Gas line busted = no heat

HeyBob

How deep is that gas line, should be 24", it doesn't sound like it if the squirells are chewing on it.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
In these parts nobody does that but I did, I'm at 30" on a 550 foot run. Twelve inches is the deep around here and people deal with problems all the time.

olcowhand

Had to put in a new septic line at our milk parlor yesterday. The pipe wasn't going but 18" deep next to the parlor. The new line was going to pass through where the telephone line was laid by phone company. Figured just to dig, as telephone line should be way deeper. Wrong! Telephone cable was just 6" deep! I soldered & shrink wrapped individual wires, then shrinked the entire cable. All is well, but sure aggravates me that they say how deep they're gonna put it, then you scratch the ground & rip it in-two.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bullshit, no wonder your having problems. Your probably got lines full of water. Gas comes from the ground mostly saturate with water. It's inevitable that all your lines, regulators and pilots will or are getting water not to mention freezing and potentially closing in cold weather. I would highly recommend one or the other. No your not as cold there but marginally and you still see freezing temperature. You need to get something to keep your lines moisture free! Regulators and water don't mix!
I have a 'Big John' pressure regulator at the well. It has a thing which separates water from the gas. I have a valve that I open occasionally to drain water out of the collector. This must be what I use in place of the other options you mentioned.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How deep is that gas line, should be 24", it doesn't sound like it if the squirells are chewing on it.
No, the line was only buried for the first 100 or so feet from the house. Then it's on top of the ground for the most part. It's been that way 10+ years. I've cut through it a few times with my FEL. :hide: they graded teh road to the well this year and buried some of the gas line under the dirt they pushed to the side. Obviously, that is not very deep at all.
I was upset with the installed who first put the gas line in because I wanted it buried but in the end it still just snakes along the ground. Over the years mother nature has covered and hid it in many parts of the run. But lots of it can still be seen and easy target for the dumb squirrels out there.
Undecided on whether to put out other food for the critters or blow em away.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 'Big John' pressure regulator at the well. It has a thing which separates water from the gas. I have a valve that I open occasionally to drain water out of the collector. This must be what I use in place of the other options you mentioned.

If it's a commercial well it should have a high and low pressure regulator, your moisture collector should be before the HP regulator.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It is a commercial well. And there is one cylinder before the gas outlet for my hookup that I don't know what it is. That must be exactly what it is. I just didn't know it. :pat:

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
No, the line was only buried for the first 100 or so feet from the house. Then it's on top of the ground for the most part. It's been that way 10+ years. I've cut through it a few times with my FEL.

Doc, you're making me very nervous now.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:D The worst time I had a Duh moment and was digging dirt to do road maintenence. I came down hard on it with the FEL. heard a big HISS. Thought I had blown a hydrolic line. But the FEL still worked. then it hit me .....GAS LINE!!!! Moved the tractor away quickly and headed to the well to turn off the gas.
I will say, after that happened I'm not as nervous about the gas leaks. :D

B

bczoom

Undecided on whether to put out other food for the critters or blow em away.
Let me help. One option requires regular feeding maintenance for years. The other requires 50 cents, a little patience and one BANG. If you're lucky, the latter also provides a meal.

urednecku

Let me help. One option requires regular feeding maintenance for years. The other requires 50 cents, a little patience and one BANG. If you're lucky, the latter also provides a meal.

50 cents? .22's are only about 3, fun, and don't mess up as much meat!

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
After 30 years in the oilfield, the one thing that makes me run for my life is some guy saying, "Don't worry, I've done this a hundred times before". :shitHitsFan::shitHitsFan::shitHitsFan:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's finding the right dumb ass squirrel that gnaws on black pipe when food is scarce. Who knows how many I'll have to shoot to be sure I get the varmint. :D
Anyone have some good squirrel recipes?

ETF, you should've seen the well tenders fire up a torch around the gas line. Sure the gas was off at the time. I still commented on it, and they said gas on or off no biggie. :eek: This are some wild ones for sure. They've been doing it for years but still ....like you said, run for your life these guys are crazy!!!!

Erik

It's finding the right dumb ass squirrel that gnaws on black pipe when food is scarce. Who knows how many I'll have to shoot to be sure I get the varmint. :D
Anyone have some good squirrel recipes?

roll in egg then batter with flour/corn meal mix spiced with garlic powder & coarse black pepper, then pan fry like fish or chicken fried steak.
can also drown in cream soup and bake. (cream of mushroom or onion work well)
if too gamy tasting, soak overnight in milk or cheap beer. (this works well for catfish, too)

olcowhand

I quit hunting squirell years ago, but used to put them in the crock pot with BBQ sauce. Tastes great & tender too! Just use your favorite BBQ sauce.
But as said, best to soak overnight first.

B

bczoom

If you don't want to soak overnight to get some gamy taste out, put it in water and bring to a light boil. Let it boil lightly for 20 minutes. Dump the water and repeat, twice. In a little over an hour, you're then ready to cook to desire.

EDIT TO ADD: Works for possum too.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
After 30 years in the oilfield, the one thing that makes me run for my life is some guy saying, "Don't worry, I've done this a hundred times before". :shitHitsFan::shitHitsFan::shitHitsFan:

Gas lines to a home are at .5 psi. I can't tell you how many times I saw tenders go looking for a leak with a propane torch. Yep, they found it by lighting it off .... LOL. Now listen guys, you don't go looking for a leak with a torch near or on a head pressure line. They'll find you a couple counties away with your boots off ................. :yum: