Loaded tires froze !

BigAl

This sucks ! My loaded tires froze on the rear of my DK45 ! It was about 20 below when it happened . I wonder if I took it down to the tire shop , if they could just add CC to take the freeze level to a higher point!

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Al, you know that will eat your rims don't you? They may have to thaw them out a bit.

Red Beard

Never heard of that happening! Around here they have a tub of water with some dry? chloride in it, keep adding until it reaches the saturation point and we have chloride on the bottom, undisolved. Pump out the liquid from the top and start over. Ohio is right about the corrosion. Beet juice is a lot nicer to use and it won't mess up your air gauge, valve core or rim! :)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never seen tires freeze with CC. What were the symptoms? Rough ride, off balance?

Never heard of that happening! Around here they have a tub of water with some dry? chloride in it, keep adding until it reaches the saturation point and we have chloride on the bottom, undisolved. Pump out the liquid from the top and start over. Ohio is right about the corrosion. Beet juice is a lot nicer to use and it won't mess up your air gauge, valve core or rim! :)
I had to replace the rims on my tractor at 14 years because the CC ate the rims at the valve core. I used beet juice in the new rims...

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It may be heavier. It's 30% heavier then water. Freeze point is -35 to -50.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wish we could get Rimguard (beet juice) here. Several years ago I looked around and there weren't any dealers. Apparently there's no market for it because most of the major ag regions see temperatures down into the +20's only a few times per decade.

I followed local custom and filled with plain water. My neighbor said back in the days of narrow tall tires they used calcium chloride except nobody ever heard of that 'fancy' name, they called it 'lead'.