Lexan Windshield

Doehead

Want to put windshield on the Kubota 400 ,considering lexan.I use lexan at work everyday for guards on equipment,is there a different kind of lexan to use outdoors that has a UV rating for the sun?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Just different thickness ...

True Lexan is Lexan....

Many companies will call what they have "Lexan". But it needs to say"Lexan" on the protective cover when you purchase it ...
Lexan is from SABIC Innovative Plastics. Used to be General Electric Plastics, who actually invented it. GE Lexan, is a thermoplastic polycarbonate.

We use it much in the sign industry. I think NASA was the first to use it .....
It's also used as a bullet proof shield ....

................ two guns

Attachments

• Ms Two Guns Teeth.jpg
    Ms Two Guns Teeth.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 285

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
is there a different kind of lexan to use outdoors that has a UV rating for the sun?

Just different thickness ...

True Lexan is Lexan....
Actually, I believe there is a difference. Y'all work with the stuff more than I do. I'm just going by what I use and have read.

I used the Lexan MR10 with MarGard II coating. This is the stuff used/made for commercial doors, windows and other areas exposed to the elements and abuse. My windshield is going on 10 years old. No scratches to speak of and no yellowing.

More details at the link below but here's an excerpt.

"Lexan* MR10 sheets improved Margard® II coating resists abrasion and defies graffiti to ensure a “like-new” appearance for many years to come. The next generation of UV absorbers, Margard® coating now incorporates enhanced UV absorbers to protect the sheet from the debilitating effects of sunlight. As a result, Lexan* MR10 is accompanied by extended warranties that are your assurance of long term product performance; 10 yr. prorated replacement warranty against breakage, yellowing, abrasion, loss of light transmission and coating delamination.^ 15 year warranty against yellowing and light transmission for qualified dual glazed systems."

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23753

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doehead - do you have an attachment method planned yet?

I mounted mine with something that works really slick. They're DJ O-clamps (used in the live music industry for mounting lights and stuff to the trusses).

As I recall, the 500's ROPS diameter is 1.5". If so, these fit perfect. It will make it where you can install or remove your windshield in about a minute or 2.

I can post pics or point you to a thread with how mine attached and looks if you think you may go this route.

prot1001.jpg

Doehead

Thanks TWO GUNS, bczoom!

Products
&
&
&
Home
&
About Us
&
Contact Us
&
Customer Photos
&&
NEW PRODUCTS
&&&& &&&&&&&& &&&& &&&&

&
&
Car Care Products
CarCare Products
Car Covers&
&
Security Systems
Security & Alarms
&
Under The Hood Accessories
Chrome- Polished Stainless
&
Exterior
Accessories
Grilles
Ground Effects
Hood Scoops
Hoods
Lighting
Tail Lights
Rear Spoilers
Window Louvers
Vertical Doors
&
Interior
Accessories
Dash Kits
Dash Covers
&
Novelties & Gifts
Emblems & Graphics
Key Chains
Hats
&
Performance
Air Intakes
Brakes/Pads
Chips/Tuners
Spark Plug Wires
Exhaust Systems
Lowering Springs
&
Cool Things To Have
Fun Stuff&

Wheel Accessories
Wheels & More
&
Navigation&Systems
&
&
&
Shipping Info
&
Privacy Policy
&
Other Links
&
Link Exchange
&&

&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
& Thanks TWO GUNS, bczoom
Someone at work made a comment regarding UV Lexan jokingly, but I didn't believe him.That's what this site is for,never to old to learn Thank You.

&
&

&.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doehead - do you have an attachment method planned yet?

I mounted mine with something that works really slick. They're DJ O-clamps (used in the live music industry for mounting lights and stuff to the trusses).

As I recall, the 500's ROPS diameter is 1.5". If so, these fit perfect. It will make it where you can install or remove your windshield in about a minute or 2.

I can post pics or point you to a thread with how mine attached and looks if you think you may go this route.

prot1001.jpg

I bought these clamps a couple of years ago,on Zooms recommendation -to mount my homemade console. They are perfect !!!! collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use those clamps all over my ROPS (besides the windshield).

My Dad has a RTV 500 and with the 1.5" insert installed, they work on his RTV. I'm assuming the 400 and 500 have the same ROPS.

Doehead

Got my DJ O clamps today,can't wait to get lexan and put them to good use! Thanks for the input everyone.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Brian,
What thickness Lexan did you get? The RTV windshield has a bend in it near the bottom (to match the tubing). How did you account for that? Did you just use a jig saw to cut the piece to fit, or did you order it custom size?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't recall but luckily just found a pic. Looks to be somewhere around 3/16.

For the bend in the ROPS, when I ordered the Lexan, I had them cut it into the 2 pieces I needed. I then went to a local place that makes windows and such and asked about something to hold the 2 pieces in place. They gave me a channel of sorts as well as some U shaped rubber to go between that channel and the lexan.

I also put another channel at the bottom of the windshield (again with that rubber U channel). This gave it a lot more rigidity.

I also put rubber washers on both sides of where the O-clamps come through the Lexan for a little cushion so it's not metal on Lexan. See below for packaging. The fender washer between the O-clamp itself and the windshield, the smaller sealing washer between the Lexan and the wingnut.

Looking through some old pics, it appears (measure yourself to see if this works for you) I had the Lexan cut at 52" wide. Top piece is 18 1/4" tall, bottom piece is 10 1/2" tall.

Attachments

• CIMG3577.jpg
    CIMG3577.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 175
  • CIMG3565.jpg
    CIMG3565.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 172
  • CIMG3567.jpg
    CIMG3567.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 172
  • CIMG4941.jpg
    CIMG4941.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 172
  • CIMG3582.jpg
    CIMG3582.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 174

Doehead

Doc, I'm using 1/4" lexan, I will be putting it in the brake at work and bending it a little to account for the curve in the ROPS. I'm putting the windshield in one piece,because I can remove it quickly with the DJ O clamps.I really don't need to go under the hood that often. Lexan will brake at 45 degrees very well,but not 90 degrees,if you want a 90 degree bend you do two 45 degree bends.

Doehead

Two Guns, Yes ,I have applied heat before on lexan with a heat gun,but you have to be careful that you don't get it to hot or you can distort it and it will bubble. I prefer using a metal brake,it can be tricky stuff to work with so you have to be careful. We make lexan guards at work all the time on equipment so that Doeheads don't stick there fingers where they don't belong!

TRIBUTE100

My 2010 RTV 900 has a factory Lexan windshield with the Kubota name at center bottom. Coming back from a 4x4 trail ride on Monday I forgot to cover the windshield before I covered it with a tarp (I knew better). Well I got a bunch of rub marks on it from traveling at highway speeds.
After reading up on the internet, I bought a bottle of Meguiar's PlastX at Advance Auto and followed the instructions. I was able to get those abrasion marks out, thankfully.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
able to get those abrasion marks out, thankfully.

Great, I happy it all worked out for you. They don't give them windshields away .... Matter of fact, KUBOTA don't give nothing away anymore !!!

........ two guns

Attachments

• LeRoux_Riding.jpg
    LeRoux_Riding.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 114

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Two Guns, Yes ,I have applied heat before on lexan with a heat gun,but you have to be careful that you don't get it to hot or you can distort it and it will bubble. QUOTE]

In the sign industry, we use "Heat Bars". Heats slowly. Bends perfectly and
no cracks or bubbles. There is info on the internet about tools and tips on how to do ....

......... two guns

Attachments

• rabbit.jpg
    rabbit.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 112