need a new chain saw ??

razerface

up here,, mostly they just come ,,cut,,take logs,,leave tops in the woods. They pulled the logs out full length, rubbing the bark off of all the trees on the way out. They broke 2 trees for every tree they cut. It was all done so fast while I was at work, there was nothing I could do when i got home.

Best advice,,,talk to other people who got their woods logged before you commit.

I heard of a guy (after the fact) that does selective logging with a horse pulling the logs instead of machinery.

That was the problem,,,if they had cut them to length in the woods,, shorter logs would have made the turns without harming other trees,,,but then they would have had to make twice as many pulls,,,and that would hurt their $$$$$$$

That big machinery screwed up hundreds of trees. Thank goodness it was selective logging only on trees I agreed to,,so the woods will survive,,but i will loose a lot of trees in the next few years that they damaged beyond repair.

That is nice how down there, the chipper cleans up. I like that. I am making a few brush piles for the rabbits and such too from some tops.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Wow, Dennis you have opened up a popular subject!!!!!

Oregon publishes a chainsaw chain handbook that is very informative. Addresses specifics on chains, the different type for which I had no idea that they existed, and provides good information relative to sharpening the chain and correcting the rake height. My handbook is separating from multiple reads and just being old. Maybe I should get another. I highly recommend getting a copy.

I never mastered sharpening a chain by sight alone. Oregon and others make a manual chain sharpener that enable setting different angle for the different chains that are sharpened. Once set and you make the same number of strokes from each side, oh what a sharp straight cutting chain you'll have produced. I've about worn my sharpening jig out. Love it!!!!

I've heard quite a bit of positive feedback on Echo products. I might buy one if I needed a smaller saw.

My local Husky dealer shared with me that the smaller model Huskies are now "junk". Seem as though the are made at Texarkana (Arkansas or Texas, don't know) right along side of Poulans, and many other cheap chainsaws. I', not saying that Poulans are junk, but folks they are not a Husky or Stihl professional quality. He was so down on tem that he would not sell them. At the time I was wanting to replace a stolen Husky 36. Sorry, Bordercollie. Your 370 may be one of the so called junks, although, I certainly have no idea.

Lastly, personally I will not by a homeowner chainsaw. For the extra amount that a professional model cost, I believe you'll find it well worth that extra.

Okay, I'm tired of rambling, just I expect you are.

God Bless.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Pepr, I have a Husky340 not a 370 ,must have hit the wrong key. It is old and faded but still cranks by the 3rd pull. I don't like the Poulans I have in the past neither but they are a different animal than the Husky of mine. maybe it's just collie luck with my good one but God has cast many blessings on me, like the time a piece of tree flipped up and hit me in the head- looked like a half orange on my temple for a while. Anyway, It works for me for what little I do. The bil has a Stihl farm boss that is ancient and was a great saw till the parts couldn't be found. Now he has a new Stihl farm boss I think it was $700+ . They make different grades on many of these saws so it is a good idea to do a lot of research . That is for sure. bordercollie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I do believe Husqvarna is like many other manufactures. They carry different grades.

And I do know, that different "grades" of equipment, with the same name, is sold at different places.
Like the Zero Turn Husqvarna mowers, John Deere Mowers, Poulan, Skil, and so on.
If you buy a machine from a place like Home Depot, or Lowes. It is NOT the same quality of machine as if you would have bought it from a dealer.
Engines are different. Might be the same made engine, but the engine will not be the quality as it would be as if it came from a dealer. Like the engine blocks are different, carberators, even the drive trains will have better and worst linkages.
This was proven and explained to me a few years ago, from a manufacture representative.

For if I am going to buy a chainsaw, leaf-blower, small tractor or lawn mower.
I would go to a outdoor equipment company who is a "DEALER" for that brand.
Never would I go to a lumber yard, discount center, etc ..etc to buy something like that.

Now this was taken off another website:
Husqvarna doesn't make everything they put their name on. They do make their own chainsaws, but the tractors are made by American Yard Products.

......... two guns

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
And Husqvarna has served me well.

We have here a Husqvarna Leaf Blower, Edger, Limb Trimmer, Zero Turn, Chainsaws, small push mower, and a Husky weed eater.

Did you know Husqvarna also made Garand Rifles back in the day l? They also made sporting rifles.
Husqvarna made motorcycles
Sewing Machines
Tools and Military parts.

............ two guns :starbucks:

900XT

Sheepfarmer - Whitlands is just up the road from me. Thinking about one of their splitters, but they're not cheap.....

Huski 372 XP - perfect saw - not too heavy, plenty of power.

