Tailgate for RTV 900, new member

caldwellrtv

Hello, I have just purchased my 900 and joined your forum. Looks like lots of good info and experience here. I have learned a lot already. Mine came without a tailgate and am wondering if anyone has a lead on a used one or where the best place to buy a new one might be. I searched your forum, but nothing very current. Also, I am trying to figure out what year mine is. Is there a marking on the machine I am not seeing? As clues, my serial # is 51523. It has a Curtis cab, speedometer, 1 1/4 hitch, manual dump. Finally, what are your thoughts on these valves that allow the machine to coast instead of stop when letting off the gas? Thanks for your input. Caldwell

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your RTV!

Can't help with the tailgate. :(

Your RTV's VIN will tell you the year. VIN is on frame, above the battery. It's going to be something like KRTV900A51051523. Where I underlined the 5, that's the year. I'm thinking it's probably a 2005 or 2006.

As for the "coast valve", there's 3 options.
1. Get used to that abrupt stop. You'll get more comfortable with it and with practice, it won't stop as hard. I live in hilly terrain and with the current valve, you get good engine braking.
2. As I recall, somewhere on the forum, there's instructions on how to adjust it so it's not so abrupt.
3. Get the coast valve. It pretty much removes the engine braking. I tried one and didn't care for it because I do like the engine braking.

caldwellrtv

Thanks. One issue solved. It appears to be an '06, based upon your vin decoding. Also, thanks for the experience with the coasting. I will try to get used to it for now and postpone doing anything with it for a while.

razerface

does the 1100 ser number work the same way?

I think I would build a tailgate. Kubota is expensive and most tailgates I see are beat up badly on old machines,,so I doubt many are for sale in good shape,,,not to mention I think they are kinda weak in stock form.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome to Net Tractor Talk aka Net RTV Talk. :thumb:

I can't help with the tailgate either but when I was shopping for a used one I saw a couple with home make tailgates.

I bought an 06 and the serial number on it is 56240, so I would guess yours is an 05 or early 06 model.

Brian nailed it on the coast valve. After first driving mine i was ready for a coast valve. After reading Brian's wise words I didn't jump so quick. I'm getting better at letting off the pedal easy, and I do like the braking at times. I might eventually go coast valve but for now I'm going to give it a go as designed since I have lots of hills, steep hills. :D

razerface

yea, Doc's post reminded me on the coast valve. I have a new 2012 1100,,,which comes from the factory with a "easy" coast valve installed. It will not even hold the rtv on a very slight incline,,which disappointed me. I always have to use emergency brake,,,and sometimes even use the regular brake to stop quicker. I would get used to it before changing as it has advantages, depending on what you are doing.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
does the 1100 ser number work the same way?
Pretty much. Kubota kind of messed up on the VIN's in the early models. They gave them 16 character VIN's. All vehicles are supposed to have 17 character VIN's and this was a problem for those of us that have to get them titled and registered since the State's registration system couldn't accept a 16 character VIN.

Somewhere around 2006 or 07 IIRC they bumped all the VIN's up to 17. Haven't seen a 1100 VIN lately but would guess it to be something like KRTV1100Ax10nnnnn (where x is the year).

BTW - The 10th character of a VIN is the year on all vehicles including cars and trucks. They used the letters of the alphabet for awhile but are back to numbers.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I have directions for adjusting the coast valve. They are too big for the forum so shoot me an email and I will send them to you. Like Zoomer I like mine being set hard as it works good on my steep hills.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Cant help on the coast valve but maybe on the tailgate.pm mei might be able to sneak into the bota dealers lot after hours an get some measurements.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Caldwellrtv:
Welcome to the forum.

I LOVE MY ENGINE BRAKE.
ONce you get used to it. You can't live without it.

I NEVER USE THE BRAKE ON THE MACHINE >>>>

Keep a little pressure on the pedal, and it will roll. Just learn NOT to
snatch your foot off the pedal.

Little bit of practice and in no time, you will have it perfected !!!!

Attachments

• bABY GATOR.jpg
    bABY GATOR.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 69

caldwellrtv

Thanks to everyone for the great responses on the engine brake issue. I will be patient and try to hone my driving skills. I only have about 20 minutes in the machine so far. Peanut may look at trying to solve the tailgate issue. Maybe another sideline for him in addition to the Stick Stoppers. For everyone's info, the current price on a new tailgate is $166.