900 winch options

ohiortv

Its time to get a winch. I'm going to be dragging logs with it so I will spring for the biggest one I can fit on my bota. Do I need to get a mounting plate and what is the general consensus on winches?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ramsey and Warn are the primary name brands for quality winches.

Haven't looked at the new ones but the 3000# fit in the cubby hole that's built in.

My 3000# Ramsey will drag my RTV with the emer brake on and foot pushing on the brake pedal.

Since you're dragging logs, I'd recommend getting the wireless remote. This will allow you to be next to the log with a cant hook to avoid snagging.

I'd also suggest getting rid of the steel cable and get some Amsteel rope.

ohiortv

I love the amsteel but I worry about rubbing it on logs and the steel on the trailer.

Do I need to get a mount or does the winch bolt right into the bota "cubby"??

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The winch fits in the cubby and the RTV has the bolt pattern already in place for Warn and Ramsey.

When I'm skidding logs, I use a short logging chain or 6' strap around the logs then connect that to the Amsteel so my winch rope isn't being dragged. I don't drag my logs onto trailers but would think you could pad the rub area.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd try e-bay or Cabela's.

Are you getting one with the wireless remote?

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Ramsey and Warn are the primary name brands for quality winches.

Haven't looked at the new ones but the 3000# fit in the cubby hole that's built in.

My 3000# Ramsey will drag my RTV with the emer brake on and foot pushing on the brake pedal.

Since you're dragging logs, I'd recommend getting the wireless remote. This will allow you to be next to the log with a cant hook to avoid snagging.

I'd also suggest getting rid of the steel cable and get some Amsteel rope.

Great advice, I use one from Harbor Freight but it's for occasional use. For what you describe, buy a good one and set it up like BCZoom says.

Bob