Fuel Pump???

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
From the "Seafoam" Thread a while back:

Hey and glad this has been brought up.............My RTV 900, 05 vintage, has had some kind of fuel problem for a year now. Perhaps 400 to 500 hours...........

With a load, going up hill or a grade it looses power in cylinders. The hill is 15 to 20 degrees and 600 yards or so. It may begin on a simple 4 or 5 degree grade; but usually on the steeper hills. Usually, the engine needs to be very warmed up to hot and the weight of the load may be just the driver or up to perhaps 1000 pounds of feed. The road surface can be gravel or asphalt. The transmission will be in 2 wheel drive and in high with the throttle at 3/4 to max.

The problem is totally intermittent!!! One will be cruising along at max power with the throttle backed off just a hair so that the pump is doing it's full power trick. Suddenly one will lose what seems to be all of the cylinders. If you back off the throttle just right you will get back one cylinder before the engine dies, then as you nurse the throttle for a few seconds you will gain the second cylinder and then in a bit the third. As you are doing this you have moved from high to neutral so you can work the throttle without putting pressure on the situation by engaging the transmission.
This may happen 3 or 4 times in the 600 yards or so of the 15 degree hill, or it may happen just once. Rarely, the engine will just die altogether; but if you don't "play" with the throttle just right it will...........As you go up one way/direction you will crest the hill and take a left, go perhaps 100 yards, and then take another 90 degree left.......If you have been having trouble coming up that hill, as you make the first left you WILL ALWAYS...ALWAYS, have trouble on the flat there making that left and then again when you make the second left. Again, these turns are sharp but on the flat..........

When it first started doing this we changed the fuel filter and then subsequently twice more since then in the last year and a few hundred or so hours in between. Nothing visible in the filter such as water or debris..........
We then drained the tank, twice now, and dried it out by putting a fan down in the tank for a day or two. We changed the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump and between the fuel pump and the injector pump............
What has worked the best for stopping it is LUCAS FUEL TREATMENT AND THE CETANE PRODUCTS. Lucas has worked the best for keeping it in check.
We changed suppliers twice. Have left off the fuel cap thinking that there is a vacuum being created by going up the 300 feet in elevation.

The problem is better/diminished in the winter/fall and when you have a full to 1/2 tank of fuel.......

So......Hadn't used any fuel treatment in a month or so as the problem had gone away for awhile; but slowly reemerged/came back, until now it is full blown happening most every time you go up the steep side of the hill...............So, today, I put in some Lucas, perhaps 4 oz in the half tank of fuel that is in there.........ITS GONE!!!.....now watch, it will come back full force; but for today, it was better.........

So, after reading all of this......THANKS FOR READING......I was thinking it was the fuel pump and was ready to replace that; but now with adding the Lucas and it getting better I am wondering what in the world that is fuel related that could be causing this???????

Would Sea Foam have better results than Lucas Fuel Treatment?????

What could be causing this.......????????????????

THANKS FOR READING AND THINKING ABOUT WHAT THIS COULD BE.......

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OK.......So the suggestions came down to yes, it could be a need for Cetane/Seafoam but doubtful.......

Instead the thought is to try an electric fuel pump to see if the fuel pump itself could be the problem.......

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Jiale-Universal-Electric-ELECTRIC-DIESSEL/dp/B00YMIYSH2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00[/ame]

I have this one coming tomorrow from Amazon and am wondering a couple of questions:

Can I just leave the "old one" in place, remove the fuel lines, and hook up those fuel lines to the electric. Yes, of course; but will this cause any kind of problem for the "dry" fuel pump????????

Would it be better to "T" the two fuel pumps together and use the new one as a supplemental pump for the old pump??????

Would it be better to run the line from the gas tank into the new pump and then run this to the "old" pump????????

Thanks Guys for the time and thoughts.......God bless....Dennis

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If it were me, I would bypass the old one in case it has issues as far as blockage etc.. but I will let those that know more about this give a firmer answer. Best wishes Dennis. :tiphat: ( (going in the am to Ark for a couple of days to work on the home place but will check on ya when I get back) collie

muffler man

dennis- what judy suggested is correct . There shouldn't be any damage to the old pump by letting it run dry for a while. make sure you get a low pressure electric pump and your test should work. let us know how it works out.

