FF down?

Erik

I just tried to get into FF - twice - and got a 404 error both times.
server having issues, or is it just me?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Me too.

Doc was going to change to a different DNS server, so at the moment our own ISP's need to relearn how to route to FF.
Illustrated by this: http://www.forumsforums.com/ goes to a 'domain not configured' page at the moment.

I don't know what change he made earlier today but it made FF far quicker - until this outage.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's back for me now, and will come back for all of you soon. I did two things. Increase pipe size and upgraded the DNS server. The DNS server change is what caused the outage. I'm glad you noticed the increased speed before the DNS change hit. So I know both things had an impact. :D

Softwoods

Site Supporter
No .

On the positive side, I'm pretty sure that I haven't missed anything interesting :yum:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was still down, a half hour after Andy posted, but finally I'm back in contact.

Looks good, Doc!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Me too. I just went to post a reply in a thread, and my 'submit' returned:
Not Found

The requested URL /3_9/newreply.php was not found on this server.

And I just tried 'today's posts' and got the same reply.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Nope, I've got nothing.

What am I going to do? Guess I'll just go to bed but I think "Mogambo" is on the box. That should get me by until the wee small hours.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
530 am here , FF,s working fine for Me , Seems to be much quicker too . Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
hmmm, I talked to another member in New England and they were having trouble late last night. I hate to hear it still has not propagated to you softwoods. I'm sure it will be soon. All is running smoothly. Your DNS server simply has to get the message that FF's DNS server changed ...then yours will know where to go when you click on FF.
Sorry for the extended outage. Not at all what I anticipated. I thought it would be a short blip if anything at all. Shows what I know. :pat: :hide:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
It seems to be real random. I've had intermittent 404's, fewer today as time goes on.

I was just now talking with my wife on the phone and wanted to show her the peacock pictures I posted on FF last night. Over here at the ranch the DSL is through a local ISP, small but excellent. I brought up FF here so I could talk her through finding the peacock-photos thread.

But she couldn't reach FF on that pc. She saw only an endless wait, not even a 404. Its on DSL provided by PacBell/Yahoo/ATT. I rechecked mine here and it worked fine, simultaneous with her difficulty. I would have thought that huge ATT's DNS servers would have caught up by now.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
It's back up for me now. I hate it when that happens. When I do get logged back on I have pages and pages of threads to check out. I just got done and it's 01:30 in the morning. I'm going to bed. Doc, you exhaust me. :wink::wink:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang, sorry guys. I had no clue the 24 to 48 hour advertised time to propagate all the DNS hoses was closer to true than I thought. Over time it will all be cleared up but as all the different DNS server learn where FF lives they'll store that info from here on out. It sounds like CA was user a different route depending on when you hit enter. Being so far away you have more potential routes than most of our FF members. I suppose that is why you saw the random access vs 404's.