Transmission stuck in 4wd

ddziedzic

Newbie has a 07 RTV 900 that was sitting un used in a damp environment for several years. I changed all fluids and filters (used Cenex Hytran) fluid.:pat::pat: It seems to be sluggish, not a lot of power from the tranny. I was able to put it in 4wd with difficulty and that's where it stayed! I removed the cable at the tranny and cable and linkage up front are free. It's stuck in the tranny. I put some pressure on the lever at the tranny and I have no movement either way. I've used it on loose surfaces since thinking it may free up but no such luck. Help Please!
I'm an ole farm boy good with a wrench in the U.P.

Thanks
Dan

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
DDZIEDZIC, first of all I highly recommend draining the transmission fluid and replacing it with quality Kubota UDT or Super UDT and use only Kubota filters for the transmission. The Kubota fluid is not cheap. The use of the Cenco fluid probably is the cause of your unit's sluggishness.

The RTV transmission is a wonderful thing. Very robust but somewhat finicky. Keep in mind that if the transmission fails, you'd better have full deep pockets to pay for the repairs. Therefore, take care of it by providing the best lubrication and filtration.

Read the Operators Manual for your unit. It has tips within the Operating Section for relieving hydraulic pressure to shift through gears and 4-wd. Mine is a 2011 RTV 900 XT that has been modified from the previous versions to reduce (not eliminate) the shifting problems. My manual states when it is difficult to return to 2-wd to stop the vehicle, turn the steering in bolt directions then disengage the 4-wd. This process relieves internal transmission pressure allowing movement of the lever.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Have you checked the front differential? ( it and the oil in the knuckle cases need changing in a regular maintainance program .) The check plug/stick is up in the area where a winch would go .. It's on top of the diff.. As a last resort, maybe disconnect the drive shaft under there and see if it is for sure the trouble is in the transmission.
My '05 had a decal on the dash about shifting. I had to always cut my steering wheel sharply both ways and sometimes back up to get out of 4wd. Good Luck. collie

edit to add that the cheaper fluids will also make the transmission go "wheeea." no joke.

chad450r

Dan I had to remove the cable at the transmission end, rock the unit back and fourth by hand and the lever disengaged. I had discovered the cable was bad it was getting stuck inside the sheath/sleeve on the transmission end. Not saying this is your problem but worth a try. The cable can get bent went hit by a rock or stick, or possible someone forced it before, it will over extend and bind..