Pork prices may skyrocket

Mark.Sibole

I wouldnt be a bit surprised if they put some kind of poision in the feed to kill them and jack up the prices anymore.I just dont trust the GOVT as far as I can throe their worthless asses anymore

Kanook

I wouldnt be a bit surprised if they put some kind of poision in the feed to kill them and jack up the prices anymore.I just dont trust the GOVT as far as I can throe their worthless asses anymore

You may be closer to the truth than you think. The problem/illness has just started to show up on this side of the border and I've read that one of the possible sources that authorities are investigating is feed.

BaiJiu

Mark and Kanook I have the same concern. I raise my own hogs and never have a problem, having said that; I set my own rules, big producers are so regulated their hands are tied. I raise mine as naturally as can be, with the regulations today a big producer likely couldn't sell his piglets, feeders, hogs or meat if he/she strayed outside those reg's. If you like pork buy some from a local producer who is pasturing his hogs and you will never eat store bought pork again.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It could be some kind of mold growing in the corn- I think it is alfa toxin or afloxin or something close to that spelling that is becoming more common.. We were offered some for our cows at a discount but the "afloxin" was too high .. we said no way..The world is changing.. real honor is harder to find... collie

BaiJiu

Collie, I hope you are right and that they are able to understand it and get it sorted out quickly, all these ingredients are common in all animal feeds. As you know it doesn't take much to end up with moldy/dusty feed. Rodents are also a consideration and can give you lots of grief as well.

BaiJiu

Bye the way Zoom thank you for bringing this issue to the forum, I really appreciate it.

Kanook

Our daughter insisted that we get a locally raised 'free range' turkey for our Christmas dinner last December. Well after a bit of wavering on the Mrs and my part we conceded and went with the local, fresh, free range bird as apposed to the usual super market agrobis variety. She insisted that we would be glad we did...Hate it when the kids keep proving they know what they are talking about....Worth the premium price and our purchase likely helped pay for that local farm kids Christmas present under the tree.

BaiJiu

Great story Kanook, we definitely need more kids like yours. And they are so right. Plus you know what you are purchasing didn't come from China, Mexico, Srilanka, Indonesia etc. your daughter has her head in the right place and will likely make a difference in future. Kudos to her.