What's on your agenda?

A little frosty here this morning, but a good day to work outside none the less. I'm headed out in a few to cut up 4 trees that fell over the summer. A BIG ol' silver maple, 2 red oaks, and a hickory. They'll be next winters firewood. Hope the ol' back holds up

What's up for you today?

shinnlinger

I hope to head back to the sawmill and finish up the purlins for my house project....maybe finish up my Steve inspired wing blade if I am real lucky

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm running electric to my pole barn. I've already dug the trench with a ditch witch and now I'm putting in the conduit getting ready for inspection next week.
And, after that it's a major cleanup in the garage. Something I've put off as long as i can. My workbench is stacked high with stuff that needs put away. :hide: But fiest I have to clean off some shefling that has stuff on it that needs gone through ....and I'm transferring tools to a big tool box I picked up. Trying to get em organized and make them easier to find when I need them.

Mith

Just got back from work, going to go out and mow a few lawns while its dry, and then I'm hoping to do a little more work on the backhoe.
I got some parts machines delivered too, need to pull them apart or get the off the lawn anyway :eek:

Shinnlinger, tell me more about your sawmill. Is it a bandmill or a circular saw blade?
Pics would be great too, cheers

Mark777

I've been giving my 'Rake' quite a workout. Yesterday I used it on-and-off all day raking pine straw from the drive, around the houses, trees and yard and went crazy like a arson and set fires to six different piles. Today I hope to finish the job...and make room for the trees to shed anew.

I'd love to say how well I engineered this thing, and all the time I spent planning and building it :whistle: ....but honestly, It was one of those things you just slapped together and Wow, I couldn't have bought one that works better :D .

Dougster

Old Member
What's up for you today?
Got rid of 6 large barrels of leaves this morning... but it hasn't even made a dent! :( One more leaf pickup coming up the first week of December. I think I better forget the barrels and buy a few dozen of those silly 30 gallon paper leaf bags. ;)

I'm one tool short of the tools I need to start my winter projects on the Red Beast. Hopefully, I'll find the tool I'm looking for later today. Then all I'll need is one last part... a key part... that arrived damaged at the dealership late last week and needs to be swapped out for another... IF (and it's a BIG IF) the dealer involved is willing to do it for me. :rolleyes: There's a bit of a "take it or leave it" thing going on with them since it was a special ordered part not ordered through Mahindra. :(

Dougster

JDtoys

We still have about 60 acres of soy beans left to get in so just waiting on the dew and moisture to get off the beans then gonna jump back on the combine. Seems like the seat on that 9600 has been my home for the last month

shinnlinger

Mith,

I have a Turner bandsaw mill. It can cut a 26.5 ft beam from a tree about 30" in diameter. I have cut some 24 ft 12x16's on it.

In the background you can see the red mill head which rolls on a 30ft track. I throw the logs on the railroad tracks with my bucket forks and then roll them on the mill with a Peavey to try to keep the mill level and square.

I then put the finished product on skids on the backside of the mill and throw the slabs either in the dumptruck or on the bucket forks to be thrown in the burn pile for maple syrup. Once a get a decent pile of finished product I use the bucket forks to put them in stickerd piles for drying.

At first I thought I was going to kill myself with all the physical work on the mill, but I am now pretty efficient at it. Today I cut some purlins and then a buddy stopped by and we made some windmill blades for a wind generator on it.

Pretty handy, especially since I have acres of wind toppled 100+ year old pines next door. Should keep me in lumber for some time to come.

Attachments

• DCP A's Birthday Sawmillt.JPG
    DCP A's Birthday Sawmillt.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 239

Mith

Thanks for the pic, if you get the opportunity to grab some closeup pics next time you are using it that would be great too. How does it feed, do you move it along by hand, or is it motorized?

I'm interested in making one to saw unusual woods. I can get my hands on parts of nice trees, acer, walnut, maple etc and I would like to saw them into planks for table tops etc.

Oh the best laid plans of mice and men:snow: I THOUGHT I'd get all the downed trees cut up. NOPE. :forgetit: . Never got started. Seems my son decided to go deer hunting and I just didn't feel like packing all that wood by myself.

SO.

Well, there's 8 acres of pasture that hasn't been mowed in a couple months. Or there WAS 8 acres of pasture that wasn't mowed.:thumb:

Attachments

• Pasture mowing 001.jpg
    Pasture mowing 001.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Pasture mowing 002.jpg
    Pasture mowing 002.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Pasture mowing 003.jpg
    Pasture mowing 003.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 228

shinnlinger

Mith,

I will take some photos of the mill at some point, but I cut the last of what I needed today (I hope) and it was dang cold up there so I may not be up there again for a while. If you are thinking of making your own mill there are lots of internet sources, but you should check out Linn sawmills in oregon as they sell just the roller head if you want it and then you can add your own motor and make your own track as long as you need.

