2006 RTV900 dump bed not working

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Excuse me, never claimed to be a wanna be expert about anything on here. Nor do I just argue for the sake of it. It's what makes this place the great place that it is. If trying to help someone is room for put downs then join the other couple of folks on here that play that game.................Now, gonna drink my morning coffee......

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Hey sorry D&D I did not realize you would take offense to that. I am sure if you disconnect the hose going to the cylinder and put a pressure gauge on it and operate the valve you would have a pressure reading that could be useful. I guess my point is you could pin prick a garden hose and get tons of pressure but not enough gpm to wash your truck.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I am not out to argue with ANYONE.............What I know, is that Messick's technician, a well known place where MANY of the folks on here recognize for their knowledge and helpful attitude, advised me to get a pressure gauge, flow meter, made for hydraulic use, to measure how much pressure was being produced and going through the various parts of my hydraulic fork system on my tractor.........NOW, NOT BEING SOME TECHNICIAN; but using his advice, I measured the control valve, pump, and input output hoses of my hydraulic system on my tractor to adjust how much lift I could get from my bucket.........I was able to use the gauge to measure EXACTLY how much pressure the system developed on each component and add the proper shim to raise the left capability without endangering the system seals or components.

NOW, I am pretty sure, that the concept is exactly the same when trying to figure out how much our dump beds can lift..........I am just an amateur though and I don't sleep at a Holiday Inn every night..........so tell us Mr. Assassin how would YOU measure how much the hydraulic system of an RTV should lift/work?????????????????

ovrszd

Hey sorry D&D I did not realize you would take offense to that. I am sure if you disconnect the hose going to the cylinder and put a pressure gauge on it and operate the valve you would have a pressure reading that could be useful. I guess my point is you could pin prick a garden hose and get tons of pressure but not enough gpm to wash your truck.

Don't worry about it, you can be on the list I'm on.....

I agree. Although, a pressure test on either of the quick couplers would let us know if the pump even has the ability to build pressure.

The amount of flow required to lift the bed is totally dependent on how much speed you want.

When the valve is in the neutral position the pump is creating no pressure. All it's doing is flowing. Pressure is only created when the pump pushes against a closed circuit. If you move the bed lever to the "raise" position and the cylinder extends to it's limit and you continue to hold the lever you will hear the PRV open.

So I agree with your analysis. We haven't completely ruled out pump problems yet. But we are getting closer.

I believe if the valve is disassembled you'll find the valve plunger has no O-rings. It's a simple metal assembly that slides thru the metal hole in the valve body. In this process it directs the pump flow to various ports.

I guess I'd try disassembling the valve and checking the PRV. It might have completely failed and is allowing the fluid to simply return to tank without creating any pressure??

I certainly wouldn't buy an $800 valve without investigating farther. Maybe remove the valve and disassemble it as far as you feel comfortable doing and take it to a hydraulic expert that you trust to look it over??

Going back to the pump, I've experienced a pump destroyed by pushing against a PRV and overheating. As I said earlier, when disassembled all I saw was scoring in the pump case at the ends of the gears. Looked fine. Wouldn't create any pressure.

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this problem.

This is also a very good thread that hopefully reaches a conclusion. It will be valued in the archives of this forum.

ovrszd

I am not out to argue with ANYONE.............What I know, is that Messick's technician, a well known place where MANY of the folks on here recognize for their knowledge and helpful attitude, advised me to get a pressure gauge, flow meter, made for hydraulic use, to measure how much pressure was being produced and going through the various parts of my hydraulic fork system on my tractor.........NOW, NOT BEING SOME TECHNICIAN; but using his advice, I measured the control valve, pump, and input output hoses of my hydraulic system on my tractor to adjust how much lift I could get from my bucket.........I was able to use the gauge to measure EXACTLY how much pressure the system developed on each component and add the proper shim to raise the left capability without endangering the system seals or components.

NOW, I am pretty sure, that the concept is exactly the same when trying to figure out how much our dump beds can lift..........I am just an amateur though and I don't sleep at a Holiday Inn every night..........so tell us Mr. Assassin how would YOU measure how much the hydraulic system of an RTV should lift/work?????????????????

