200 hour service

Rockarosa

Ready to do the 200 hour check-up on my 1120 and wondering what motor oil and hydraulic oil people are using. Of does everyone just use the Kubota. Thinking of using Rotella T5 or T6 motor oil.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Motor oil is a personal preference so long as it meets the diesel rating requirements for the engine.

For the hydraulics, stick with Kubota UDT or SUDT. It doesn't like off-brand fluids.

ovrszd

I agree with zoom on the engine oil. I use JD Plus 50 15W-40. Only because it's readily available and I have had no bad experiences with it. The hydraulics I use SUDT2. Noticed improved performance in my Kubota M9540 when I changed to that oil. Performs better in cold startup situations. Quieted the system noticeably.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I use John Deere 15w40 Plus II. We have it in 5 gallon buckets for our tractors . I understand that Rotella is good too but only use Sudt2 in the transmission. I have I've collected about 7,200 hours of seat time on my 2 RTVs and never had engine nor transmission trouble. Kubota filters . bordercollie

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
I purchased my 1st new diesel truck in Dec 2014. At this time I have a whopping 10,500 miles on the truck. Me, being a retired engineer leads me to a lot of research. Use to be that Rotella was the diesel engine oil. Turns our for at least some of their oils, they have reduced the additives that protect the engine such as Zinc. I was a bit surprised at this move by Rotella.

After saying all that, I have used and will likely continue to use Kubota engine and transmission fluids in my 2011 RTV 900 XT. This recipe has lead to no issues on my RTV.

Have a Blessed Day! Philip

Tact

Since I switched to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40 several years ago for my 2003 Ford F250, I have also switch to that oil for the Kubota. Seems to be liking it fine so far.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Since I switched to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40 several years ago for my 2003 Ford F250, I have also switch to that oil for the Kubota. Seems to be liking it fine so far.

Basically that's me. Everything I own gets synthetic oil, usually Mobil 1 but sometimes Rotella, except for the F350 which still gets Rotella 15w-40. When you're only using a few quarts, the extra cost of a good synthetic is insignificant against the extra protection that you get. Having said that, I have a good friend who believes that using any premium motor oil will be OK as long as you change it at the required intervals. Modern motor oils are so good that he may have a point but I'm not changing my ways now.

I always use Kubota hydraulic fluid and filters.

Tact

When I switched to Mobil 1 I saw an ad from Auto Zone which advertised a 4 quart container for $12.99. I knew the normal price was something like $26-27. I called and verified the price and the rep stated that the ad was a misprint but they were honoring the price. I bought $500 in oil and switched to that oil in all my diesel engines. :)

Rockarosa

Hi bordercollie. I had a question, do you use the SUDT2 in Transmission and the hydraulics also. This is my 1st Kubota and I had a young boy that waited on me. He didn't seem to know much.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Rockarosa. I'm not familar with the 1120 but on my 900, I only use the kubota fluids in the hydraulic reservoir and don't change it as suggested in the manual- it just sits there most of the time. If I had a snow plow and worked the hydraulics daily, I would change it more. The weed wiper I use in the summer was used for only a few days. I also use the same in the knuckle cases .
Some folks like to go by the book though and that is a good plan if a person is concerned about the length between changes in the reservoir I do change the transmission but stretch the hours between changes with the quality sudt2 synthetic fluid. Be sure to read the recent post on here about the location of filling ports on the newer rtvs. Their odd locations have cause a lot of misery for some owners of them. terrible manual they say.. You have a great day . collie

edit : http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17000&highlight=1120 this is a good thread among many others