My blade rolls around trailer tires which is nice because it doesn't break blades and you dont need to lubricate the blade with water. I have seen homemade mills with motorcycle tires which is the same idea. High speed bearings and some abilty to take up blade expansion built into the tire and the tread of the tire allows the pitch to not build up.

I was contemplating building my own when this mill fell into my lap hardly used at a great price and able to cut the lenghts I needed. It has worked out well. The blades are only $15 and I get them resharpened for $8, so If I happen to hit an old bullet or something I dont get too worked up about it.

If you want a mill shipped from the states, Norwood sells a mill with the same motor I have (13 horse honda) through Northern Industrial. It is made in New York state and their deal is it can be shipped on one pallet (some assembly required)

Junk man....that is one sweet old ride you have, but what really impresses me is that your not afraid to still use it after your restore

I agree. That antique work of art belongs in a museum! Not out doing everyday chores. :)

Dougster

ANTIQUE:wtf: :notthatway: :bash: That tractor is 24 years YOUNGER than I am:shitHitsFan:

Let's see... It's easier to operate than anything else I own. It's more fuel efficient than anything else I own. It's quieter than anything else I own. It's more comfortable than anything else I own with the possible exception of the 6430 Deere which cost 16-1/2 times as much, so why shouldn't it be? The longer I own it, the more I appreciate it. :applause:

quincy

I think you might have hit a nerve there Dougster :yum: I dont agree with the museum idea though, that machine looks kinda happy in those photos!!!:D

quincy

Agenda for this morning?.. I have some levelling to do after re doing my grey water soakways in my garden a few weeks ago.. I sure wish I had a box blade... Going to have to make do with a few lengths or angle iron and an old railway sleeper. Its a beautiful crisp morning here, a good day to get on with it.

shinnlinger

Quincy,

Is grey water legal in Ireland? It varies from city to city here, but it is almost alway illegal here which is too bad. I plan on running a grey system to the wives garden when I get the house done regardless and hope it never gets noticed. Of course we dont have zoning or building codes or inspecters in my little neck of the woods so I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping it under wraps.

I hope to get some post and beam rafters up today...my buddy brought his crane over yesterday which makes this so much easier(and safer)

Mith,
I missed this on my first reply to you. I have the a "Manual" mill which means I do every thing myself. Roll the log or "cant" on, dog it to the backstop, set the height of the cut, push the blade assembly down the tracks, remove the slab or board, push it back, roll the cant, repeat.

As I said before, it damn near killed me at first, but I stopped being cocky and wrestling the beasts and started using the peavey to turn the cants and taking my time and it has turned out allright. I was also doing some large 25" round logs 25 feet long at one point and that was a bit much by myself. The do make log roller for this purpose made of a boat winch, but I dont have one. I should wrap a rope around the cant and use the FEL to roll cants in the future.

Dougster and Junkfarmer,

I want to be clear here...I don't want to see the Massey in a museum, I want to see it out working...it looks great out there doing what it was intended to do. I have a 1952 GMC dump truck (but no one has suggested it be in a museum) that I run all the time to move slabs, logs, dirt, rocks what have you.

Old Iron still gets it done, it just looks better doing it.

larryRB

are you adding dishwasher, washing machine and other to this grey water system? You should put this into a 3/4 stone (like French drain) heading towards wife's future garden. I did one for neighbor yesterday, 41 ft trench, same in 4" drain pipe, a sock over pipe and 6 1/2 yards of stone.; It should filter the grey water nicely,.

Dougster

Old Member
ANTIQUE:wtf: :notthatway: :bash: That tractor is 24 years YOUNGER than I am:shitHitsFan:

Let's see... It's easier to operate than anything else I own. It's more fuel efficient than anything else I own. It's quieter than anything else I own. It's more comfortable than anything else I own with the possible exception of the 6430 Deere which cost 16-1/2 times as much, so why shouldn't it be? The longer I own it, the more I appreciate it. :applause:
I think you might have hit a nerve there Dougster :yum: I dont agree with the museum idea though, that machine looks kinda happy in those photos!!!:D
Oh brother... I'm already in big trouble!!! :hide: Is this where I start losing those rep points??? :confused:

This illustrates the danger of giving compliments to fine restored antique tractors! :eek: Some older owners aren't aware that their tractors are antiques yet!!! :yankchain:

I believe Junk should change his screen name to the far more appropriate: FarmsWithAntiques !!! :D

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster and Junkfarmer,

I want to be clear here...I don't want to see the Massey in a museum, I want to see it out working...it looks great out there doing what it was intended to do. I have a 1952 GMC dump truck (but no one has suggested it be in a museum) that I run all the time to move slabs, logs, dirt, rocks what have you.

Old Iron still gets it done, it just looks better doing it.
Believe me... I am genuinely impressed that such a magnificent work of art is still in routine service. The museum reference should be taken as a tribute to the fine restoration job... not that it doesn't look fully at home out there in that field! :)

Dougster