center PTO problem

John S

We installed a center PTO on my TC30. Tested and used after installation, running snow blower. Now I can't get it out of gear. Removed snow blower and PTO shaft and jumped the safety switch so I can use tractor for other things. Any ideas what went wrong or what I did wrong (followed instructions during installation). THanks, John

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
John, I don't think I can solve the problem but it sounds like something is in a bind. Guess you will have to take it back apart and see what is going on. Don't you just love things that work out like that! Let us know what it ends up being. Guess you are talking about a pto like to run a belly mower. :sorry:

John S

Yup, same PTO as belly mower. I'm thinking we'll wait for the weather to warm up a bit here in the great north east, before we rip it apart again. Just thought someone might have been there, to give me some insight as to what to look for.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a TO-30 years ago and although never even considered it, I didn't even know a mid-PTO was available. I thought on the old tractors you bought a gear box that takes your rear PTO and turned it around pointing forward under the tractor.

John S

I had a TO-30 years ago and although never even considered it, I didn't even know a mid-PTO was available. I thought on the old tractors you bought a gear box that takes your rear PTO and turned it around pointing forward under the tractor.

Probably wasn't available (center PTO) 30 years ago. Mine is a New Holland TC 30, it's about 6 years old with about 500 hours on it. Sometimes I think I should go back to the simpler tractors of yore. Then I take my 9N Ford for a spin, nope, I would miss the live PTO and power steering too much.

John S

Thanks guys, just got the shop manual out so I can read up on this a bit. It'll be a few weeks, waiting for time and weather to clear, before we dig into this. Will let you know what we find. John