2840 steering linkage

smokey911

Newbie here just picked up a jd 2840 with a tas 500 fel, runs good but I'm trying to fix a oil leak at the steering linkage oil seal, I'm down to trying to get the steering shaft off the steering shaft arm. I have the steering shaft cover off and everything out of the way but I can't get the shaft out to change the oil seal, I haven't tried to force it are anything, soaking it in oil now to try and make it easier to get out, that's the question should I try forcing out are hammering it out. all help is appreciated THANKS

jd110

Is #8 the seal you are trying to replace? If so, and you have off cover #1 and pin #4 removed, the only other thing holding it is the cast arm #9. Remove Bolt and washer#10 and 11. The shaft and the arm has tapered splines. They get very tight. I usually find a long 5/8" bolt, maybe 10 inches long to screw into the shaft where the retaining bolt came out. Then take a sledge hammer and smack the bolt a few good shots. It should pop loose.

One thing I forgot to mention, after removing pin #4, turn the steering wheel to the right to raise the connecting rod from te steering valve.

Attachments

• L59025_________UN01JAN94.jpg
    L59025_________UN01JAN94.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 25

smokey911

Thanks jd110 that was what I was needing to know and that is the oil seal I'm trying to replace and I have turned the steering to raise the connecting rod, appreciate the info thanks