Managing RTV Refueling

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
After putting about 10 hours and 50 miles on our X-1120, it was ready for some fuel. I've been told never to run the tank dry and that its probably a good idea to fill it up when it gets below a half-tank. It was just a touch below half-tank.

So I ordered a plastic container (yellow) from Amazon and thought I had avoided those contraptions with valves that always seem to break. But it turns out, it has some crazy switch where you have to arm the valve and press a lip against the neck of the tank. And once your docking maneuver is complete, there is no air vent so the vacuum does not let the fuel flow like it should. No kiddin, this is a real acrobatic feat. And when you have a bad shoulder, its just way tougher than it has to be.

Please tell me there is a solution that you have all found that makes re-fueling the RTV a non-event. Tell me the government hasn't take over this facet of our lives as well.

I am going to put some icy hot on my shoulder and stew about this for awhile.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Thanks very much for the link - the TSC part cannot be shipped to Ohio (and several other states) but I was able to order on Amazon and should have them in two days.

Thanks again!

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Never considered some states would not allow sales of the repair kits. Gotta Love Amazon for you folks.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Zoom you are correct. I ordered one standard for my regular gas can and one hi-flo with extension for the diesels. If this works, I will get another can and another hi-flo set.

Thanks for the help everyone

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm getting too old to hold a 5 gallon can shoulder-high to refuel my tractor.
Here's my solution. I just ordered this based on excellent reviews, haven't used it yet.

I think they are primarily used in countries where a kerosene heater or stove is refilled from a jug indoors where you don't want a mess. It has an automatic shutoff based on a float valve in the spout.

Essentially its a powered siphon. Set the fuel jug on the hood of the tractor and go. This should be much cleaner than the sloppy mess I make with the flexible spout on the jug.

Mine came from Ebay, $22 delivered.

https://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-TRANSFER-AUTO-STOP-PROTECTION-BATTERIES/dp/B00MEWP8XG For some reason that's slow to load, be patient.

If the link fails entirely, search ' Terapump TRHD03'.

519yS6TzWCL.jpg

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
CA - Let me know what you think of it. I'm wondering about how long it takes as well.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was using a hand-crank pump from HF, in a 15 gallon plastic barrel. That tank was handy to take to the gas station to refill, then easy to pump into the tractor (with an occasional minor mess). But the only station that sells farm diesel will no longer sell into anything lacking a DOT-compliant label on the container so I had to retire that system.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
CA - Let me know what you think of it. I'm wondering about how long it takes as well.
I looked through the Amazon reviews until I found a relevant quote:

"I pumped five gallons of diesel fuel in my tractor in less than 2 minutes."

Other reviews said buy this specific brand of Korean-made pump. It is good quality sold for non-messy use indoors there, in contrast to China made clones that are hit/miss quality.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been using this auto start siphon hose for 5+ years. No batteries. Moves 3 gallons per minute ... (My times might be a bit slower but it does not take long to unload 5 gal into tractor).

You just move the hose up and down fast to start the siphon. Works like a champ.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-1080...F8&qid=1503514978&sr=1-2&keywords=siphon+hose

For my RTV I have been taking the nozzle off and pouring from the spout into a big funnel. Works for me.

Attachments

• SiphonHose2.jpg
    SiphonHose2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 146

OrangeBuggy

TSC and a lot of other stores have this. I have used three of them to solve your problem.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ez-pour-universal-replacement-spout-kit

This is what I was using also. I still have them but now have ones that the opening is about three times the size. The old ones worked well, but the bigger ones really shorten the time it takes to fuel up. I have a new ZTR ZD1511 and those tanks are high for me. Being able to get fuel poured faster sure makes a difference for me. I got mine through Car Quest, but I'm sure you can find them else where. For the RTV for the most part I just run it down the bar ditches to the co-op which is about six miles from me and take all my jugs with me. I get to play a little that way...

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Find a hundred gallon tank somewhere and get off road fuel delivered. Free delivery and you don't have to pay the road tax for your fuel.

ovrszd

Find a hundred gallon tank somewhere and get off road fuel delivered. Free delivery and you don't have to pay the road tax for your fuel.

Depending on how much fuel a person will use dictates how serious a person should be about avoiding road tax. I average 250 gallons a month. I pay no road tax on that fuel.