x900 rtv

Has anyone seen the cast bracket alum.break off the pump due to the exhaust pipe broken? Just got one in the shop broke the bracket and took a chunk of alum. leaving hole in the top of the case..

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Rod and welcome to our forums. This was posted in teh Kubota Tractor forum. I'm moving the post to the RTV forum so you'll get more views and hopefully an answer.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a RTV X900 and the cast aluminum bracket for the muffler broke due to vibration fatigue after the exhaust pipe separated from the exhaust manifold. It was the bracket that is closest to to exhaust manifold. It appeared to me that the exhaust pipe was just pressed into the exhaust manifold. No evidence of a welded joint until after it was repaired. After that joint failed I drove it very little but that little bit caused the cast bracket to fail. B

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Bummer. What's the fix it plan?? Got any pictures??
I haven't taken pictures. If I find the time I will. The fix was done under warranty. As soon as the exhaust pipe separated from the manifold I called the dealer and reported it. They were a bit slow at getting back to me in the meantime, in spite of not using it much, the bracket on top of the transmission snapped. I agreed to have them weld the bracket and the exhaust pipe/manifold instead of fighting to have the transmission housing changed out. The person who welded it did a fine job and I suspect it is good or better than original. At least I have it recorded that the repair was done under warranty. There is a thread here that talks of the same separation of the exhaust pipe and manifold.

exhaust repair

:Hi guys, The exhaust flange appears to be pressed on but with the heat a press fitment the pipe would shrink and would fall out without a mechanical connection? This one broke about 1/2 inch behind the flange. I welded it back together and remounted the front muffler mount using 1/4 inch steel and used a different location other than the pump mount area and spool gun the hole shut .Was not fond of welding on the pump or closing up the hole due to polluting the pump.

Mark.Sibole

You would think they would have a design change and covered under warrenty.If this is a common thing id keep a close eye on it. Or look for a way to re enforce the bracket.Sounds like a shitty design but a liberal engeneer to me.

Mark, You hit it perfect on the head the exhaust should not be mounted on a critical part of the driveline. We took some time and drew up a bracket that fits on other parts of the driveline and put it on our cnc plasma cutter to make multipules.Ihave not found what a pump costs but I sure its not cheap. This bracket should be removed and relocated before it breaks the alumium casting. In therory the motor is tied to the pump along with the exhaust but watch it shake at idle.

ovrszd

Mark, You hit it perfect on the head the exhaust should not be mounted on a critical part of the driveline. We took some time and drew up a bracket that fits on other parts of the driveline and put it on our cnc plasma cutter to make multipules.Ihave not found what a pump costs but I sure its not cheap. This bracket should be removed and relocated before it breaks the alumium casting. In therory the motor is tied to the pump along with the exhaust but watch it shake at idle.

I gotta check out my '08 RTV900 to see if it's built the same way??? If so I may be looking for an alternative bracket!!! Thanks for the tips.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Actually the exhaust pipe breaking 1/2" or so after exiting the connector to the head is kind of common in the older models. It is the pipe itself that breaks, not the actual flange/header fitting. Perhaps it is the weld or heating of the exhaust pipe to make the connection gets a bit to hot and makes the metal brittle???...... For me, I have had to weld mine and over the years there have been several folks coe on here talking about the situation. I didn't know that now there is a critical part as part of the casting to the exhaust header flange........God bless.....Dennis

D&D Farm, You are correct about the pipe breaking behind the flange by about a 1/2 inch. The big problem is the first mount on the muffler is mounted to the top of the drive system and the one in our shop took and vibrated so much after the pipe broke that the alumium casting mount with two bolts broke the mount off the top and also a piese in front of it leaving a open hole into the transmission. The mount in the back of the muffler was fine.