A pressure gauge can safely be placed into the system anywhere that's also protected by a PRV. So in your tests your pump created pressure to the gauge at whatever psi the PRV allowed. You were then able to adjust the PRV by adding/removing shims to adjust to your needs.

In the RTV's case you don't want to attach the pressure gauge directly to the output of the pump because there is no PRV involved. You risk creating hazardous pressure levels that might cause gauge failure or fitting failure and serious injury.

In this particular case you might prove the pump doesn't have the ability to create pressure, if it's the problem, but you are doing it at considerable risk.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter

I am pretty sure that is almost exactly what I said "advised me to get a pressure gauge, flow meter, made for hydraulic use" heavy emphasis on "flow meter"

this :agree: does not align with your earlier statement (below)... and the link you pasted is not photos of "pressure gauge, flow meter, made for hydraulic use"

"It's totally easy to hook a guage up to the pump, hose, or valve..........Then you KNOW what pressures you are getting VS what you are supposed to have......

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...uage&FORM=IGRE

I apologized and let it go I dont know why you didnt accept and move on like a gentleman... :elephantRear:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just taking a stab in the dark here but isn't the power steering powered by the same pump?

I know that my 05 has it's own power steering reservoir that is a pain to get to down in the front end, just as the bed hydro has a separate tank. Two different pumps???

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I don't know the only reason I ask is because I was just dumping and while holding the lever it was hard to steer

ovrszd

I don't know the only reason I ask is because I was just dumping and while holding the lever it was hard to steer

I can't answer that for sure. Never investigated that. Have no idea where the steering gets it's power.

Looking at the bed lift pump and/or bed lift valve, I see no hose disappearing into the distance as would be required to go forward and power the steering.

I'll investigate that in my WSM.

If they do share a pump, then we would know the pump is good if the hydraulic steering is good.

If anyone has a WSM study the hydraulics diagrams and this will be easily answered. :)

ovrszd

My WSM manual shows the hydraulic steering getting it's pressure from the HVT system. Shows a pressure line coming out of the HVT assembly, going to the controller, returning back to the reservoir under the seat.

This would indicate it's separate from the bed lift.

I'll gladly listen to any other solution. :)

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
WOW OVERSIZED.....YOU ARE A MODERATOR.....WITHOUT EVER BEING A SITE SUPPORTER ......with NEVER OR SELDOM THANKING ANYONE......BY knowing everything I guess...................

As you quoted me above I dropped the subject of the pressure gauge after I show Mr. Assasin that the site I posted was totally about pressure gauges....and advised him that I don't appreciate rudeness on here........
I think that is what get your goat....this all started a while back with you when you were giving out copyright material on here and bragging about how great you are.....when I corrected you IN PRIVATE that we didn't do that on here you got all bent out of shape and started being rude out in public..........
NOW you are correcting folks that we don't do copyright and while you still know everything............
As you quote above I told Mr. Assasin that I was outta here about the subject.........Then you cant stand it because I advised that the power steering has a separate reservoir along with the bed........NO I didn't run my mouth about a pump in fact I asked a question.........So........Go sort some mail and Know what you are talking about for a change............

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter

For the sake of argument you appear to be arguing with Richard... sorry just can't help myself :beer:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I sure miss folks that were once here. It is what made it wonderful and is fading away as birds of a feather flock in here to bully and shove their way into control. What was once God's little place for folks to help one another is now an ego centric pool of sepsis.

When it returns to information exchange instead of belittlement I will truly welcome it.........God bless ..........Dennis

ovrszd

If you've ever read the Kubota WSM you understand that sometimes they aren't very specific. In the study of how to troubleshoot the bed lift system that seems to be the case.

Here's a pic of a page describing how to check the system for pump pressure. They don't go into any detail about how to hook the gauge into the system. "Appears" that they simply plug it inline into the quick couplers going to the lift cylinder??

Anyway, hopefully this pic is clear enough for you to read all the fine print of how to do the check.

Attachments

• 20170309_095020 (1280x720).jpg
    20170309_095020 (1280x720).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 49

ovrszd

Here's a diagram of the control valve and specifically the pressure relief valve. It clearly shows the position of the shim referred to in the earlier pic. Would require a visit to your dealer to obtain the necessary shims for adjustment.

Attachments

• 20170309_095036 (1280x720).jpg
    20170309_095036 (1280x720).jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 49