RTV front strut replacement.

Fitch

I needed to change the front struts on my RTV. Found the HD set on sale for half off the price of the regular ones, so bought them. I swapped the springs to put the old standard springs on the new struts because we don't have any front end attachments and didn't need the stiffer ride. I only bought the HD struts because they were almost $250.00 less expensive but still Kubota parts..

A couple of things possibly of interest:

First, this time I got smart and parked the RTV right on the edge of my equipment trailer so I was able to do most of the work sitting on a stool or the trailer like it was a chair. A lot more comfortable for a 75 year old body that seems to have been reduced in flexibility. : )

The second thing that might be of use was the improvised tool for pushing the struts out of the knuckle casting. They've been corroding in that socket since 2004 and were well and truly stuck. I didn't want to pound on the knuckle casting - I suspect the price of that thing would be a major shock.

I found a 9/16" Grade 9 bolt and nut that fit nicely into 1/2" pipe. So I cut some lengths to make a progressive jack and the result shows in the picture. I started with the bolt sitting on the lower A-arm to spread the load at least a little off the knuckle, but once it moved it was a lot easier to push with it where It's shown in the picture. Also, note that it's almost all the way out in the picture.

Once the struts were replaced and the toe in set, the RTV drives as good as, maybe better than new. Now it's time to put it back to work.

Hope you are all fine. I haven't been back here lately because everything's been working. The RTV is up to 2,629 hours.

Fitch

Attachments

• IMG_2698 - RS.jpg
    IMG_2698 - RS.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2700 - RS.jpg
    IMG_2700 - RS.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 44