Boss V Blade Experiment

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
The past few years here in sw pa has seen milder than usual winters and the ground has not frozen solid. So, whenever I clear the snow from our gravel driveway, I end up plowing gravel also. Shoes on the blade just dig in as well.

I had heard on the Forum where a pipe on the bottom of the blade might help. So, I had to try it. I will post a series of photos explaining how did it. Others with more skill or better tools could do a better job I'm sure.

An arrangement to hold the 3/4" x 36" pipe to cut a 1/4" slot length-wise.

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 172

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Cutting the slot in the pipe using a cut off wheel in an angle grinder.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 174

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Pound the slotted pipe onto the cutting edge of the replaceable cutting edge of the blade.

Attachments

• IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2257.jpg
    IMG_2257.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 173

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Tack weld pipe to cutting edge and paint with primer

Attachments

• IMG_2259.jpg
    IMG_2259.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 174

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Paint with black glossy paint and reinstall. Now... wait for snow and see if this works.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 178

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good! Why wait for snow? Just set it down on your stone and go. If it floats above the stone, success! If it still digs... I'd consider cutting a larger diameter pipe and sliding it over the pipe you have installed. Looks like you could just slide it over from the outside edge of the blade.

quid_non

Very Nice Job!
Please let us know how it works and if you like the modification. Got gravel here also so very interested
Thanks

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I am happy to report the modification to my Boss snow blade can be called a success. I tried it out on my bare gravel driveway and it smoothed it out like a road grader. The blade didn't dig in or 'chatter' at all. The crushed stone is mostly pea gravel size and is not frozen at all.
I am sure it will handle snow and ice much better now. The sharp edge of snow blades is great for paved surfaces but this 'pipe edged' blade is just the cats meow for gravel.

:letitsnow:

628pm

Site Supporter
How is the blade on a paved road. My drive is blacktop and I clean some of the country road for my neighbors. So if it works good on those types of road I will modify my blade for the gator.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Bill, my answer to your concern would be a definite 'maybe'.

When I started this project it was to be used for clearing snow from 90% crushed stone driveways and maybe 10% paved surfaces. After taking care of my driveway/parking areas, I usually clear the snow from the driveways of a number of friends/neighbors. I usually don't travel more than two miles from home to do that. Yes, it's still pretty rural here yet. As I'm retired and have the time, why not have some fun in the snow. Using the 1100 RTV wearing a tee shirt and shorts, listening to the golden oldies on the CD and drinking a cup of java while plowing snow in a snow storm... what's not to like. LOL.

But, I digress. However, I'm not sure how long the pipe I installed will wear. Would be much harder on it on a hard surface. The pipe was repurposed for something it wasn't intended. Of course the replaceable cutting blade is of much different steel. Even so, it being replaceable tells that it too will wear.

Nothing ventured- Nothing gained

Keifer aka Keith