole in tube if you have 1.Sand inside tire and addd a nice heavy duty patch over the tear.Mine was from dry rot and I could put my finger through the hole.While I had the tire off I inspected to see which one was going to let loose.Thought of patching them but would have been a lot of work.So The tire sat on the work bench for a few days as I wasnt doing well.Got to thinking about it and what pops up on the TV? A commercial for Flex seal.I thought 15 bucks for a can of that or 130 for a new tire.I went the cheap rout as times are togh.Well tube was patched then added the heavy duty parch to the rip which was about 3 inches long.Let the glue dry then took the flex seal and sprayed the whole inside of the bad tire.I applied 3 coats which built it up about 1/8th of an inch.Put it all bavk together and it has worked fine even with a full load of fresh cut maple.Figure thats about 800 pounds.Its been holding for 3 weeks with no issues.So if you have a tire that is leaking from dry rot get a can of flex seal and apply 3 or 4 coats of flex seal(which drys to rubber) then add a tube.Ill keep you all informed as time goes on on how it holds but so far so good.If you havnt used flex seal it is a great product!!!!!

Pumpkin

Gold Site Supporter
How do you hang/place a pistol in RTV 900 with metal roof. TAURUS judge 45/410 2 1/2 inch barrel with holster. In and out to much to keep strapped on. Thanks for any help. Love this forum

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
Hmmmm, that's an interesting challenge. I'm heading out to my deer camp tomorrow where my '05 900 is and I'll see if I can come up with anything. In the meantime, have you considered a shoulder holster? That's how I usually carry my Thompson Center .44 Magnum Contender when I'm running around the property on the Beast.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well seeing everything I own is breaking ,might as well throw in a flat tire from dry rot.But this time I cant afford to replace it but found a perfact fix for the poor man out there.Remove tire.Patch hole in tube if you have 1.Sand inside tire and addd a nice heavy duty patch over the tear.Mine was from dry rot and I could put my finger through the hole.While I had the tire off I inspected to see which one was going to let loose.Thought of patching them but would have been a lot of work.So The tire sat on the work bench for a few days as I wasnt doing well.Got to thinking about it and what pops up on the TV? A commercial for Flex seal.I thought 15 bucks for a can of that or 130 for a new tire.I went the cheap rout as times are togh.Well tube was patched then added the heavy duty parch to the rip which was about 3 inches long.Let the glue dry then took the flex seal and sprayed the whole inside of the bad tire.I applied 3 coats which built it up about 1/8th of an inch.Put it all bavk together and it has worked fine even with a full load of fresh cut maple.Figure thats about 800 pounds.Its been holding for 3 weeks with no issues.So if you have a tire that is leaking from dry rot get a can of flex seal and apply 3 or 4 coats of flex seal(which drys to rubber) then add a tube.Ill keep you all informed as time goes on on how it holds but so far so good.If you havnt used flex seal it is a great product!!!!!

Mark, keep me informed on this and thanks for posting this information. :tiphat: judy

Status
Not open for further replies.