CK25 Power Loss

PRA

First time I've ever had an issue with my Kioti in the 7 years I've had it. Under a load, and only sometimes, the engine will stutter and rpm's will drop. Today I filled the fuel tank and noticed that the filter bowl was almost empty. I started it up and could see the fuel slowly running in...but not enough to fill the bowl. Should I pull the tank to see if the pick up is clogged? I can't see any pinched lines....

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Your symptoms do sound like a lack of fuel. Pulling the tank can become quite a chore. You may have to pull the hood, dash board...

Is there any in-line filters between the tank and the bowl? When I had the same symptoms you're experiencing, it was a dirty filter.

Since it is still running, you may want to try a diesel fuel cleaner/additive to see if that helps some.

PRA

No filters in between the tank and the bowl. Ive been using Seafoam but it doesnt help. Which leads me to believe its either a clogged pick up or maybe a clogged tank breather line...if there is one. I am going to try opening the fuel filler cap next time it starts acting up. Ill post the results.

urednecku

Welcome to forum.
Opening the cap will tell ya if the breather is clogged. If not, I'd next check the 'rubber' fuel lines, sometimes with age they will deteriorate on the inside, letting chunks clog fittings, or maybe just collapse. Another possibility is some kinda trash floating around the fuel tank & getting sucked over the inlet to the fuel line.
Hope it's something simple. Keep us informed.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can you take a compressor and blow air from the filter backwards into the tank? Not a permanent fix but it could answer some questions.

PRA

I plan on trying to get the tractor to the garage later today...that's where the compressor and all the tools are vice out in the woods where it died. I'll try blowing air back through to the tank with the cap off to see what floats. I'll also work backwards from the bowl toward the tank to see if a line has collapsed and check the cutout valve at the bowl.

Good advice. I'll keep you posted.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd keep the gas cap on when you're blowing the air through. BTW, if it floats, it probably wouldn't have gotten to the bottom of the tank to form the obstruction.

A couple other things I'd do before tearing into it much.
Get a few small clear glass jars and a syphon.
Before moving or starting the tractor, syphon off some fuel from the bottom of the tank.
After you blow some air through, do another sample.

If any samples are cloudy or have debris, you'll need to drain the tank. If you're going to drain, I'd stir the crap out of it first to get as much floating as possible.

Is there any rust on the inside of the fuel cap or if you put a finger inside the tank and run it across the top inside of the tank?

PRA

Roger all of that.
No rust...the tank is some type of synthetic. I'm going to jump on the issue tonight after work. I got the tractor up to the shop where it sat all night. I'll try the syphon before I do anything.

PRA

okay soooo....pulled the hood then pulled the line from the tank to the filter. The filter bowl had 3/4" of fuel. Fuel just barely running out. Removed the filler cap to see if there was a vacuum issue. No change in flow. Ran about a 1/2 " into a glass jar. Took the air hose and applied a little air into the hose. The fuel level rose in the tank up the filler neck...but no bubbles. Then let the tank drain for about 30 minutes. Only got about 2 cups in the bucket. Fuel flow stopped. Then applied more air into the hose. That time you could hear and see bubbles. Pushed air for about 15 seconds. Re-attached the hose and started the tractor. Let it idle for 10 minutes then increased the RPMs to 3,000 and let it run high for about 10 minutes. The level in the bowl didn't change. Drove it out to the field and started bush hogging. 5 minutes in the tractor just started shutting down and the bowl was dry. Tomorrow I'm going to disconnect the feed line from the tank and blow through the hose. If nothing is clogging it I'll apply air to the connector at the tank and see what happens. Not sure what else to do at this point.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Took the air hose and applied a little air into the hose. The fuel level rose in the tank up the filler neck...but no bubbles.
That's really weird. The fuel level rose inside the tank when you applied air?

It almost sounds like there's a bladder in there and when you blew air up into the tank, it put air around the bladder and compressed it to make the fuel rise.

How does the fuel look? Clear?

PRA

CORRECTION to POST: working in the dark with limited light is never ideal...the line I was applying air to was the pressure relief line vice the fuel feed line. I located some CK20 schematics on a French website last night which really help put lines and placement in perspective. Not the same exact model but close enough.
Later today I'll pull off the puke can so I can get to the fuel feed line and check that. Of note is that the pressure relief line seems to be feeding fuel to the tractor...I'm pretty sure that's not how it was designed.
Fuel was clean...no water and no junk. Of course I was applying air to the upper part of the tank.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Be careful what you put that air hose to... ;) Wouldn't want anyone or anything getting hurt.
Clear fuel is a good sign.
Let's see what happens when you blow air through the real fuel line.

BTW, ever float a screwdriver in the air with your compressor blowing air? Cool trick. You'll always win the bet with those that say you can't do it. First thing I taught my kids with the compressor (besides a little safety).

Found a youtube example but there's others. Just enter "float screwdriver with compressor" in youtube for more.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPdeISV_VHo[/ame]

PRA

RESOLVED: I pulled the puke can out of the way and disconnected the in bound fuel line from the filter and the pump. Blew it out. Disconnected the tank to pump line and the fuel was flowing freely. Removed the filter bowl opened the valve and blew air through the valve from the filter side. Reconnected all the lines and the fuel flows unrestricted. The obstruction must have been in the cut off valve area. I bush hogged for an hour and had zero issues.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad you got it fixed!

Now go get yourself a Mr. Funnel so you don't get debris in the future. ;)