900XT

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
900XT
umm your right there not cheap.... I got remote one 14 years ago about two ago put power pack on so tow it with rtv there very well made !!

Attachments

• P1120591.jpg
    P1120591.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 88

900XT

I'm calling in at the Seymour Show this Sunday and think they have a stand there so I'll take a look.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Sheep Farmer,
Is that a Honda engine on your splitter ?

Also, what kind of tree is that your spitting, sure has some red wood in it !!!
Good Looking Wood.

:a1:

......... two guns

XTROOPER

Two Guns, you are absolutely correct regarding NOT using Walmart cheap oil for Husky chainsaw. I used it when I first bought a new Husky 359 and burnt up the cylinder. The dealer I bought the saw from did not want anything to do with helping me. It was a new saw and another dealer did fix it under warranty and I now ONLY use the Husky oil. I learned the hard way.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too use Husqvarna oil. Pricey to burn up as it costs more than UDT (about $100 per gallon) but for as little as you use per tank, it's worth it.

BaiJiu

Couldn't agree more, another benefit of using the Husky oil is that it doesn't smoke and stink like the cheap stuff.

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
Two guns
Its red gum very hard sort of good for burnig in your wood heater has a lot coals last long time
When hear of bush fires in Australia probably red gum trees burning there to put out in bush fire burn for ever!

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
I got log spilter to use JD 6230 tractor worked really well for 12 years but bit pain with tractor draging it around everywhere supaxe .who made it have power pack with 13 Honda hydro tank bolts on it I put power pack on about two years ago

so now can use on rtv much better but loss some power the JD tractor used to do about 100 liters a min now Honda 13 hp pumps oil around 13 liters min
So it bit slower. Now!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
XTROOPER,
I see your all fixed up proper for running and doing the preventive maintance on your chainsaw.....
Husqvarna 2-Stroke Engine Oil --- Orange Line
Poulan Chain Saw Bar Lube (May I add, that is some good bar oil )--- RedLine
Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer --- Yellow Line
( That what all looks like to me anyway )

Looks like you have a shelf full of quality stuff there mister !!!!

Attachments

• RTV Garage.jpg
    RTV Garage.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 64

XTROOPER

Chainsaw

Twoguns

Your powers of observation are very keen (and a little bit unsettling!) You are correct on all your observations. I learned the hard way that saving money on things like chainsaw oil costs big time in the long run.

I am retired and I think of my job now as cutting firewood. So, an addition to the RTV 1100 that has really made life easy, is the vise on the hitch. I use it to hold my chainsaw when I sharpen the chain. I got into some Locust wood and it was tearing up my chain in short order. It seemed like I wasn't cutting much wood before the chain became very dull. The hitch/vice made the chain sharpening a breeze.

I got the hitch and plate from Harbor Freight for fairly reasonable price and it has been worth the effort.

XTROOPER

Attachments

• 100_3591.jpg
    100_3591.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_3593.jpg
    100_3593.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 65

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I also like that idea on the vise / receiver set-up.

That is great.

......... two guns

Post Script:
The target,
He took the whole load ......
You really got him center mass uh !!!!

Attachments

• center mass.jpg
    center mass.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 54

BaiJiu

XTROOPER,
I see your all fixed up proper for running and doing the preventive maintance on your chainsaw.....
Husqvarna 2-Stroke Engine Oil --- Orange Line
Poulan Chain Saw Bar Lube (May I add, that is some good bar oil )--- RedLine
Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer --- Yellow Line
( That what all looks like to me anyway )

Looks like you have a shelf full of quality stuff there mister !!!!

Two Guns you have eyes like a hawk, your buddies must love hunting with you.

Kanook

Pepr, I have a Husky340 not a 370 ,must have hit the wrong key. It is old and faded but still cranks by the 3rd pull. I don't like the Poulans I have in the past neither but they are a different animal than the Husky of mine. maybe it's just collie luck with my good one but God has cast many blessings on me, like the time a piece of tree flipped up and hit me in the head- looked like a half orange on my temple for a while. Anyway, It works for me for what little I do. The bil has a Stihl farm boss that is ancient and was a great saw till the parts couldn't be found. Now he has a new Stihl farm boss I think it was $700+ . They make different grades on many of these saws so it is a good idea to do a lot of research . That is for sure. bordercollie

I have the same saw (Husky 340)..Just bought a new chain for it this morning..old one all sharpened out. Best little saw I ever owned. Always starts on the 2nd pull. Store it for months at a time and it always starts when needed. Currently working through a load of oak, ash and maple.