Anyone got a log splitter?

Mith

Just looking for pictures of anyones splitters are thoughts on them.

I'm thinking about building one. Probably a horizontal one with a 2/4 way wedge on the end. Just interested in pros/cons on any of the manufactured units.
Cheers

flaming-ace

We have 2 sorts of log splitter,

A sprial log splitter, shown in this video:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_9tsgLexvSQ (watch in high quality)

And we also have a hydrolic log splitter, and to be honest its ****ing amazing :D

It works soo well, can split logs up to about a metre long and the bigest we've done is about 50cm in diameter. It has its own hydrolic pump that goes on the pto. One ram for the actuall log splitter and another to lift logs onto the splitter.

Mith

Thats pretty similar to what I was thinking of making, What diameter is the splitting ram?

JimR

I have two wood splitters. One is tractor powered and goes on the three point hitch. It is homemade using a four foot piston off a backhoe. It was very simple to make. I even made my own wedge for it. I'll try to find a picture of it. The other one is a "Super Split" logsplitter. It is the fastest splitter in the world. The time cycle is 2 1/2 seconds. Just Google the name to read about it or watch the video. I only use my hydraulic splitter now for very large pieces of wood.

I put this one in an earlier thread.
this will take on 98 percent of anything that grows in north america.

I like the T knife as you get two pieces off the bottom no mater how big the round, and just keep working it down.
for most wood one time through, turn the top piece and once more and 3 mor pieces.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 67

JimR

I put this one in an earlier thread.
this will take on 98 percent of anything that grows in north america.

I like the T knife as you get two pieces off the bottom no mater how big the round, and just keep working it down.
for most wood one time through, turn the top piece and once more and 3 mor pieces.

Nice setup. My splitter is quite similar to yours without that great log lifter. Nice idea for sure.