AMSOIL

XTROOPER

I just changed to AMSOIL in my RTV 1100. For those who are using this product, what are you using for oil change intervals with the AMSOIL? As always, THANKS - XTROOPER

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Firm believer in that Amsoil. Great oil, super grease.

We have been taking oil samples on some trucks down here for awhile.

Everytime we think about changing the oil, send in samples, remarks come back
telling us to run it another 7,000 - 10,000 miles and take another sample.

One truck has 17,000 miles on that oil, and they say keep running it. ( Ford 7.3 diesel )
Chevy Duramax has approx 16,500 miles on that oil, and the Dodge Cummings, has bumping 14,800 on that engine oil.
We changed the Amsoil EA filter right at 14,000 miles, they guarantee the filters
to 15,000 to 25,000 miles.
We have several others, including gas burners. They don't have the miles on thier oil like the diesels, but we send samples out to them also. We use the Oil Analyzers Inc. and the
Blackstone Industries companies for samples. Blackstone sends there sample bottles free.

They give you the Source of Elements in your oil, iron , lead, copper, zinc, Titanium, silver, nickle, etc,... etc ....
.... and , the oil degradation such as soot, oxidation nitration, acid, etc ... etc .>>
Will let you know the physical properties as water, anti-freeze, fuel, Vidscosity, and any solid contaminants that made its way into your oil .....

Attachments

• Swallows Mud Birds Babies.jpg
    Swallows Mud Birds Babies.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 270

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Amsoil is great in motorcycles, and many other pieces of equipment that are around ....

..... two guns

Attachments

• Swallows Mud Birds Babies 2  .jpg
    Swallows Mud Birds Babies 2 .jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 268

doggman

I use Mobil 1 and Synthetic Rotella in some of my equipment. I change the filters on schedule but double oil change interval. IMO Kubota has very short intervals for the lube schedules. I noticed a while back they changed and doubled the intervals on one of the fluids - maybe it was the hydraulic circuit.

@Two Guns - there is a lot of controversy on running synthetics in motorcyles with roller bearing main and rod bearings, and wet clutches (like a Harley). I'm not saying don't do it, just that there is a pro camp and a con camp on the subject. I use petroleum base 70W oil in both my old iron head Harleys but I don't put many miles on them anymore and change the oil every year. The newer HDs use 20-50 which might work better with synthetics. No doubt that synthetics have much better film strength for cold starts.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Copied for another source :

Lets start off by saying that Harley, or any other manufacturer does not make their own oil. I think Harley's oil is made by Sunoco others say it is very similar to Mobil 1.
Do not use oils formulated for cars, not for airplanes, as a matter of fact in the Harley owner's manual they recommend to use DIESEL rated oils (C, C4, etc.) when you cannot find Harley oil.

Just make sure you use an oil with a very high VI (viscosity Index) number >>>>

With the exception of the V-Rod, your Harley has an air cooled engine that does not run as cool as a liquid cooled engine. If you add a passenger and or luggage, your putting more demand on your engine. Motorcycles put different demands on oil and need to be specifically formulated for motorcycle use. Motorcycles tend to sit idle for weeks or even months, especially here in the great white north. Quality motorcycle oil has rust and corrosion inhibitors like zinc and sulfur which help protect your engine.
End Quote....

Agree with you very much on the older Harleys, (and some other older equipment too) . I don't own a HD, they are great machines. Have several 'ole buddies that do. They have told me that that the dealerships down here suggest only two oils in the machines, Harley Davision oil, and the Amsoil. But whatever is used, be sure it is a motorcycle formulated oil.

.... two guns

razerface

old thread revisited----

i called amsoil and they recomend 10-30 for the 2012 rtv1100. I always run 15-40 in diesel. They say the 15-40 marine/diesel is for generally for vehicles made before 2005. They have a "premium" 15-40 that is for new vehicles, and another that he says is for "old stuff"

what you guys using?

OrangeBuggy

I run Amsoil in everything I own. Been using it since the late 70's. Have never had an ounce of trouble with anything. When my 50 hrs. service comes up, Amsoil is going in that little three banger for sure. Just my opinion.

I run amsoil in my B 3030. I run amsoil in my Harley.I have 2003 Honda Goldwing and l was using amsoil in that...until..it was into Honda for recall .We were talkin' bout stuff & the mechanic found out l was using amsoil and he almost past out!! They say amsoil is to slippery for the clutch. My Harley has 3 places for oil.the engine,primary and transmission.Whereas the wing has just one.when you change oil you also change the transmission. They said l could run Honda's synthetic and l would be fine.l just wonder if it's the truth or just smoke to sell Honda oil?