hard to start when cold

belsam

:wave:l have a '14 RTV and noticed it's difficult to start when cold. The unit has @ 30 hrs on it. Once it is warm.......it starts right up. Yes, i do turn the key to the right and let it pause for @ 10 secs before i start it . Help !

rapracing

Are you making sure the glow plug light is on? I can turn mine beyond that point without engaging the starter. I have made a mental note to look at the indicator to be sure.

pop58

I do the same as rapracing. If the glow plug light is no on for the 10 sec then it will be hard to start in the cold.

Tailrotor

Belsam

As mention by the others make sure you look to see the glow plug light is on and lite up on the LED display or it will be hard to start.

When I turn my key I have to go to the first postion and then past that just a bit to make glow plug work or light will not come on.

Good luck Merry Christmas

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Once the light comes on, if still hard starting after 10 seconds, next time try 20 seconds. Each RTV seems to have a sweet spot.

How's your battery? If it's slow cranking the engine, it'll also be hard to start.

Kanook

On my 04 900 I usually only turn the key to the glow plug position and wait for the hour meter to click (usually about 5 seconds) and she always starts. Even in cold temps (and it does get cold here) I doubt if I've ever gone beyond 10 seconds. My block heater quit on me and I just haven't got around to replacing it.

Belsam....what is your definition of cold?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On my 04 900 I usually only turn the key to the glow plug position and wait for the hour meter to click (usually about 5 seconds) and she always starts. Even in cold temps (and it does get cold here) I doubt if I've ever gone beyond 10 seconds. My block heater quit on me and I just haven't got around to replacing it.
Yep, that is exactly what I do. I didn't realize it was the hour meter clicking until I mentioned it on here but once I hear that click I fire her up. works for me & my 06.

Being a 14 model I can't imagine the battery being low.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, with an original battery in my 05, I need to be really careful about the procedure I use to make sure it starts on the first oooomph...........Count to ten just like above with the key turned so the light comes on.......but.......

This was talked about in another thread about "hard to start". I need to set up my idle a bit; but since I started doing this my warm/cold starting problems have disappeared. Just before I turn the key to start I push down the fuel pedal just a bit and hold it there. Perhaps 1/2" does it for me. The thing fires off just as strong as I could ever want.......God bless...Dennis

belsam

l turned the key 'til the glow-plug light comes on.......wait @ 10 sec. and it starts right up.
Good info, did the trick. By the way, i really like this thing. Going to the deerstand in rain/cold is soo nice. Put LEDs on the top.........nice !! l'm spoiled...........again, thxs for ya'lls help. ; )

KubotaYooper

l turned the key 'til the glow-plug light comes on.......wait @ 10 sec. and it starts right up.
Good info, did the trick. By the way, i really like this thing. Going to the deerstand in rain/cold is soo nice. Put LEDs on the top.........nice !! l'm spoiled...........again, thxs for ya'lls help. ; )

I would of probably made up a story but thanks for your honesty.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I would of probably made up a story but thanks for your honesty.

That's what, historically, has made this site so special.............NO BS, bragging on how great or how much you have, cursing, put downs, or making fun of.......Just a bunch of good ol boys/guys sittin around a front porch talkin..........God bless.........Dennis