RTV power on hills

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
<div>Well, we've covered a lot of ground on shifting issues, particularlyon hills.

I've been trying different techniques for hill climbing and have been finding that the instinctive FLOOR IT may not be the best approach when climbing steep hills.

Here's what I've found so far when climbing steep hills:
When I first got my RTV, I would apply full throttle and keep the pedal to the floor and the RTV will bog down. If I'm in the wrong range, I could easily stall it.

A couple months ago, I found that when doing the same (floor it) once it started bogging down, if I let off the pedal a little, the engine RPM's would go back up and provide more torque.

Yesterday (OK, I'll admit I'm a little slow... This only took me 6 months to try
redface.gif
).
I tried climbing the hills using approximately 50% throttle. It climbed the hills with absolutely no problem. Didn't bog down or anything. I need to try this technique a bit more (with different loads and in different ranges), but it seems based on just a little testing that this may be the correct approach.

What is everyone else doing on the steep hills?

Brian</div>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
<div>Well, we've covered a lot of ground on shifting issues, particularlyon hills.

I've been trying different techniques for hill climbing and have been finding that the instinctive FLOOR IT may not be the best approach when climbing steep hills.

Here's what I've found so far when climbing steep hills:
When I first got my RTV, I would apply full throttle and keep the pedal to the floor and the RTV will bog down. If I'm in the wrong range, I could easily stall it.

A couple months ago, I found that when doing the same (floor it) once it started bogging down, if I let off the pedal a little, the engine RPM's would go back up and provide more torque.

Yesterday (OK, I'll admit I'm a little slow... This only took me 6 months to try
redface.gif
).
I tried climbing the hills using approximately 50% throttle. It climbed the hills with absolutely no problem. Didn't bog down or anything. I need to try this technique a bit more (with different loads and in different ranges), but it seems based on just a little testing that this may be the correct approach.

What is everyone else doing on the steep hills?

Brian</div>

G

I've found exactly the same thing. Thats how every Kubota hydrostatic drives as well, I just seems more pronounced on the RTV. That, or its easier to mash the pedal [:)].

G

I've found exactly the same thing. Thats how every Kubota hydrostatic drives as well, I just seems more pronounced on the RTV. That, or its easier to mash the pedal [:)].

Dargo

That is not only the case on the RTV's, but also on their hydro tractors. While clearing the heavy snow we just got, I found that when I really had a huge amount of snow in front pushing it with my loader and I began to bog down, I could back off to about half throttle and I seemed to increase engine RPM's and that gave me more power. Same deal with the RTV.

Now in the heavy snow on my Rhino, mash it to the floor in 4X4 (front and rear diff locked) and hold on!! No technique required.[:D]

Dargo

That is not only the case on the RTV's, but also on their hydro tractors. While clearing the heavy snow we just got, I found that when I really had a huge amount of snow in front pushing it with my loader and I began to bog down, I could back off to about half throttle and I seemed to increase engine RPM's and that gave me more power. Same deal with the RTV.

Now in the heavy snow on my Rhino, mash it to the floor in 4X4 (front and rear diff locked) and hold on!! No technique required.[:D]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Dean,

Keep the posts coming. We need more RTV activity on this site.

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Dean,

Keep the posts coming. We need more RTV activity on this site.

Brian

Archdean

Brian,
I'll try but I have limited experience with this animal so far!
I will try to answer your questions should you have any,if I am able to add something unique or otherwise not readily available !

Archdean

Brian,
I'll try but I have limited experience with this animal so far!
I will try to answer your questions should you have any,if I am able to add something unique or otherwise not readily available !

cypressman

I posted an RTV problem over on the utility vehicles section, It's pretty long, so I won't re-post it here. If you guys will go over and take a look, I'll appreciate any advice you might offer.

cypressman

cypressman

I posted an RTV problem over on the utility vehicles section, It's pretty long, so I won't re-post it here. If you guys will go over and take a look, I'll appreciate any advice you might offer.

cypressman