Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Brand Specific Forums > Kubota RTV Owners Group Forum

Old 08-13-2019, 10:15 PM

lfriddle1 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Differential Cover R

2004 RTV900G Owner bought at auction and said the seal on the right side rear propeller shaft was pouring out transmission fluid. He asked me if I would change it and I agreed taking him at his word. When I started taking it apart I discovered that someone before had changed the propeller shaft and had attempted to screw in the three bolts with an impact wrench. They were totally stripped out. They bolt into the right side diffsupport cover. I ordered one and it is turning into a real bear to get the old one off. Anybody have any experience or advice?
Old 08-14-2019, 07:15 AM

aurthuritis is on a distinguished road

pics would help understand. have you considered helicoil inserts???
lfriddle1 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 AM

Thanked 1,395 Times in 782 Posts
bordercollie is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a rough job. Have you taken the entire section with the "bumper" off to get to it. If so, I'd check the ujoints while I was at it.
If it's like I'm thinking about somebody probably used some heavy duty sealant on it where the inner ujoint area bolts on. There may be some pictures or reference points on the ujoint thread here. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums...archid=4134872 I have used a fine bladed putty knife in such instances, to wiggle under the sealant and break it free.
There are also good diagrams at the Messick's equipment site (one of our sponsors) to see what you have - all you need to do is sign in with an email. Then list the year model of your rtv.
bordercollie
The Following User Says Thank You to bordercollie For This Useful Post:
lfriddle1 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 PM

aurthuritis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordercollie View Post
That sounds like a rough job. Have you taken the entire section with the "bumper" off to get to it. If so, I'd check the ujoints while I was at it.
If it's like I'm thinking about somebody probably used some heavy duty sealant on it where the inner ujoint area bolts on. There may be some pictures or reference points on the ujoint thread here. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums...archid=4134872 I have used a fine bladed putty knife in such instances, to wiggle under the sealant and break it free.
There are also good diagrams at the Messick's equipment site (one of our sponsors) to see what you have - all you need to do is sign in with an email. Then list the year model of your rtv.
bordercollie

Linky no worky!
lfriddle1 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Thank you Aurthuritis, My brain is slow today It's the same old thread that many members have added to about the ujoints. I just thought it might maybe have some useful information. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums...ujoints+needed
Old 08-14-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurthuritis View Post
pics would help understand. have you considered helicoil inserts???
I was a television engineer before I retired and have no mechanical experience, just time to spare now. I have never heard of helicoil inserts. What are they and where do I get them. It is too late now though. I have the diff cover started apart about 1/4 inch gap all around but can't get it to come out any farther. Another 1/4 inch and the flange would be clear and it should slide right out. I don't see anything in the diagram that would keep it from coming out with the brake lever still attached. I have a service manual that just says pull it out, and the messicks parts diagrams. The part I am talking about is in the transmission section and is part #85 on drawing D4200. The sealant on it was factory. The goober didn't use anything on the propeller shaft seal cover. It still had the broken remains of the old seal. Reusing that will be no problem.
Everything else looks and feels good although I went ahead and replaced the seal and bearing while I had the shaft off. U Joints look and feel good. Removed the axel support and then when I started having problems I removed the shock and spring to give me more room.

I appreciate everybody's comments I have received.
The Following User Says Thank You to lfriddle1 For This Useful Post:
bordercollie (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 PM

Thank you for turning me on to helicoil. I looked it up on youtube and wondered "Where have you been all my life!" SO, now on to plan B (C or D, as it changes so fast!). I used blue permatex RTV and stuffed it into the 1/4 inch gap I had opened up. Then I put all the bolts back in and tightened them up until the case went back together. An hour later I went back and torqued them to 14 ft/lbs. So far so good. Then I drove the 35 miles to my nearest auto parts dealer and they had the helicoil kit in stock that I needed. I came back and drilled out the three holes with the size bit the instructions said to use. I then started to tap the holes and immediately started having problems with the pot aluminum giving way as I tried tap it. I think using a smaller drill bit than specified on this stuff may be a good idea. I was getting frustrated so stopped for today before I totally messed it up. I'll continue again tomorrow and hope the helicoil will go in like it should. Thank you again everyone for the suggestion.
The Following User Says Thank You to lfriddle1 For This Useful Post:
bordercollie (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Well, starting fresh always seemed to help me ( I also say a prayer) .
I looked at the part diagram you spoke of at Messicks and was fortunate that I never had to remove that particular piece. I just remember having to adjust the gears inside as I pushed in the shaft- sorta like a combination safe. Push and turn push and turn both ways It slowly went in though. Here's the link from Messicks. for others to see what you are doing. hopefully it still works.
https://www.messicks.com/ku/86216?se...agramId=448035 Gotta love this dealer..
Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM

I was looking for the old boot replacement thread and saw this on replacing a broken plug . look at post in Sept of 2015 for how this fellow named David did it for a drain . http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums...ht=front+boots