RTV900 and Mud

G

<font color="#0000ff">Hello to all of you RTV900 owners. My name is Stan, and I live in Anchor Point, Alaska. My wife and I do a lot of hunting. She currently owns the Polaris Sportsman 6x6 and I am still running around on 4 wheels (Suzuki LT500). I am thinking of upgrading to a UTILITY machine. I have surfed the internet looking at Rangers, Mules, Gators, and the Rhino. Came across the Kubota RTV900. Looks impressive but I am a litle worried about the weight. Any one out there with experience running out in the woods, fields, hills and especially through mud. Would like to hear from you.
Thanks, Stan</font>

G

<font color="#0000ff">Hello to all of you RTV900 owners. My name is Stan, and I live in Anchor Point, Alaska. My wife and I do a lot of hunting. She currently owns the Polaris Sportsman 6x6 and I am still running around on 4 wheels (Suzuki LT500). I am thinking of upgrading to a UTILITY machine. I have surfed the internet looking at Rangers, Mules, Gators, and the Rhino. Came across the Kubota RTV900. Looks impressive but I am a litle worried about the weight. Any one out there with experience running out in the woods, fields, hills and especially through mud. Would like to hear from you.
Thanks, Stan</font>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Stan,

How deep of mud are you expecting to encounter?
You are correct... the RTV is very heavy and therefore will not handle mud as easilyas other machines that weigh several hundred pounds less. If the mud is lets say a foot or less, the RTV with good tires could handle it. I would probably run 589'sfor tires in the mud but they can eat a lawn pretty easily. I found the Maxxis Bighorn tires are a great all-around tire for every terrain. I've taken mine through mud up to the seat cushion and got out but nowavoid those pits as cleaning a UTV is a bit harder than a ATV.

The power steering is fantastic and makes maneuvering easier. The RTV does have a wider turning radius than some of the others so if you have a lot of tight turns you may find yourself doing some 3-point turns. (I would say it's probably about 3-4' wider thanyour LT-500).

As for hills, the RTV (and others) can climb nicely. Not as quickly as your Suzuki but they will do it.

For yourenvironment, a block heater windshield and winch would probably be the first few things to add. If you get the RTV, I'd get a heater for the tranny as well.

I would highly recommend you try to get a demo brought to your place so you can truly get the feel for how any machine would work in your particular environment.

Brian

PS. I hope you're keeping your Suzuki... I know I won't get rid of mine.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Stan,

How deep of mud are you expecting to encounter?
You are correct... the RTV is very heavy and therefore will not handle mud as easilyas other machines that weigh several hundred pounds less. If the mud is lets say a foot or less, the RTV with good tires could handle it. I would probably run 589'sfor tires in the mud but they can eat a lawn pretty easily. I found the Maxxis Bighorn tires are a great all-around tire for every terrain. I've taken mine through mud up to the seat cushion and got out but nowavoid those pits as cleaning a UTV is a bit harder than a ATV.

The power steering is fantastic and makes maneuvering easier. The RTV does have a wider turning radius than some of the others so if you have a lot of tight turns you may find yourself doing some 3-point turns. (I would say it's probably about 3-4' wider thanyour LT-500).

As for hills, the RTV (and others) can climb nicely. Not as quickly as your Suzuki but they will do it.

For yourenvironment, a block heater windshield and winch would probably be the first few things to add. If you get the RTV, I'd get a heater for the tranny as well.

I would highly recommend you try to get a demo brought to your place so you can truly get the feel for how any machine would work in your particular environment.

Brian

PS. I hope you're keeping your Suzuki... I know I won't get rid of mine.

Dargo

Well, the RTV with the Maxxis Bighorns has really impressed me. It has pulled through mud where I was dragging bottom for about 100 yards in a soft muddy field. However, since we got a very rare heavy snow last night, I can tell you that my Yamaha Rhino will go through more snow than the RTV. The 23" of snow on the ground is enough to stop the RTV. It's stuck. However, the Rhino with 27" Bighorns on it blasts right through. I'm going through drifts that are hitting me in the face! It slows and digs, but pulls on through. I think it is a combination of the taller tires, higher ground clearance, and being able to spin the tires much harder that allow the Rhino to pull through. I would venture to guess it would be the same story in deep mud. The RTV will do more than you would think, but the Rhino will go through more.

Dargo

Well, the RTV with the Maxxis Bighorns has really impressed me. It has pulled through mud where I was dragging bottom for about 100 yards in a soft muddy field. However, since we got a very rare heavy snow last night, I can tell you that my Yamaha Rhino will go through more snow than the RTV. The 23" of snow on the ground is enough to stop the RTV. It's stuck. However, the Rhino with 27" Bighorns on it blasts right through. I'm going through drifts that are hitting me in the face! It slows and digs, but pulls on through. I think it is a combination of the taller tires, higher ground clearance, and being able to spin the tires much harder that allow the Rhino to pull through. I would venture to guess it would be the same story in deep mud. The RTV will do more than you would think, but the Rhino will go through more.

Archdean

Hi Stan

Lived in Eagle River for a long time! I just bought mine and one of the reasons was the weight. I'm certain you will like it and of course it's Orange.... So what's not to like?[:D]

Dean

Archdean

Hi Stan

Lived in Eagle River for a long time! I just bought mine and one of the reasons was the weight. I'm certain you will like it and of course it's Orange.... So what's not to like?[:D]

Dean

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dean

Welcome to the forum!

BTW - The next thread is my inquiry about your serial # question on Todd's site. I guess you can look for any response here instead.

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dean

Welcome to the forum!

BTW - The next thread is my inquiry about your serial # question on Todd's site. I guess you can look for any response here instead.

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Archdean"]Thanks BC,
I appreciate your knowledge, helps me sort out all things unknown![/quote]

Dean,

It's not my knowledge for the most part. [:$] I just try to keep track of what others have experienced/encountered. Glad it could help.

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Archdean"]Thanks BC,
I appreciate your knowledge, helps me sort out all things unknown![/quote]

Dean,

It's not my knowledge for the most part. [:$] I just try to keep track of what others have experienced/encountered. Glad it could help.

Brian