Bill

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ok........Got the electric fuel pump and am going to take the in and out hoses from the old fuel pump and let it run "dry"...........If I have to run new hoses because of the length and where I have to mount the electric pump I will just save the old ones for when and if I go back to a stock pump.............

NOW THE QUESTION.......I don't want to run a separate electrical circuit from the fuse panel with a switch to turn it of and on. Knowing me, I will forget and leave it on and run the battery down or cause problems with the pump being pressurized. Instead I just want to hook into an existing "hot" connection somewhere that comes on with the key........Any ideas back in the engine "bay" where a connection/circuit that comes on when the key is turned on might be????????..........thanks for the thoughts and help.......God bless....Dennis

TaylorMade

use a test light grounded to battery and probe both sides of the fuses ( the little silver area on top) without the key on mark the ones that light on both sides, and repeat with key on for the rest to ensure you actually have a live circuit and not a blown fuse. ( Hint, this is a fast check to find a blown fuse without pulling each fuse and looking at the "window" indicator.)

TaylorMade

Also, I have an '04 myself, I can look when I run by the barn to see where mine is hooked into and let you know . It will be 2 hrs or so.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Over on the right side, passenger, on the frame is an accessory plug. Thanks TAYLORMADE..........I checked the various accessory plugs for voltages and the fuses. This one plug mentioned above comes on when the key is on and it's pretty close to the engine........I will look later for the color of the wiring.......It has blue tape holding it to the frame........

OK>>>>>>>>>>>The plug is the same as the fuel pump......GOTTA BE A GOD THING........and it comes on when one turns on the key.........The wiring in the pump is opposite so I pulled them out and put them back in the plug with the correct polarity and...............WAH FREAKING LAHHHHHH.......THE PUMP WORKS............

So, now just gotta figure out where to put the pump and run the hosing; but the durn electrical is the hard part with running all of the wires and such.........and.......GOD PUT THE PLUG RIGHT WHERE I NEED IT AND IT WORKS...........Thanks to ALL.......Dennis

TaylorMade

mine has a clamp type ring that mounts to the frame just rearward of the fuel filter probably right below the connector you found. If I remember correctly it is mid way of the engine.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhhh that is a good idea.....one can easily use a large hose clamp or two to attach it to the frame and NOT have to worry about bolting........THANKS....God bless....Dennis

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For anyone that has a power loss and an engine miss...........get a $15 electric fuel pump and hook it up instead of the "stock" one..........HUGE POWER difference and is now "peppy" at the throttle......Golly, can spin my tires in gravel and the thing is not dying nor running on one or two cylindrs..........Thanks for all the thoughts and help folks.......God bless.....Dennis

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great thread guys. Congrats Dennis.
This thread has been made a sticky. :D

10-e-c-dirt

x900 Fuel Pump

I have noticed on my 2014 X900, that every time the fuel gauge shows less than a half a tank, and after it sets over night or 2 - 3 hours, the first 5 seconds or so of idling are Very Rough, then it smooths out...Bet a electric would fix that....

muffler man

bet it would too. the factory fuel pump is very low pressure to begin with. must be why they put such a small fuel filter on it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea. me too. I know that an aftermarket cooling fan (flex a lite) I put on on '05 rtv was a great improvement too. In fact, I have already bought one to put on my current RTV when I get time.( a fraction of the oem price still) collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Probably put about an hour an the engine now and NO stalls, putt putts,or slowing down........NOT saying the old fuel pump was the problem; but on my hills I am getting POWER all the way up rather than just chugging along and getting there.........Even if this proves to be the "fix" for the old fuel pump.......NOT going to go back to stock. I can see that this electric $15 fuel pump may not be the long lasting fix; but for the power and smoooothness of the engine now, I can easily carry a spare and plug it in in perhaps 5 minutes........

Will let you know if there are problems........God is good....Dennis