Clearing Snow

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Jakes photo of him clearing snow made me think. I used to work with a guy from Colorado who said he loved to clear snow. How many of you guys like to freeze your buns off doing that sort of thing?

I'm interested because these days I hate cold weather. Earlier in my life, it didn't bother me, in fact, I kind of liked it. Coming from Scotland you have to get used to it. I even worked two winters in Wyoming when it got to 30 or 40 below with no problems. But now my knees stiffen up, my back aches, my feet freeze during the winter ... and that's in Texas. I'd hate to be any further north. So, is clearing snow a labor of love or just something that has to done?

:letitsnow:

Jake W

For the last eight years my boys used a quad with a snow blade to clear the snow.
this year I decided it was time to build a blade and also attach an old snow blower I had sitting in the back of the place.
I finished building the blade several weeks ago and found myself looking for the snow every time I went outside.
Yesterday I cleared my yard and two uf my neighbors' yard as well because it was so much fun watching the snow fly through the air.
My B7510 complains a little at times but overall it handles the blower fairly well.

Erik

I kinda like it - both the hand shoveling and the tractor mounted stuff.
there's just something about the peace & quite, along with the rhythm of the activity.
but then, according to my wife and a lot of my friends, i'm a freaking mutant cave troll with no idea of how cold it really is... ;)
OTOH, I completely understand the achy joints part of the equation, too - but i tie that more to changes in weather than the current temperature.

irwin

I'm interested because these days I hate cold weather. Earlier in my life, it didn't bother me, in fact, I kind of liked it. Coming from Scotland you have to get used to it. I even worked two winters in Wyoming when it got to 30 or 40 below with no problems. But now my knees stiffen up, my back aches, my feet freeze during the winter ... and that's in Texas. I'd hate to be any further north. So, is clearing snow a labor of love or just something that has to done?

:letitsnow:

Well frank it's painful to get going when it's cold, so the main task is to make it as easy as possible.
Snow is not so much a fact of life here in southern New England but we do see some, sometimes we get a lot, and I'd rather not see it so deep that I have to do anything. This year will be different because I picked up a used L35 with a curtis cab and heat..but still hope it won't be more than a few inches. :snow:

Attachments

• snowcar.jpg
    snowcar.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 496

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I enjoy clearing snow also since I have the tractor to do the task ...before the tractor, no I did not call it fun. But I have not cleared any for close to two years now. It's been 3 years since I had any real amount to clear. I hope for some real snow to clear this year, but please mother nature, don't overdue it and make up for the lack of snow the previous seasons. :D

Danocheese

I froze both buns off today. -9F 45 mile an hour gusts. It was'nt bad if you kept your back to the wind. THe tractor did not want to play well took an hour to get it to start. Worse part is the wind blew the drifts back in. Now I get to get up at o"dark thirty and open the lane up so the wife can go to a seminar. THe blower wrked well IF you aimed it jsut right you could watch the snow blow for miles.

At least I was'nt stuck in the hosue with the kids. They are getting cabin fever.

Ductape

I've always disliked shoveling......... still do. But, i've always enjoyed mechanized snow removal. Plowing, walk behind snowblower,and tractor have always been enjoyable. I suspect its because i've always loved/been intrigued by all things mechanical. This year is the most enjoyable so far since i bought my latest Kubota tractor with a factory cab this past spring. This weekend we got over two feet of snow between Friday and Sunday. You couldn't have wiped the smile off of my face with a ball peen hammer last night. Wind howling...... at times so bad i had to come to a complete stop because i literally couldn't see three feet in front of the tractor. Single digit temps, no problem! Cranking some tunes makes the time fly by. I tried out our new video camera last night......... I still need more practice, but, all in due time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFXl15CO6aY